PDA

View Full Version : fitting evo 5 seats

c0xxy
29-10-2013, 06:37 PM
spent a fair bit of time trying to find a guide on doing this... didn't find one so just went at it taking photos as i went!

i will say now, a down side of the way i've done it is the seat it a good bit higher than standard.

first off, removed me seat, then stripped it down to its rails.
took the back off first, two clips, one either side need knocking in with a screwdriver then the back pulls up:
you then need to pull the material away on one side
to reveal two bolts, remove these:
on the other side, remove the bolt and then the whole back should pull away:
to remove the base, remove the carpety trim thing followed by the four bolts on the bottom.
1 on the seatbelt side trim. 2 screws on the levers which pull off, piece of trim behind back adjuster, clip on each height adjuster ( horse shoe shape, used pliers to knock each side off)
the base should now pull away, remove last few bits of trim
which should leave you with the frame. the bits that hold the back on are in the way so off they came

the recaro seat is a bit easier. remove the four bolts, followed by the second two

next thing was to get the bottom of the standard seat to fit the recaro!
first remove the material
to leave just the base, remove the side bits (i used an angle grinder) to leave this:

against the bottom of the recaros
i lined up the, front seat belt side, bolt hole with an existing rivet hole, drilled it out and put a bolt in. moved the base so the rear seat belt side bolt hole was covered and drilled another hole and in with a bolt
the adjuster side is slightly harder as the base doesnt quite reach, but easily rectified
small cut to the front corner and bend the whole side down
this gives enough meat to drill another two holes and bang some more bolts in. to add strength im going to run a few rivets down the orange lines. i just wanted to fit n test drive before i did any more.
standard rails straight back on
and straight back into car

jobs a good'un

few last words
obviously the rails need cleaning up where they were cut.
while putting them back in the car, i noticed the silver base sticks out the back of the recaros, that will probably damage some shins.
the positioning thing, the lowest it goes is probably about he full height of the standard. it wont go furthest forward with me sat in with out crushing my legs.

overall, still a dam site better, i like kissing the windscreen and prefer the adjust ability being around a higher more forward position.

if you wind the rear adjuster down as far as possible, the plastic will touch the seat and squeak like crazy.

hoping this helps someone! i'd have done this when i got the seats months ago instead of thinking something was gona need welding

ash

crazydriver81
29-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Looks good Ash. I bought myself a set of Recaro rails off a Super to fit my Evo9 Recaros. However, I also noticed that the seating position is higher than standard. By using he OE rails, this ould have been a straight swap job though.

Good effort! Enjoy the new seating feeling. :)