PDA

View Full Version : legnum power, Triptronic Vs Manual

Gly
07-02-2005, 11:21 AM
ok i got a 98 legnum 25ST triptronic,

i know the vr4 autos are detuned compared to the vr4 manual,

doz this apply to the non turbos aswell?

if so would it just be a matter of finding the comp from a manual one and pluging it into my auto to get the power back??

Legnum Boy
07-02-2005, 07:03 PM
The pre-facelift (96-97) auto VR4's were down 20 PS on the manual counterpart. Still not entirely sure where this was robbed from though.
Some think it was the ECU, others debate the boost level.

Don't think plugging a manual ECU into an Auto is a good idea, without first modding the way it controls things. Not heard of the non-turbos having differing power levels anyway..... although, torque converters will naturally rob the power getting to the wheels more so than a manual clutch.

SGHOM
07-02-2005, 10:15 PM
we need to see more manual VR4's running at santa pod !!

so far, the auto's are proving to be the fastest. we do lose some power through the auto box, but getting the power down is not a problem.

anyone with a manual fancy trying to better a 12.7 sec run ??

Kenneth
07-02-2005, 10:44 PM
we need to see more manual VR4's running at santa pod !!

so far, the auto's are proving to be the fastest. we do lose some power through the auto box, but getting the power down is not a problem.

anyone with a manual fancy trying to better a 12.7 sec run ??

I dont think autos are less powerful... less efficient maybe, less powerful most likely not.

The torque converter in an auto has a torque multiplication factor... maybe 1.75:1 for stock, but from what I have read, this can be increased with a better torque converter.
This means that the auto can theoretically lay down more torque (depends on a variety of factors, speed differential between impeller and turbine speeds etc) and have a more effective launch.

A manual has the advantage of being able to slip the clutch, and have the RPM at a better range for acceleration. Also, if you have little regard for you clutch and drivetrain, you can actually lanch in 2nd gear. If you do it right, you get a damn good launch. Havent really heard of it being done in a VR-4, but thats what the evos are doing. ( the really fast ones anyway)

If its drag racing you are into, then a high stall converter will increase the RPM at wich you start putting that power down hard. this will out-perform a manual at the drag strip any day of the week.
You can actually get variable stall converters nowdays, which allow you to adjust the stall point, which would be ideal for being able to drag as well as drive every day.

dickytim
08-02-2005, 07:09 AM
the early autos, 97-mid98 before the facelift have 190kw compared to 205-8 of the manual

venomboy
08-02-2005, 09:42 AM
When I was street racing yank tanks back in the 70s, The standard mod was to invest in a shift kit from the states which would sharpen up the shift pattern, and add some heavier weight fluid to speed torque take up. Those old hydroglides were pretty basic though, the new boxes are much more sophisticatedm( though also a bit fragile, it was impossible to blow up those old yank auto boxes, people preffered 'em to clutch shifters for that reason)
VB

_simon_
08-02-2005, 11:29 AM
The pre-facelift VR-4 had less power as Mitsubishi weren't sure that the auto box could handle all the power the manuals put out. When the face lift model came out they decided that it could so increased the power to be the same as the manual.
As the ST has less power than the VR-4 I don't think they would have considered it necessary to reduce the power of the tip-tronic vs the manual.