PDA

View Full Version : Air intake plenum modified to larger diameter intake?

MarkSanne
11-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Last week I did some work on the old VR2 (new clutch, fresh fluids, new suspension arms straight and curved, new axles, new custom downpipe) and while I had to get the V6 N/A throttle body back on the VR4 intake plenum (which is a PITA) but I wanted this setup mainly because of the factory cruise control which I enjoy very much on long trips.

Then I started to wonder how much of a difference in diameter both really are. So I took my gauge caliper and measured the V6 N/A throttle body opening diameter and then the VR4 intake plenum opening. The VR4 intake opening is 5mm smaller. Hmm... As I was also replacing the steel gasket for a 3mm teflon (self cut) version (needed badly as the VR4 one doesn't cover a vacuum hole from the V6 N/A TB) I thought this was a good moment to start using my spare VR4 intake plenum and widen the opening. I used like 15-20 dremel grinding belts to get it done and actually ended up just over 5mm... oops. I don't think there is any harm in that, but...

Has this been done before and has anyone noticed or better yet: measured any differences?
I haven't mounted it yet, will probably do so this weekend.

V6 N/A TB opening diameter

VR4 stock inlet plenum opening diameter

Wider opening, more air, more power?!

Did a bit of polishing on the outside too just to make it look a bit more fresh :)

Stock VR4 vs teflon 3mm self cut gasket (great idea thanks to swinks)

FYI: rest of the setup on the engine is a very low down mounted K&N airfilter with quite slow bend to MAF, all 2.75" dual exhaust, no cat (I'm allergic), stock boost, stock IC.

Davezj
11-10-2013, 01:18 PM
swinks has done it before, and i have just bougt the V6 N/A throttle body and plenum off him as i could not find an auto throttle body with TCL for sale out in the wide world of the interweb.
it was the TCL bit that i wanted to i could continue to use it on my PFL.

I believe the facelift have the larger throttle bodies already. bbut i could be wrong.

swinks
11-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes, I did that. Thanks Dave for mention.
Just beware that vr4 opening hole although smaller is located in exact cenntre of flange, where v6 one is locatted slightly off-side.
In general, v6 throttle body has intake of 70mm and outlet of 75mm, vr4 is 65mm and outlet 70mm.
So, once you replace TB you won't fit plastic pfl elbow over v6 TB.

MarkSanne
11-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys! But Tomasz, did you find any effect from doing it?

BTW: The VR4 plastic elbow will fit over the V6 N/A but it is insanely tight. I had to use black gasket silicone kit and glue the rubber grommet onto the inside of the plastic elbow or it won't stay in place. But ever since I can get it on and off although I usually need to use a bit of spit to get it to slide over (it's such versatile stuff to get things going!).

Davezj
11-10-2013, 04:27 PM
i have not even had a chance to unpack the one i got off tomasz. so this weekend i will have a look. i have just bought some new plugs to go in when i change it over.

fassi1
11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
I usually need to use a bit of spit to get it to slide over (it's such versatile stuff to get things going!).
I would recommend silicone grease for this kind of operations :)