PDA

View Full Version : My options?

Colin Wiltshire
14-11-2013, 06:29 PM
At the Area 52 rr/tune meet, I was diagnosed with piston slap, well, the car, not actually me.

So thinking of options I have, bearing in mind lack of any money at mo.

1, just keep going, if/when it blows up.
2, buy a cheap 2nd hand engine, strip/rebuild. (I have never done this, so should be fun)
3, get the engine bored and polished, fitting over sized pistons.

Any other ideas/options would be great.

Ideally I would like to build a forged engine, but funds just won't allow this.

Plus just a thought, it's the rods that stop you running lots of boost in this engine?

adaxo
14-11-2013, 06:50 PM
1, just keep going, if/when it blows up.- this is what I would do, in mean time try to find decent engine and swap over when ready
2, buy a cheap 2nd hand engine, strip/rebuild. (I have never done this, so should be fun)- if you dint DIY b4 I doubt it will be good, let someone do it? it will cost fair bit as this engine is not very common so it will be close to imposible to find someone who know how to do it properly.
3, get the engine bored and polished, fitting over sized pistons.- very expensive option IMO not worth even try

Plus just a thought, it's the rods that stop you running lots of boost in this engine? don't think so, it should be good for ~450hp??, but is all depends of actual state of engine/rods/pistons

swinks
14-11-2013, 07:42 PM
At the Area 52 rr/tune meet, I was diagnosed with piston slap, well, the car, not actually me.

So thinking of options I have, bearing in mind lack of any money at mo.

1, just keep going, if/when it blows up.
2, buy a cheap 2nd hand engine, strip/rebuild. (I have never done this, so should be fun)
3, get the engine bored and polished, fitting over sized pistons.

Any other ideas/options would be great.

Ideally I would like to build a forged engine, but funds just won't allow this.

Plus just a thought, it's the rods that stop you running lots of boost in this engine?
1. First, do a compression test. Just to make sure and diagnose properly heads.
If bad, then I woudn't run engine long. Simply you will never know how it's gonna end his life. Any debris getting to turbo is not a thing you want to happen.
2. Depends what you mean cheap engine. You need a healthy engine. Cheap one may be still piece of wreck (i.e. piston vs. cylinders, etc.). Yes, basic rebuild is a must go. Taking heads off and do a proper build up. That's opportunity to have aggressive cams fitted ;)
Also I know 1 healthy engine being soon for sale :).
3. Not worth, involving massive funds.

Yes, for increased boost (over 1.6 bar) you will rather need forged conrods, but also forged pistons.

As for your TD04's. I always been saying that if they are 9B tubbys then it's not much gain to acheive. They are very, very mild turbos. Have seen in diesel engines. To get their full potential you need to swap compressor side for -13T wheel. Have seen kits for upgrade on eBay.
Also I will look closely at exhaust manifolds you have. If back pressure is building in them, then no power gain, rather power loss in exchange for rised egt.

Well, lots of things to look at Colin. And all depends how deep pockets...
Start with proper health check of you engine. Do compression test, and try to figure out what's the cause of problem.

Colin Wiltshire
14-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks Adam, I think No1 is prob the best option for me anyway

Colin Wiltshire
14-11-2013, 08:03 PM
1. First, do a compression test. Just to make sure and diagnose properly heads.
If bad, then I woudn't run engine long. Simply you will never know how it's gonna end his life. Any deris getting to turbo is not a thing you want to happen.
2. Depends what you mean cheap engine. You need a healthy engine. Cheap one may be still piece of wreck (i.e. piston vs. cylinders, etc.). Yes, basic rebuild is a must go. Taking heads off and do a proper build up. That's opportunity to have aggressive cams fitted ;)
Also I know 1 healthy engine being soon for sale :).
3. Not worth, involving massive funds.

Yes, for increased boost (over 1.6 bar) you will rather need forged conrods, but also forged pistons.

As for your TD04's. I always been saying that if they are 9B tubbys then it's not much gain to acheive. They are very, very mild turbos. Have seen in diesel engines. To get their full potential you need to swap compressor side for -13T wheel. Have seen kits for upgrade on eBay.
Also I will look closely at exhaust manifolds you have. If back pressure is building in them, then no power gain, rather power loss in exchange for rised egt.

Well, lots of things to look at Colin. And all depends how deep pockets...
Start with proper health check of you engine. Do compression test, and try to figure out what's the cause of problem.

turbos are TD04-13g's from UK 3000GT, I assume you mean your old engine? Think I might be interested in that. I guess I'd have to take my car to a garage for the compression test?

swinks
14-11-2013, 08:21 PM
turbos are TD04-13g's from UK 3000GT, I assume you mean your old engine? Think I might be interested in that. I guess I'd have to take my car to a garage for the compression test?
Oh... I'm very surprised then. After seen Chris results on them, and lately yours I was pretty conviced that they are -9B. If they are -13G, the still getting -13T is better option (better spool and low end). But at this moment I wonder why figures are soo damn low. As said, maybe look closely at manifolds... well don't know...

As for engine. Yes, I meant mine, but no pressure... ;)
Before I finally flog one I'll double check compression and will run other checks. And seems that it's not gonna happen very soon, maybe later December. Took vr4 for spin today and loved it! Chassis stripped to bare metal, no indicators :rolleyes3, but hey-ho it's running soo quick :)

adaxo
14-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Took vr4 for spin today and loved it! Chassis stripped to bare metal, no indicators :rolleyes3, but hey-ho it's running soo quick :)

/Hijack
Somehow Im not surprise, especially after getting used to evo :D