PDA

View Full Version : New from the Bucks area

Hadescerb
12-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello fellow VR4 owners

Just bought a Legnum and would like to ask the membership for recommendations as to where to get it serviced. I procurred from the Bradford area, and noticed in the service records that Nick Mann had previously fettled the car including changing the Diff usingan EVO 8 item. However, Nick is a long way from where I live now, so if any of you know a good indie in the Bucks/Berks/Herts area, please let me know.

Looking forward to picking all your brains, as from what I have read so far you are a very knowledgeable lot.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hadescerb

John TheAntique
12-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi and welcome. Most of the basic servicing you can do yourself as all the details of the bolt by screw methodology is in the Articles Section which you can access when you become a full member. It cost £20 but you recoup that and more when you buy the recommended oils from Amsoil. For the more technical stuff I and many others use Eurospec2000 near Guildford,
they know more about our cars than most people on this planet know about sex. Any day to day problems and stick them up here on the forum and you will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful people are. These cars make you smile--0--a lot. Enjoy.

TAR
12-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.

:happy:

Nick Mann
12-11-2013, 07:00 PM
/Welcome

Is it a white face lift with Brembos?

Either way, have fun!

BubbaLeggyVR4
12-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Welcome
Im just down the road in Hampshire, had mine 2 yrs now and this site is brilliant.
Well worth the £20 membership :)
Enjoy

Bender
12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Welcome to Clubvr4

Hadescerb
13-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the advice regarding Indies to look at for serviceing etc.

Hello Nick, indeed, its the white facelift with the Brembos. You looked after the car throughout 2008 according to the service book and associated invoices. I dont want to bombard you with questions straight off, but what is the advantage of replacing the Diff with an Evo 8 unit? I did notice that the fuel consumption was better than expected when cruising back down south after picking it up, I take it this is one of the benefits.

TAR
13-11-2013, 06:33 PM
The Evo 8 diff has SAYC and is stronger

:happy:

Nick Mann
13-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to remember if I also removed the Sayc later on. At the time chris g owned the car. The last owner was also on here, horndog, so he might be able to tell you more. horndog

horndog
13-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Hello,

This one? http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?68923-VR4-Estate-2002-Sheffield&highlight=
If so the SAYC was removed when I bought the car and the original AYC refitted.

I (by chance) spoken to previous - or friends of previous owners and Its had a lot of TLC over the years (as the service history shows) and been owned by car enthusiasts

Any questions just ask.

chris g
13-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Yes assuming it is the same car, I did own it before horndog

SAYC was removed as it was bought by another owner and AYC refitted before horndog bought it

I had planned to return to VR4 ownership and bought a low mileage SAYC diff

Alas I have now moved on to Ralliart Sportback GSR ownership so SAYC diff has been for sale on here for some time but neve got round to sorting some photos to show its condition

Hadescerb
14-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks Nick & TAR. Yes, as is confirmed by the previous owners the SAYC was indeed replaced. Is the AYC unit problematic then?

Chris G and Horndog. The car is indeed in very good order, a credit to both of your ownerships, so thankyou both for that.

The car has sat around for a couple of months, so the only current minor concern I have is that the brake pedal feel for the Brembos is a little 'soft'. I understand that to bleed is quite difficult as there is an inner and outer nipple on each unit?

Chris G, what sort of price are you looking for the SAYC unit please?

Nick Mann
14-11-2013, 01:29 PM
The AYC is usually good - the SAYC is stronger, but the stock AYC shouldn't be a big issue unless you launch hard or want to tune the car plenty. The SAYC is able to transfer more torque, so gives the car a more rear bias when pressing on through the corners.

VR4s in general have soft pedals, so it might be nothing to worry about. Bleeding is not particularly difficult, just a bit more time consuming than standard, and yes, you are right, two bleed nipples per caliper. That is simply because you have pistons either side of the disc.

horndog
14-11-2013, 01:56 PM
The car has sat around for a couple of months, so the only current minor concern I have is that the brake pedal feel for the Brembos is a little 'soft'. I understand that to bleed is quite difficult as there is an inner and outer nipple on each unit?

Yes there is an inner and outer nipple on the fronts
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brakebleeding/evo8brakebleeding.html this has some decent images (they are Evo calipers)

It had new disks and pads - including new Fluid not too long ago(about 7000 miles) and the brakes were thoroughly bled, (and it never leaked)
the only issue I ever had was occasional squealing and a good bedding in of ???..mph - 10mph 3 or 4 times in succession then a gentle drive to allow them to cool would quieten them down for a couple of months.

You are probably aware but - the Cam Belt is due, (unless the dealer did it) that would be the only thing Id pencil in

Hadescerb
03-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry for the very late response Horndog, ageing parent issues!! yes, I plan to replace the Cam belt at 80,000 miles, and have a comprehensive service then. probably cost £1K, but i will feel happier knowing everything is ship shape and not have to worry. In the meantime I have been trying to track down performance stats from magaziners of the era with no luck. It looks like the car did not go through the normal Autocar mag testing process, so figures are hard to come by. Has anybody attached a performance meter to there standard tune Legnum VR4 and taken figures, or run it over the Standing Quarter at the POD. I had read that the Galant VR4 was estimated by the manufacturer to be doing 13.9, but this seems optomistic. If mine could do under 15 secs i would be happy.

Erni902
03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi mate and welcome to the club. Like everyone else has said membership is probably the best thing you will buy and certainly worth more than anything you will ever own :lol

As for figures down the quarter at Santa Pod, I took mine there a few years ago when she was completely stock other than custom cat-back exhaust. I managed a 14.7s and when posted on the forum that seemed to be about right for a stock PFL Legnum of similar age.

Took it back the following year with a manual boost controller at 0.9 bar/13psi, decat pipe and hard pipe kit and acheived 13.8s
My old man gadboy007 took his that year and acheived 13.6s with stainless downpipes, ralliart panel filter, bigger FMIC and EBC running 0.7 bar/10.5psi.

I now have all the mods gadboy007 had with the EBC replacing the manual and running either 1 bar/14.5psi or 1.1 bar/16psi depending on my mood and will be heading back to Santa Pod this year to gain hopefully slightly lower figures :) (also may possibly have a few more mods and ecu tune soon)

Whereabouts in the Bucks area are you? Im usually in the Beds, Northants area but also pass through Bucks a fair bit

Rikki

Hadescerb
03-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks Rikki, all useful information that is much appreciated. If mine can run high 14's like yours in standard trim I will be happy. I was talking to Nick and a standard remap well may yield a little more power/torque, so I will head that route initially. I live in the Beaconsfield area, and get down to the ACE cafe pretty often, either in the Cerbera or one of my bikes. Weather rubbish at the moment though, so not too many trips out. Are then many meetings for vr4's in the local, or is it the usual JAP motors meet ups?

Erni902
03-01-2014, 02:34 PM
No worries mate, hoping to have a remap once ive fitted my wideband sensor, fuel pump and fpr. I had a little increase in bhp with the mods ive currently got but had a much better increase in torque and boy can you feel this when planting it for an overtake. :)

As for meets, there isn't many mini meets that happen around the area tbh due to busy peeps etc although there are a fair few members from around the area. The best place to catch up with people are at the bigger meets such as rolling road days etc. These draw in members from all over so thats always nice and you can sometimes get a convoy together on the route there so thats always good fun too.

As for the likes of Japfest and Japshow etc I have personally never been but I do know a few members like to tip up to these and have a laugh.

Hadescerb
03-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks again Rikki, yeah, torque, rather than power looks like the way to go. keep me appraised of how your mods work out please.

Erni902
03-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Will do mate I usually post an update after anything significant so keep your eyes peeled :)

Hadescerb
24-01-2014, 03:16 PM
First set of results from a run using Race Logic VBOX, slightly uphill to 100mph (5 degrees elevation), slightly downhill after 100mph (6 Degrees). No wind to speak of, 6 Degrees Centigrade, road surface reasonable for traction. No mods except for the exhaust. Left Foot on brake, right foot rev to 1500rpm, then release and floor at the same time.

Increment Time Distance (Meters)

0-10mph 0.79 1.93
0-20 1.64 7.54
0-30 2.51 17.31
0-40 3.60 34.32
0-50 4.98 62.16
0-60 6.59 102.09
0-70 8.52 158.37
0-80 10.69 231.51
0-90 13.43 335.85
0-100 16.95 485.85
0-110 20.85 669.16
0-120 24.78 891.92

0-402 metres - 14.98 @ 95.29
0-1000 Metres - 27.13 @ 123.48

Pleased with the results for a first run, but I think I can improve the times a little by honing the 'off the line' technique.

Nick Mann
25-01-2014, 12:12 AM
There is half a second to be gained from a launch, I reckon. Easily half a second. A stock VR4 can do a 60 foot time in the low 2s. I have done a 1.84 at Santa Pod with a car running 1.2 bar. 60 feet is 18.3 metres, so your 60 foot time would be approx 2.6s
So I reckon you could get a mid 14s 1/4 mile with a good launch - pretty good for a stock car, shows good health I'd say!

Hadescerb
31-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks Nick. Once it stops bloody raining I will have another go!! I found anything over 1500rpm the brakes couldnt stop the power of the engine, so the car moved.

Nick Mann Services
31-01-2014, 05:09 PM
That is because you are losing the vacuum assistance as the boost starts building. You can hold it longer if you mash your left foot on to the pedal. IIRC in the past people have also been pulling on the handbrake (holding the button in) for a bit extra. I never got to that point - I figured I was being horrible enough to the box just launching!

/edit - ooops, sorry, logged in as my alternate psyche!