PDA

View Full Version : Using 7202 VR4 ecu to reflash into V6 N/A?

MarkSanne
15-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I have a spare 7202 ECU here and I just thought of the idea if it would be possible to reflash it with a V6 N/A ROM. Would be nice as changing those settings would then be possible 'easily'.

Ideas / experience anyone?

foxdie
15-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Heya Mark,

The 6A13 and 6A13TT EFI ECUs are notably different, I investigated the differences (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59694-Hacking-a-N-A-V6-7202-to-work-in-a-VR-4) a couple of years ago and the most significant difference between the two was the ignition outputs. The N/A has one coil output as its done via a distributor, the TT has 3 for wasted spark (1 coil ignites 2 plugs).

Software wise, they'll both run either ROM, except a TT ROM on a N/A ECU won't start the car (as its only able to successfully fire 2 of 6 cylinders). I never tried the other way, technically it MAY work, however I'd closely compare pinouts of both ECUs to make sure pin X on one ECU offers a different service to pin X on the other ECU.

Failing that. I have a couple of N/A V6 ECUs that were a gift from VR457 - you're welcome to one of these for free (I'll post it out with your other 7202 ECU when I can finally find time to build a test harness :()

MarkSanne
15-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Interesting! Would be great to play with the software on these V6 N/A puppies a bit as I feel they're heavily undertuned. I have a V6 N/A spare one somewhere (although that one came from a V6 N/A automatic, not manual like I have), never thought to open it up to see what kind of chip is in. If it's the 7202 it should be able to be reflashed just like VR4 ECU's with 7202/3 chipsets, right?

foxdie
15-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Exactly! They work with EcuFlash, if you check the members only section of the forums I recently put up some defs for N/A V6 ECUs.

I just had a brainstorm, it may be possible to give a N/A V6 Anti-Lag / Launch control! Flash Kenneths ROM to a VR-4 7202, tie all 3 ignition outputs together with a diode for each ECU pin output to protect them from each other, et voila!

POPOPOPOOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPPO SCREEEEEEE(wheelspin).... then.... a whopping 160 HP :upsidedow

:unbeleeva

I have another theory. VR2 without the turbos. 200 HP N/A V6 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?69813-Mitsubishi-V6-engines-vs-power). I think too much.

MarkSanne
15-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Hahahaha, that would be something! All show and hardly go :)

foxdie
15-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Hahahaha, that would be something! All show and hardly go :)

Much like a Honda /Devil5

GalantOnly
15-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Quite off topic... But... Is it possible to reflash 4G63 SOHC 2.0 Galant engine with Openport or MMCFlash?

foxdie
15-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Quite off topic... But... Is it possible to reflash 4G63 SOHC 2.0 Galant engine with Openport or MMCFlash?

Not to my knowledge I'm afraid. Hoping I'm wrong.

pbaron
15-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I have reflashed the 7202 ecu in a 2.0 4G63 Galant, the fuel and timing maps did not line up with the vr4 definition but the immobiliser bits did. I needed to disable to the factory immobiliser to avoid having to purchase another transponder key blank when I wanted to get use a spare key that had no transponder. I used ECUFlash with my openport 2.0 to read the rom and tried writing it back as a 7203 which I thought it was when it was actually a 7202. This managed to brick the ecu and after that ECUFlash would neither read or write to it. MMCFlash was able to write to it and recover its operation and I was good to go.