PDA

View Full Version : Headlight project

Trolkar
29-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Hi all!

I have decided to upgrade my headlights before the dark and cold winter in Denmark.

My plan is too switch from European headlights (The ones with separate blinker and headlight) to JDM headlights (Blinker and headlights all in one).
At the same time, I want to install HID xenon projectors.

But before starting, I have 2 minor issues. – The first is mainly “design”. – I have bought a 2,5” Bi xenon projector kit. – The originally plan was to fit it in the “outer” position (H7), and leave the original H1 for high beam. (Running low beam in outer, and High beam in both outer/inner).

But now I don’t know. Would it be more “clean”, if I install projectors in both “outer/inner” (H7/H1). – If doing so, would I want them both running “Bixenon”, or maybe “Bixenon in the outer and Highbeam in the inner? What say you guys? Some of you runs “dual” projectors, and some runs “single”.

And how about the “parking light?” – Do I use the CCFL, or both the original (5W bulb) and CCFL maybe?

My second issue the “Height adjustment” – My European lights have a small electronic engine, which allows me to adjust the “height” of the light. Yes, self-leveling shocks do a great job, but I like to “aim a bit higher” when driving alone late at night.
As I can see it, it is not possibly to use the electric adjustment? – Or what have I missed?

Nick Mann
29-09-2013, 07:16 AM
This is a project I keep thinking about too.
The only question I can answer with certainty is that height adjustment and jdm one piece headlights are not compatible.
Whatever you decide about the rest, please keep us posted!

Gingerfish
29-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I did have twin projectors but only ran standard 100w xenon bulbs through them. I can tell you now, they were SHOCKINGLY bad!
Standard bulbs through projector lights....... No.

You definately need an HID conversion to run them, in order to actually see anything.
I've been having a little think about trying something for my own JDM headlights. I don't like the yellow sidelights as they don't go with my now white foglights.

I thought about maybe buying one of those sticky-back Audi style strip lights and running it round the outside of the main beam reflector to replace the small side bulbs.

I use 100w xenon super-white bulbs in my standard headlights and I find those plenty bright enough.

GalantOnly
29-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Troels
You must keep another thing in mind... In Denmark, the vehicles only allowed to have max. two low beam lamps. So if you'll install two bi-xenon projectors in the each headlamp and in that case have four low beam lamps, you might experience some minor MOT issues
About the height adjustment... There's just no hole for the adjustment motor in JDM headlamps. But if you can somehow cut it throught the plastic to the exact shape as EUDM lamps have, you'll have the headlamp adjustment /yes
And if the hole is not exactly as you want it to be, you can always use the windscreen sealer to close the gaps forever

Trolkar
29-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Well then. Don’t want any problems with the MOT. And really don’t want to do anything illegal. (Besides sometimes given the “leggy” a good blast away from Audi’s  )

Then, the setup is either:

1 projector running bi xenon, and 1 standard H1
2 projectors, 1 running low beam xenon, and 1 running high beam

Or, 2 projectors, 1 running low / high beam, and 1 running high beam

Cutting the hole SHOULD be easy with a Dremmel… But do I dare?
(Besides that, the parabolic must be fitted with a “Ball-joint”)

Maybe, I should go with the EUDM lights with just one bi xenon projector for a start…

swinks
29-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, I made many sets already so here few tips for you.
Don't go with JDM plastic lights. Plastic perspex is fading and ageing hence you always get slightly milky light dispersion. Not good. EU glass units are miles better. And you have motorized height adjustments.
If still gonna play with JDM, then retrofit of motors is PITA job and not worth a hassle, also prone to premature fail.

Basicaly you can use CCFL rings as parking lights, feed inverters directly from battery by relay driven by signal from sidelights. If you do so, then you can paint black matt finish all interior reflectors, headlights look is much better this way.

You have 2.5in units. You will need to trim to shape internal black bazel, upper and lower part, otherwise you will get vertical movement fouled.

Kenneth
29-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I have twin bi-xenon projectors in my headlights. I used LED rings which are wired up as parking lights. As Tomasz suggested, this allowed me to have everything else black inside the headlight.

I run 2 relay kits so one kit runs the outer, and one the inner. Each is run from a different side of the car so that I can use a patch harness to switch between all 4 on at once to having just the outer on and all on high beam when high beam is on (this is for our WOF inspection, since it is technically a fail to have more that 1 set of main headlights)

Results are excellent. With all 4 on, I don't need high beam much but when the are on, it might as well be daytime.

I did this because I live rurally in a place renowned for its bad fog and would now rate it one of the best mods to do.

Trolkar
29-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Right then:

Twin bi xenon kit.
CCFL as parking light.
Matt black housing.
EUDM Glass Head lights.

Better go shopping ;-)

MarkSanne
30-09-2013, 10:29 AM
The headlight motorized function has been done before :) By me, and apparently a few others have also done it too (see the link to Jan4iks headlight project) . My description with pictures is here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?58964-Makeover-VR2-welded-new-rear-arches-amp-custom-front-bumper&p=658527&viewfull=1#post658527

They are on the car for 2 years now without any problems.

Trolkar
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
MarkSanne... I will go with EUDM lights to start with.

How long time does it takes to disamble the housing?

MarkSanne
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Half an hour / 40 minutes for both.

Trolkar
01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
What? - No more? Great! Perhaps tonight is the night :-)

Trolkar
21-10-2013, 08:14 PM
The results...

Looks nice.

I am pleased with the looks. But the wiring has to be redone. The wires provided with the kit is okay for standard cars. – But not for a VR4. – It has to be perfect length etc.
The output of the projectors are “okay”. I think the Xenon bulbs are “low quality”. – Yes, it is better than standard, but not quite as perfect.

According to the Danish law, the outer lights are “Low/high beam”, and the inner lights are only “high beam” when the outer are on high beam…. And with 4 times Xenon on High beam, even a lorry are complete blinded.

Only one small issue. – The lamps are fogging. The heat generated by the bulbs are not enough to dry them out. – Any good advise?