PDA

View Full Version : Removing struts

status
05-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey there.
Was wondering how much of a mission it was to swap struts over as I have coilovers and the original struts for my vr4. I need to get the rear coilovers out for a warrant. Can anyone provide a tutorial on how to do it?
Would rather do it myself if possible
Cheers

Nick Mann
05-02-2005, 10:00 PM
There's a cracker in the members area. Articles section.

Spirit
05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Welcome Status - as Nick said, the members area is full of useful tips, discounts and money saving articles.

Only $20NZ to join and you will save this on this one job alone !

Kenneth
05-02-2005, 10:13 PM
It's very easy to do. Takes me about an hour to do all 4 by myself, although some bits are much easier with some help

Fortunatly, the back ones are the easiest!
Here is how

1) Jack the car up (best to jack up so you can do both at once, saves much hassle)
2) Take off the wheels
3) Undo the bolt at the back of where the strut connects to the hub area. ( i think its 17mm) This is the round bit at the bottom of the strut.
4) Get into the car ( you may need to remove the back seats. ) and find the 2 nuts at the top of the strut, undo these most of the way.
5) persuade the strut away from the bottom mount by pushing/kicking/hammering the bottom of the strut in towards the car.
6) remove the top nuts, the strut should fall out, unless you are holding it in which case you can just lower it and pull it out.

Of course putting the old stuff back is reverse of pulling it out, except that it can be difficult to push against the sway-bar to get the old struts bolted in properly. this is where having an assistant helps.

Alternativly, if you have to do one wheel at a time, or cant get the hub low enough to attach the bottom of the strut, you can un-hook the swaybar linkage. you will need 2 14mm spanners (narrow, eg ring spanners with one end open) one of wich is used against the bolt you can see, an the other which goes behind the mount to stop the bolt spinning.

I think that about covers it... Good luck.

The Vee
05-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Kenneth
05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Welcome Status - as Nick said, the members area is full of useful tips, discounts and money saving articles.

Only $20NZ to join and you will save this on this one job alone !

Yeah, please join...

I understand you may be in a hurry to get your warrant, so have provided instructions on this occasion :)

Why were you failed? I also am assuming by what you wrote that your rears failed, but not your fronts?

I passed on my height adjustable suspension, but then I didnt got to a testing station, went to a gaurage.

status
05-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Cheers for the help Kenneth, ill definetly look at doing it myself.
Its gonna cost me $380 for a cert for my coilovers so that leaves my wallet lookin pretty empty!
Spirit, i will sign up this week for full membership!

status
05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I need to get the rears out because the springs arent captive when at the lowest setting.
That means i have to get a helper or keeper spring put in them before i can get the cert. This is what the certifier told me.
Yeah, i thought i might get through a warrant sweet by jacking it up to standard height but they spotted them. Ahh well, been meaning to get them certed for a while now!