PDA

View Full Version : Clamps

fassi1
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm after advice on some good turbo pipe clamps.
I've just done boost leak test and unfortunately all the mikalor clamps were leaking.
I fitted stainless steel hard pipes with silicon joiners instead of stock flexi pipes and it looks like mikalor clamps don't shape nicely around pipes leaving tiny gaps. I've put all the old stock clamps back on and there is no leaks any more.
Basicly clamps have to be more flexible so they can shape nicely around the pipe.
Any recommendations?

Wodjno
02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I use Murray clamps and have for a long time now. They keep a constnt tension on the pipe, and also good as they are hard to over tighten. IMHO they are the Mutts Nutz /yes A simple but very effective twist on the humble Jubilee clip..

Cheers

Wodj

SGHOM
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
The only clamps I have don't fit cars ;)

TAR
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Murray constant tension clamps, as Wodj said. very good for turbo pipework.

see them here... http://www.murraycorp.com/constant-tension-clamps.html

go buy them from here... http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/hose_clamps.asp

If you call at the facory in Luton, you can get them for less than the website price. They are top guys there.

:happy:

fassi1
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I use Murray clamps and have for a long time now. They keep a constnt tension on the pipe, and also good as they are hard to over tighten. IMHO they are the Mutts Nutz /yes A simple but very effective twist on the humble Jubilee clip..

Cheers

Wodj

Sounds like the plan. Top advice as always.

fassi1
02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Murray constant tension clamps, as Wodj said. very good for turbo pipework.

see them here... http://www.murraycorp.com/constant-tension-clamps.html

go buy them from here... http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/hose_clamps.asp

If you call at the facory in Luton, you can get them for less than the website price. They are top guys there.

Are they based in Luton? here about?

swinks
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes, Murray clamps.
But unfortunately, there are few dealers selling poor quality clamps. Just week ago had to thow to the bin 2 clamps :(
Glenn (@Wodjno) hopefully will provide you with reliable seller.

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Tbh 2 out of 3 of those clamps are crap, they bit into the silicon joiners.

You must have some pretty crap mikalor clamps. The ones I have aren't them, just called t bolt clamps, same thing though haha.

I havent had a problem with them and find that they tighten and hold better than the normal ones that were there.

Just my two cents :)

fassi1
02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I bought mikalor clamps and that's what they have written on them but if they are mikalor clapmp I have no idea.
My hard pipe kit has one 90deg alloy bend 51mm and the rest of the pipes are stainless steel pipes which are very tough.
My mikalor clamps don't shape perfectly around the pipes, they are basicly to stiff, they crashed and deformed alloy elbow when I tried to do em up bit too much :)
but with stainless steel pipes they have no chance and pipes remain perfecly round and clamps simply aren't doing their job as boost leak test prooved.
Old stock clamps I kept are doing a lot better job at the moment. Very disappointed wit my mikalor clamps :(

wintertidenz
03-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you got dodgy clamps. I use the T-clamps like Reece does (as they are easy to get here) and I've only ever had one fail - the clamp bolt snapped off due to catching it on a kerb. The T-clamps I've used before are all fairly flexible.

I've also used plain plumbing ones that don't bite into the silicone - they work fairly well too.

fassi1
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Is sfsperformance the right place to get Murray clamps from like Tar said?
I just want to be sure that I'm actually buying Murray clamps not some kind of looking like Murray clamps.

Davezj
03-11-2013, 06:19 PM
to make some of my clamps work better i sprayed a very small amount of WD40 on the silicone before putting the clamp on which allows the clamp to slide over the silicone more easily.
but this only works on clamps that sit flat against the hard pipe, not on an angle like the jount at the end of the Y pipe. as the clamp can slide off, you use too much WD40.

TAR
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Is sfsperformance the right place to get Murray clamps from like Tar said?
I just want to be sure that I'm actually buying Murray clamps not some kind of looking like Murray clamps.

Yes, you can get original Murray clamps from SFS Performance in Luton. Give them a call with what you want and ask them if you can collect in person.

fassi1
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Yes, you can get original Murray clamps from SFS Performance in Luton. Give them a call with what you want and ask them if you can collect in person.

I think I'm just gonna order em online, don't think will have time to pick em up during the day :(

wintertidenz
04-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Or just use hairspray on the clamps and silicone. Easier to get on, harder to pop off until you break the seal with a small screwdriver.

fassi1
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
I always use silicone grease.

Erni902
08-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I have also been looking for some good clamps for my hard pipes as the jubilee clips that were put on there by the garage have failed on several occasions and the pipes have blown off. Not good at silly speeds lol.
TAR

I didn't realise they were based in Luton so cheers for the headsup :thumbsup: I think I shall be replacing all of my jubilees with Murrays, they certainly seem to have good reviews.

WOODY72
09-11-2013, 12:13 AM
I always use silicone grease.

Cheaper than KY.