PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure you want to go to the 'Ring

Simon
07-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh my god, piccy taken this week.................snow plough anyone!

Jimbo
07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Haha excellent!

I heard that during the winter the track is open for walking, etc, and you often get people sledging and snowboarding on it !

I've also actually seen a video of a crazy German driving a 911 Turbo round a snowed over Ring too..... now that is NUTS!

HJM
07-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Who cares - it's the Ring and I'm going !!!!!!!!!!!!

KiwiTT
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3180366a30,00.html

What times are you guys expecting in a VR-4.

If you do under 10 minutes, that is good, under 9 that is very good and under 8 you are f**k'n brilliant

Kenneth
07-02-2005, 09:45 PM
If you do under 10 minutes, that is good, under 9 that is very good and under 8 you are f**k'n brilliant

Eithier that or just plain nuts... :D

Jimbo
07-02-2005, 11:23 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3180366a30,00.html

What times are you guys expecting in a VR-4.

Wow, not sure I'd beat the Radical - I have the 7m19s lap of the SR3 Turbo on my hard-drive, it's truly incredible!

See here: Ring2b.mpeg (http://www.nurburgring-videos.com/data//508/1ring2b.mpeg)

Not given a great deal of thought to lap times....if I'm being devilishly honest then I'd have to say I'd be disappointed if a VR4 couldn't get down below 9m (in the hands of a someone other than me :$ ). I don't personally expect to do much measuring on my first visit, I don't trust myself not to get carried away!

Spirit
07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Jimbo that's an awesome video mate -thanks for posting it !

KiwiTT
08-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Just watched the vid .... awesome ... You guy's who are going to have a ball. Best to check your brakes and tyres are up to spec, if not new pads and tyres.

Spirit
08-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Just watched the vid .... awesome ... You guy's who are going to have a ball. Best to check your brakes and tyres are up to spec, if not new pads and tyres.

.....as well as plenty of toilet roll for those scarey moments !

Jimbo
08-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Best to check your brakes and tyres are up to spec, if not new pads and tyres.

Check! New pads ready to fit pending arrival of new discs :)

.....as well as plenty of toilet roll for those scarey moments !

CHECK! :laugh: (<--- LOL smiley!)

Physician
09-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Here you are 'Ringers' .......... this looks like a similar power unit to the VR4. So you have a target! Hahahahaha! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

In all seriousness however, - DO be very careful as this track is reknowned for being very unforgiving of even the simplest mistake. (As I'm sure y'all know)

Quote:

BMW GB has announced the introduction of the BMW 130i powered by the world’s lightest six-cylinder petrol engine. The new car boasts 258bhp!

Performance is brisk, with the 130 reaching 62mph in 6.2 seconds and on to a top speed of 155mph. BMW boast that the performance beats rivals such as the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, Audi A3 3.2 V6 Sport Quattro Sportback and the Mercedes C320 SE Sports Coupé.

So pleased are they with the performance and balance of the car that they even quote its performance at the 'ring. It lapped the northern loop of the Nürburgring in an impressive 8 minutes 35 seconds.

jeff
14-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I hate to be a spoilsport, but if anyone who is going to the ring that has never been before, don't even think about getting a stopwatch out. Believe me, you will be totally overwhelmed when you go, that to be honest, you won't want to. Just be very very careful, over 140 bends, yes you can probably remember in about 50 odd laps, but all the huge camber variants. massive gradient changes (you'll find out!!) 1 foot of run off and about 250 foot drops with all the locals, bikes and 911 turbo/RS/RSR nutcases out there, you have to leave all thoughts of timing/going quickly/overtaking firmly in the car park.
Been going for 14 consecutive years, must have been round well over 3-350 laps in everything from The Ring' Taxi to a BMW 316 compact, have even been round when the straight is in use in the good old days (185mph 911 turbo under the bridge with no lift, brown trousers anyone?) and still it scares the sh*t out of me.

Remember kids, it is NOT a place to be stupid. but it is wonderful. :smitten:

I can't go at easter, :thumbsdow but will be out again in August for The Old Timer Grand Prix, so if you need another fix after easter, feel free to give me a shout

shhhhhhhhhh............(chris g will only have a go...........!!!!!!)
(9m 10s is the my son put in, in the VR4, but he has been racing for 18 yrs, (over 150 laps at the ring) and had loads of traffic, he reckons 8m 45s :rolleyes4 should be attainable with a clear one, just to clear up any arguements!!!!)