PDA

View Full Version : Enough standing in the shadows

kiwigalant
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Hey fellas, new guy here from New Zealand. My name's Craig and I have a crappy 96 VRG in silver. I've been wanting to get a VR4 for a long time and just haven't been able to make the swap. The 4G93 GDI isn't exactly a performer and couldn't push me back into my seat if I tried. Also sick of either feeling under-steering or worrying about it and want to get rid of the slushbox tiptronic for a box of gears and a stick.

Now I haven't done much to it other than putting in an aftermarket stereo and swapping the MMCS for a simple air con control and double DIN. Replaced the flush black side skirts with ones from a PFL VR4 and would like to convert the rest of the exterior to make me feel a little more satisfied. I have crazy ideas about replacing the engine but then reality kicks in and tells me selling the thing will be a lot easier and cheaper.

Lately I've been repairing my front bumper's broken tabs and the lip on one side which was broken before, but it isn't going well and can't be bothered with it anymore. So I'm looking to buy a VR4 front bumper (prefacelift or facelift) in decent condition and in 'Hamilton Silver' so I don't ruin it with my dodgy painting skills. I go to Hamilton twice a week living only 45 minutes away and will be going up to Auckland next tuesday. Otherwise I'll look at PickAPart although there seems to be only one or two silver VR4s and they have been there a month or so.

Anyway, cheers everyone I'm excited about becoming part of the club here.

elnevio
09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
/Welcome

crazydriver81
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Welcome Craig...and pictures are a must! :)

Davezj
09-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.

sound like you have your hands full, good luck with the build.

kiwigalant
10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys, I'll post up some pictures after I get it looking a tad better.

kiwigalant
13-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Just thought I would ask again. Does anybody here have a silver front bumper they can sell and live in the upper north island? I can't seem to start a thread in the parts for sale/wanted forum, but can't figure out if its supposed to be like that.

Bender
13-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Welcome to ClubVR4 Craig.

Probably find that you can't start new thread in the parts sale forum is due to you not having 10 or more post.

Have you try pick-a-part and trademe?

kiwigalant
13-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Welcome to ClubVR4 Craig.

Probably find that you can't start new thread in the parts sale forum is due to you not having 10 or more post.

Have you try pick-a-part and trademe?
Cheers Ben. Yeah nothing on trademe, but I'm going to have a look at all three Auckland pickaparts on tuesday. Avondale has a silver VR4 thats been there a month and Mangere has three silver 8G's including apparently an EC5W with a 1.8L engine lol.

Bender
14-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Cheers Ben. Yeah nothing on trademe, but I'm going to have a look at all three Auckland pickaparts on tuesday. Avondale has a silver VR4 thats been there a month and Mangere has three silver 8G's including apparently an EC5W with a 1.8L engine lol.

Was/is a Silver Galant VR4 at Tauranga pick-a-part and still had the bumper on but can't remember what condition the bumper was in. If need be I can go and have a look for you.

kiwigalant
14-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Was/is a Silver Galant VR4 at Tauranga pick-a-part and still had the bumper on but can't remember what condition the bumper was in. If need be I can go and have a look for you.

Yeah saw that on their stock list, would be good if you could have a look if you're going there anyway, but don't go just for me lol. Ill let you know if I end up getting one in Auckland tomorrow.

Bender
14-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah saw that on their stock list, would be good if you could have a look if you're going there anyway, but don't go just for me lol. Ill let you know if I end up getting one in Auckland tomorrow.

Pick-a-part is just down the road from work so I will stop in on my way home and have look see if it still here and will take some photos of it. for you.

SEAN-NZ
14-10-2013, 09:01 AM
the silver galant vr4 front bumper is stuffed, thats the car i got the gearbox, engine mount, and a couple other things out of

Bender
14-10-2013, 09:26 AM
the silver galant vr4 front bumper is stuffed, thats the car i got the gearbox, engine mount, and a couple other things out of

Is it? I didn't take much of look at the bumper when I was getting few things off it... Save me a trip I guess...

SEAN-NZ
14-10-2013, 09:31 AM
yeah, would be a waste of time to attempt to repair, kind of looks like the driver hit something i think, doesnt explain why the car was at pick a part though

kiwigalant
14-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Bugger cheers Sean and thanks anyway Ben.

Bender
14-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I would say the engine was stuff.. Only reason I can think of why it was here.

No worrys, Good luck with getting one Craig.

elnevio
14-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Stick up a 'wanted' thread in the Newbies area, and one of us can move it to the correct forum. :thumbsup:

The restrictions are in place to prevent bods simply turning up just to sell their wares. So we have no problems making exceptions for genuine folk, especially when they're WTB threads.

Dan13
14-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi there my name is Danielle yes Iam a girl that absolutely loves cars and Iam 29 and have 1999 legnum vr4facelift model in pearl white just thought I would introduce myself I've had a few problems like I had a horrible shacking going on when accelerated and it was that bad it shook the bonnet up and smashed my windscreen got that repaired and have now found that my drive shafts need replacing the cv boot is completed goosed so if there is any one on here that has the front drive shafts I need them please I will upload photos but don't know how

kiwigalant
17-10-2013, 07:59 AM
I would say the engine was stuff.. Only reason I can think of why it was here.

No worrys, Good luck with getting one Craig.

No luck in Auckland, they were all screwed and not worth it. All I ended up getting was 3 fog light switches, a couple of relays and a traction control switch with the black panel because it looked cool lol. There was a set of 4 stud Mitsubishi alloys for $150 at Avondale I think that caught my eye but didn't get them.

Bender
17-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Ask these seller to see if they still have the bumper, They are in white

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mitsubishi/accessories/auction-651602632.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mitsubishi/accessories/auction-651602632.htm

kiwigalant
17-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Ask these seller to see if they still have the bumper, They are in white

Alright I'll give it a shot, do you think most of the cars being wrecked on trademe have bumpers in bad condition? I guess I can just ask.

Bender
17-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Alright I'll give it a shot, do you think most of the cars being wrecked on trademe have bumpers in bad condition? I guess I can just ask.

It hard to say really, Sometimes they wreck a car cause they can, Nothing wrong with it. If it not the same colour, Won't you get it painted?

kiwigalant
17-10-2013, 09:14 AM
It hard to say really, Sometimes they wreck a car cause they can, Nothing wrong with it. If it not the same colour, Won't you get it painted?

Yeah I think I've gone about it in a stupid way, just not sure how much it would be to get it done, I was going to do a DIY paint job on my old VRG bumper.

Bender
17-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah I think I've gone about it in a stupid way, just not sure how much it would be to get it done, I was going to do a DIY paint job on my old VRG bumper.

I don't think it will any more then $150-$200 to a paint a bumper, I would ring few places for a price. Doing it DIY never going to look as good.

kiwigalant
17-10-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't think it will any more then $150-$200 to a paint a bumper, I would ring few places for a price. Doing it DIY never going to look as good.

Hmm I'll get it done properly then and maybe get a VR4 rear bumper done at the same time. Ugh money.