PDA

View Full Version : Filled with confidence

Colin Wiltshire
19-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Just booked my car in for a compression test, re news from rr day.

They asked what car was it? I replied with ( well you all know what I replied with)

They then asked was it a diesel? :o

I chose this garage after seeing pics and reading about them on FB, last one was an rs4, think I remember seeing a gtr there as well.

So first impressions not so good, also answers the phone with their phone number, not the company name. I'm not the best when calling on the phone, so that threw me for a bit.

We'll see on sat what they're like.

exevoowner
19-11-2013, 07:34 PM
why the compression test ? you had piston slap you need sump off and checking bearings

Colin Wiltshire
19-11-2013, 07:49 PM
why the compression test ? you had piston slap you need sump off and checking bearings

It's what several people have told me to do.

TAR
19-11-2013, 09:26 PM

Don't think so?

Piston Slap is where the pistons are able to move in a perpendicular manner in the bore. It could cause a loss of compression if the bores are very worn.

Colin, piston slap is most pronounced when the engine is cold and tends to disappear when warm, were you getting this noise when warm?

:happy:

Colin Wiltshire
19-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Colin, piston slap is most pronounced when the engine is cold and tends to disappear when warm, were you getting this noise when warm?

The car was warm, The bloke at area 52 while on the dyno, said to Jason, who was also in the car that's what he heard.

exevoowner
19-11-2013, 09:51 PM
from rolling road day in nottingham when his car was on the dyno they heard it and was said to be goodgion pin if thats how its spellet

Davezj
19-11-2013, 10:32 PM
yes the pin at the base of the piston and top of the con rod. but it could be the crank bearing end. the guy at area 52 (jason) did seem to think it was piston to con rod pin.
why he made that conclusion i don't know, experiance i guess.

i would not know what that sounded like even if i heard it first hand.

adaxo
20-11-2013, 12:28 AM
So compression test is pretty useles then?

Trotty
20-11-2013, 10:02 AM
If its a bearing pull the ignition leads 1 at a time, it will run like a pig but the noise will disappear as u take the load off the cylinder. For v6 as it has a waste spark pull the rear bank of leads first. Then unplug the coils 1 at a time, this will kill 2 cylinders but will check the front bank.

Edit turn car off each time if u don't u will get a nice whack from the coils. It's quite invigorating. Lol u won't wanna do it the second time.

Adam.Findlay
20-11-2013, 10:22 AM
if its a suspected run bearing, running the engine is the last thing you want to do as that could worsen any damage that is already possibly there.

Drain the oil, check for metal flakes as that's a good indicator if a bearing has let go.

piston slap seems highly unlikely to me. unless it has cracked a piston due to detonation and the piston is rattling in the bore

Tam
20-11-2013, 11:09 AM
i'd go with Adam on this when i thought my bottom end had gone Ben at eurospec said that these cranks cant be reground and oversized bearings used. You just have to get a new crank.He said if you have flakes in your oil its safe to say your bottom end is fecked, mine had a lot of bronze coloured flakes. I have not had time to rip my one apart yet to see i just replaced my engine for now.

Cheers
Marc

Adam.Findlay
20-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah sometimes if you catch it early you can get away with just giving the crank a polish and using std bearings.
but if the crank and or main tunnel is scored or scratched from the damaged bearing you will need to get the block line honed, and the crank ground or replaced. and then get undersize bearings.

but just taking the metal sump pan off, and inspecting it for metal flake is easy. and you can also take the windage tray off and see the first few conrods. and its not too much more work to take the whole sump off to inspect the lot.

Colin Wiltshire
20-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Ok, sounds like the compression test is pretty much pointless then. Also I won't have time to remove sump, as in process of moving house, and don't get home until getting dark and bloody cold on top.

Also looking at another engine as a possibility,

TAR
21-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Colin, you are obviously still using your car so how bad is the noise? Can you hear it all the time? Did you know you had a problem before you went on the rollers?

I would suggest getting a second opinion maybe from Eurospec as it appears that you haven't had much of a diagnosis. I'm not saying that Area 52 don't know there stuff but it doesn't sound like piston slap and others are speculating about worn or spun bearings which would be a major issue.

Hope you get it sorted without having to spend loads of money.

Good luck with your house move as well.

Colin Wiltshire
22-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I had no idea before Area 52, maybe because I'm listening more on start up, I'm sure I can hear something for a few seconds, doesn't sound quite as smooth as it should, but once warming up. I can't say I do notice anything.
However, I have noticed, only on occasion, it feels like it's hesitating for a few seconds on cruise, but then back to normal. But again, that could just be me expecting something to happen.

Colin Wiltshire
23-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, took my car to the garage today, didn't get the compression test done. I explained why I was there, said he'll take a look.

phoned an hr later, saying he can hear the problem, says it's on the front bank and the compression test wouldn't show anything to do with that.

so looks like a 3rd engine in I think 4yrs I've owned the car.

exevoowner
23-11-2013, 10:21 PM
If you replace yours would it be worth starting afresh ? Get a replace engine and have it checked first as i know you want to dial in more power

exevoowner
23-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Any news colin

Colin Wiltshire
23-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Getting swinks's old engine with the 262 profile cams in. hope to be getting it done in jan at Nick Mann's

Davezj
23-12-2013, 06:03 PM
what a good buy, that will be great to go along with you turbo setup, the full package.