PDA

View Full Version : Seized Calipers!

mike
07-02-2005, 08:26 PM
OK, some advice for anyone out there who has a soft pedal feel...

Check your calipers - basicaly I want to re-iterate a point raised by Wirdy in another post...

My pads have worn in just under a year, so today I replaced the front pads only to find the top sliding pins on both sides had seized!! The result was the inner pads had worn down to the metal, but the outer still had half the material left.

After much cursing and hammering, the usual can of WD and de-greasant, and a couple of hours! All fixed with a good helping of copper slip.

And the result?! A really good solid pedal! Nice!! and although the pads still have to bed in, the stopping power is much better!

So if you have any doubt in the performance of your brakes, or a spongy pedal try this first.

As a side point - did anyone know that when your accelerating the car will not allow you to brake (with your left foot)? Maybe its part of the new solenoid control system fitting in the recall.

So I can't bed my pads in my usual way?! Good for the track I guess - right foot to floor, left foot hard on brake pedal in advance of corner - lift right foot, and left foot drops and the brakes bite! May try that at Japfest if I go...

Cheers!
Mike.

Kenneth
07-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Is your VR-4 auto or manual?

Eithier way, that not being able to use the brake is interesting, I'll definatly give it a go later today

enigma
09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
As a side point - did anyone know that when your accelerating the car will not allow you to brake (with your left foot)? Maybe its part of the new solenoid control system fitting in the recall.

This is not quite true, under acceleration you are under boost, therfore there is no vacuum, in fact there is a -ve vacuum which makes the brakes have anti power assistance! Just press really hard!!!

wirdy
09-02-2005, 01:49 PM
in fact there is a -ve vacuum which makes the brakes have anti power assistance!

....like anti-matter???

Wow, so if I brake while accelerating, I'll go faster.....cooool!!

/only joking :2thumbsup

mike
09-02-2005, 01:51 PM
OK, that makes sense!

And yeah, its not that it doesn't brake, its just very poor with no pedal travel.

Mike.

Andyman
13-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I was on the way down from Wales to portsmouth,to pick up some of my kids,just as i got over the bridge,th front of the car started to shudder.I was only going 70,slowed down,it went away .Stopped ,no wheel falling off,no drive shaft loose,just a smeel of burning pads,from 1 side.So carryed on to pompey,slowly,it happen a few times more at different speeds.
Do u think it might be calipers??p.s. on the way home ,no probs at all?

wirdy
13-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a siezed caliper to me. First sign is often overheating and it'll only get worse as the heat cycles cook whatever grease remains on the caliper sliding bolts. You might be able to save the pads too.

I'd get under the car and free off the caliper bolts- don't leave it too long or the caliper bolts can sieze completely (they then shear off as you try to remove them - at worst this means a new caliper, or if you're like me, about three hours carefully drilling out the broken bit with a pillar drill).

Andyman
13-02-2005, 05:27 PM
ok then thanks ,will take them both off tomorrow ,and sort them out.Is there a recall on front brakes?
as ive just got the car,a few months ago.
Even better ,upgrade them now while theres a prob. What do u think?