PDA

View Full Version : 3 Bars on the AYC

Sulli
04-02-2005, 10:49 PM
How often eh?
I find it's fairly easy to get 1 bar up on the AYC, and 3 bars takes a little more effort - particularly easy though on a negative camber corner/roundabout.
Only problem I find is that I am trying to get a view through the steering wheel to see how many bars I have, rather than concentrating on my exit point of the corner and balancing the opposite lock :laugh:
Now I have got the balance of the car, I can see the attraction for taking it on a track - and I would be out there next week if it weren't for the risk of a costly gearbox/tyres/brakes/clutch etc replacement.

Spirit
04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Stuff the costs.....get it out on track man......3 AYC lights all the way !!!

Nick Mann
04-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Start with a cheapie at JapFest in May.

The maximum cost for a track session will be £40, you will only be on track with fellow club members and you can take the 15 minutes as gently as you want!

Three bars is easy in low gear. If you get three bars in third, then maybe you shouldn't be on the track anyway!!

SGHOM
04-02-2005, 11:27 PM
, rather than concentrating on my exit point of the corner and balancing the opposite lock :laugh:
opposite lock ???
The AYC will take care of that unless you go beyond 3 AYC lights !! thats when the fun begins !! [ inserts big grinning smiley face manually ]

Nick Mann
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Actually, I think that may be right Derek. The only times I have applied opposite lock is with three lights? With the throttle anyway.

Sulli
24-02-2005, 11:33 PM
I had 3 bars doing 70+ in 3rd around an almost right angle bend, keeping up with a very well driven UK300 Imprza Sti, last week.
He entered the corner faster, but I exited faster, overtaking him on the straight after getting on the power earlier.
Slow in, fast out catchy catchy :thumbsup:

HJM
25-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Sulli - your signature says 'lunatic' - and you're not going out on track ???????????????

Suggest you either get out on track (guaranteed you'll be hooked :thumbsup: ) or change your signature to 'controlled lunatic'

You have obviously discovered how to corner the thing - why not just do it faster and better (and much safer) on track ?

Heath

Sulli
25-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Oh i've been on a track before, but there's no way the VR4 is seeing a track.
Long term, if I can afford it, i'll get a Pug 1.9 Gti for track days - if I blow the engine on that, or whatever else, then it won't matter so much.

jeff
25-02-2005, 10:30 AM
C'mon Sulli!! Get it on the track!!!! Pug 1.9? Yeah good, but VR4, hello? don't be a wuss!!! :embarasse

Think of the damage a tree on a right hand bend at 70 catching a scooby will do........... :helmet:

Polabear
25-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I had 3 bars doing 70+ in 3rd around an almost right angle bend, keeping up with a very well driven UK300 Imprza Sti, last week.
He entered the corner faster, but I exited faster, overtaking him on the straight after getting on the power earlier.
Slow in, fast out catchy catchy :thumbsup:

Had an experience like that last week coming home from work against one of those big fatassed big winged supras, trouble was I came out of the bend so quick I nearly ended up in his big fatassed rear end cos he had backed off after I saw his big rearend wagging horribly from side to side.... /yes :rolleyes4 wouldn't have liked to be in his cabin after that...bet it smelled a bit... :uhoh2: he did look a bit shaken as I passed him with a :thumbsup:

I would love to get her out on the track, but its the booking in for 4 new tyres , discs and pads the next day I can't handle financially at present, plus the fact, hopefully she is sold.

pezza
25-02-2005, 11:27 AM
YOU'RE ALLL CRAZED :rolleyes4 ALL OV YA /yes /lol

Dan_G
25-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Why go to one bar when you can go to three? :rolleyes3

Mines a pint..... /yes

Jimbo
25-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Does anybody find it as hard as I do to actually read the AYC leds?

I find my combination of height with the Momo steering wheel obstructs the view of it when cornering.....but it's so addictive finding out "how many bars you go that time" that I'm always peering over the top of the steering wheel mid-corner!! Not ideal whilst correcting a four wheel drift on a damp road :rolleyes4

matsondawson
25-02-2005, 01:08 PM
I always assume that there are 3 bars up, no need to look at all.

HJM
26-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Does anybody find it as hard as I do to actually read the AYC leds?

I find my combination of height with the Momo steering wheel obstructs the view of it when cornering.....but it's so addictive finding out "how many bars you go that time" that I'm always peering over the top of the steering wheel mid-corner!! Not ideal whilst correcting a four wheel drift on a damp road :rolleyes4

Now the VR4 is my daily drive, I have noticed the same problem - is it bad that I shut my eyes in the fast corners :oops:

J :embarasse

Sulli
26-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I suppose a track day won't do any additional harm :evil2:
I have planned for new tyres before June, so that's not a worry - the brakes though are new but standard - those pads won't last a lap /help

HJM
26-02-2005, 10:36 AM
I suppose a track day won't do any additional harm :evil2:
I have planned for new tyres before June, so that's not a worry - the brakes though are new but standard - those pads won't last a lap /help

Yey - way to go Sulli - you know it makes sense :thumbsup: I was dubious about taking it on the track initially until some wise soul talked some sense into me :happy:

You may be right about those standard brakes though :rolleyes4

I don't know if I have been really lucky, but I had a new set of tyres and National Discs/Ferodo pads for Trax and they are still the same ones (albeit ready for replacement now !) and I've done 10,000 miles including Trax, Combe and full days at Elvington, Donington and Combe - and I'm not gentle on these track days :rolleyes4

So, you coming to JapFest then?? I think Nick will need to know very soon if you are /yes

Smokinmasta2
26-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Wooo hooo - got three bars up today!! TCL off, greasy roundabout, Tip locked in third, nail it..................
............After rubbing my left arm for several minutes and hoping the pain would go away shortly (this being due to the missus thumping me several times and calling me several unprintable things - which generally questioned my parentage, things that involved me going to the doctor and having something sewn back on, various referances to farmyard animals.....)
I still had this silly grin, said missus thought i was mocking her and thought about giving me another dose.............i pleaded "I'm not laughing at you honest sweetheart, i had three lights"
Giving me a strange look deserved but such peeps as axe murderers, rapists and Smokers (i smoke which does not help!!).............
"What the feck are you on about"? she moaned
"Three lights" I stated "only a few peeps in the world will understand"..........

BTW, i'm goin to be booked into the shrink on Monday, according to the better half..........as she went off muttering about 3 lights and "that bloody car"............

Smokin.................

psbarham
26-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Wooo hooo - got three bars up today!! TCL off, greasy roundabout, Tip locked in third, nail it..................
............After rubbing my left arm for several minutes and hoping the pain would go away shortly (this being due to the missus thumping me several times and calling me several unprintable things - which generally questioned my parentage, things that involved me going to the doctor and having something sewn back on, various referances to farmyard animals.....)
I still had this silly grin, said missus thought i was mocking her and thought about giving me another dose.............i pleaded "I'm not laughing at you honest sweetheart, i had three lights"
Giving me a strange look deserved but such peeps as axe murderers, rapists and Smokers (i smoke which does not help!!).............
"What the feck are you on about"? she moaned
"Three lights" I stated "only a few peeps in the world will understand"..........

BTW, i'm goin to be booked into the shrink on Monday, according to the better half..........as she went off muttering about 3 lights and "that bloody car"............

Smokin.................
thats the way a-ha a-ha ...........................................

SGHOM
26-02-2005, 09:56 PM
thats the way a-ha a-ha ...........................................
:embarasse :embarasse I like it !! /yes /yes

psbarham
26-02-2005, 10:52 PM
:embarasse :embarasse I like it !! /yes /yes

you fogot the' a-ha a-ha'

Yoda
28-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Anyone got a photo off the 3 lights on the dash? (Hopefully not lit!)

Never seen this, kind of worked out what it is, I think, but what does 1 light, 2 lights, 3 lights mean in terms of technicalities?

Research progresses,

Robert

Freddy
28-02-2005, 02:50 AM
It looks like this !

Smokinmasta2
28-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Anyone got a photo off the 3 lights on the dash? (Hopefully not lit!)

Never seen this, kind of worked out what it is, I think, but what does 1 light, 2 lights, 3 lights mean in terms of technicalities?

Research progresses,

Robert

YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM????!!!! are ya driving like my mother??!!!! :embarasse
Sorry only kidding with ya m8!!!
Have to be giving it a fairly large one to get three lit mind!!
But fairly easy at the mo what with the cr*p weather we are having - or good depends on your view point!!!???

Smokin...............