PDA

View Full Version : AAaaaarrrrgggggg cooling system related questions....

Ghost_2008
05-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys,

So here's the thing, as some of you may have seen from previous posts I have had issues with my cooling system for a while now. The issue started with a temp increase at stand still but at normal driving speed all was well, this turned out to be a leaking water pump. This was changed as was cam belts etc at Eurospec, however during the journey to finding out what was wrong I also changed the thermostat and rad cap, both replacement items bought at Euro Car Parts. After the initial work all seemed well, until I drove the car virtually all day, the coolant level had dropped and the temp rose once again.

When I got home I drained down the system and replaced the coolant. At no point has the car stopped working because of this nor has the temperature reach catastrophic level.

I have not found any leaks, I recently had the car on the ramp for an MOT and both myself and the tester looked under the car for any possible signs, nothing what so ever, except for what looked like coolant coming from the overflow pipe connected to coolant reservoir.

Following this, I was checking the pipes etc and I noticed that if I squeeze the top rad pipe gently I can hear the water flow into the reservoir......

Now surely if the cooling system is meant to be pressurised in order to prevent the coolant from boiling I should not be able to gently move water past the rad cap?

I therefore purchased a Rali art cap from Japan, that arrived today... I fitted it and the same occurs.... water can easily move past the rad cap into the overflow...... I would assume that this would allow the coolant in the system to boil at a lower temperature, causing the coolant to expand and simply fill the reservoir and exit through the overflow?

Hence the drop in coolant level...... As above this is not happening during short journeys or journeys where I am not hitting high speeds......

I have regularly checked the engine oil and that is absolutely fine, there is no crap in the coolant again this seems clean and clear....

So I took one of the rubber seals off the "old" rad cap and fitted this to the new rad cap, this now makes a seal and the water does not easily move past the cap and into the reservoir..... I took the car for a short drive and the reservoir filled as it should but I did notice that the top rad pipe was a little swollen...... the temperature reading on the dash was perfect, 2 or 3 notches below half way and it stayed that way, there was no lose in coolant.......

1. Is my understanding of the rad cap correct, or could anyone take a quick look at there's, squeeze the top rad pipe and see/hear if coolant can move freely into the reservoir.

2. Could the swollen pipe simply be due to the new rad cap holding pressure at 1.3 bar instead of the standard 0.9 bar?

Any assistance would be great....

Cheers

Adam

wintertidenz
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
These cars always seem to spit a bit of water out, mine empties the overflow on a semi-regular basis but the radiator is always full.

The water shouldn't flow freely into the reservoir, mine doesn't seem to do it unless you squeeze that top hose hard.

I'd say that the swollen pipe could either be the top hose deteriorating, or the pressure - it's hard to tell exactly. I'd replace all the old hoses myself before I upped the pressure of the rad cap - just for peace of mind.

MarkSanne
05-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Interesting topic for menno3x8g

Davezj
06-10-2013, 12:25 AM
this issue seems familier.

i think a lot of people have issues with the cooling system, and quite a few have issues with just the rad cap, the seals perish/harden and allow coolant passed when the top rad hose is squeezed. this is exactly what happened to me. and this is only directed at my stupidity for buying cheap crap from ebay.
they then buy a replacement rad cap from ebay or somewhere like that and the rad cap that you buy gets fitted and it still lets the coolant passed the seals because it is crap rad cap, it is faulty, it does not work. but because it is a new rad cap it is assumed to be OK. and it is not tested properly. So what do you do now, you start looking at other parts in the cooling system to change.
you need to be careful that the parts you buy are actually doing what they should be.

if you buy a so called branded rad cap with HKS, ralliart, blitz, etc, sticker on the to of it and it cost about £10 it is not the real item from a reputable company, particularly if it is post from china or Hong Kong.
if you look on some asian selling websites you can buy rad caps for next to nothing with any company name sticker on them for about £2 each or even less.

what you need to do to diagnose a rad cap issue is swap with your mates rad cap, then you know it working correctly and see if solves you problem and causes a problem for you mates car. Then source a rad cap and it should fix you issue, if it does not then you know you have been sold a dodgy rad cap, and you should send it back and get your money back and go buy a proper car from somewhere else.

rajvr497
06-10-2013, 02:25 AM
I experienced this similar problem. I replaced my stock rad and fans with the aftermarket mishimoto aluminum 2 row rad plus fans and was still getting the same problem. So i wired the two fans direct and it helped a lot. Occasionally when i'm using A/C the temp still increases higher than normal. I think using aftermarket thermostat can also help a lot....

Ghost_2008
06-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I do try not to buy cheap carp which is why I usually avoid the bay of e and buy through firms such as camskill etc......

The rail art rad cap was purchased through a Japanese firm and was posted from Japan, the only thing I can think of I replaced my rad with a camskill jobbie a couple of years ago...,... Either this all very annoying and has never been an issue before in the 6 years of ownership....

Well I'm going for a drive today and I will see how she goes......

Can anyone direct me to a decent retailer for good quality hoses, top and bottom of the rad?

Thanks again

gazmk2
06-10-2013, 06:54 PM
These cars do have an odd cooling system from what I've been told! Mine will not keep coolant in the header tank but the rad stays full and it's never even nearly overheated!

paulg23
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Mine also has a permanently empty header tank but the rad is always full. Done a 120,000Km like this. Had a new rad about 50,000Km ago (old one split) made no difference.

Gingerfish
06-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Same here. I have a 1.3bar rad cap. Radiator always full. Empty header tank. Never overheated.

Did a bit of investigating a couple of months ago but couldn't find a reason or a problem. I left it after that and it's still working fine.

rajvr497
06-10-2013, 10:21 PM
anyone have temp probs occasionally when using A/C.by the way i don't have any thermotat in........

markysparky
06-10-2013, 10:25 PM
This may have no relevance whatsoever but i will share none the less. My 2000 fl had a weird loss of coolant a few of months back, initial thoughts were it was down to aftermarket bottom rad hose weeping, purchased a mitsi oem with new clips. Still the expansion bottle emptied itself by being too full when hot. so did the obvious, got new rad cap and thermostat. Nope still emptied expansion bottle when hot......:bigcry: Feeling the top hose it had similar temp as bottom (stat is working) but it did feel a bit firmer, so the nasty question revolving around my head 'is the gasket on its way?' I continued driving it for a couple of weeks, topping the coolant up when required. Got bored of the endless re-filling and decided to give it a thorough bleeding. Let the engine get up to operating temp then got the throttle to 5500rpm for 3mins. Expansion bottle about to overflow, Loosened stat bleed screw and hey presto more spouts of bubbles. Had a colleague vary the revs as i adjusted the stat screw and eventually got to a point where i couldn't see any more bubblets.
Left the car overnight, checked expansion bottle in the morn and there was abought 5mm in the bottom of bottle. topped up to the minimum mark. Drove the 7 miles to work and popped the hood and noticed coolant..... spot on on max mark in expansion bottle, no more signs of loss. Its been like that for a good couple of months now :dance:
It appeared there was still an air pocket in the system and obviously heating up and displacing all the coolant, i thought that the 2 times i bled it were sufficient enough..........obviously not!

So the moral of this one is if 'If you think you have done a good job of bleeding the coolant system'. DO IT AGAIN .........AND AGAIN........AND AGAIN just to be sure!:thumbsup:

Davezj
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
funny you should say that about the bleeding coolant.

i had to change my rad recently die to it cracking, so i went for a duel core alloy one.
when i was bleeding the cooling sstem there seemed an endless supply of bubbles coming ou out the rad. so i got a funnel of the correct diameter so it just tightly fitted inside the neck of the radiator filler cap topped up the coolant and left it idling, then reving then idleing. the coolant expaned into the funnel way above the neck of the rad fillor hole and bubbled and coolant level dropped and topped up again, it bubble and topped up again. this continued for a bit untill when bubles came out the coolan did not drop. so this was the coolant boiling rather than trapped air. so i switched off the engine allowed thing to cool down then topped up coolant and ran the engine again and no bubbles.
so i put the cap back on and all has been well ever since no coolant loss. i had put this down to the new alloy rad keeping things cooler but it could equally be down to the most excelent bleed funnel i found in the shed, no mess either.

you might be on to something there mark.

markysparky
07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
It must be down to the multitude of narrow water ways and lots of little areas for air to get trapped in? I think the answer is...... get the water pump going hammer and tong to sufficiently get the coolant moving fast enough to drag all the air pockets out :D

WOODY72
07-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I had trouble bleeding the cooling system of a car I used to own, so I used to drive it up ramps or jack the front right up in the air so the radiator was the highest point and do it from there, hey presto no more problems. Wonder if it would work with ours, or make it easier?

markysparky
09-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I had trouble bleeding the cooling system of a car I used to own, so I used to drive it up ramps or jack the front right up in the air so the radiator was the highest point and do it from there, hey presto no more problems. Wonder if it would work with ours, or make it easier?
I like your thinking :)
Definitely worth a pop next time i drain it or it drains itself. Just got to find some ramps i can drive up without wedging them under the bumper LOL