PDA

View Full Version : "The Garage" in Wishaw

Axeboy
07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Ok..

I know the owner from other dealings and asked if he could check the new vr4 over and change the fluids etc.

This is what was done for my £190:

Advanced Motor Flush
Oil Filter
Sump Plug Seal
Engine Oil Replaced
Auto Transmission Fluid Changed
AYC Fluid Changed
Screenwash
Service and Inspection
Front Courtesy Light Repaired
Drivers Door Mirror Motor Repaired
Front "sh** Guard" Lifted clear
Traction Control Switch Repaired

They also found that the track rod ends need replaced... and have quoted £120 supplied and fitted. The car is due to go back in for the Gauges to be wired up and the ride heightened (adjustable).. plus a few other ICE related things...

Overall, they checked it all over and talked me through it all. Good service and a great garage with a nice relaxing waiting room (Makes a change).

Any comments on this?

Jimbo
07-02-2005, 11:37 PM
£190 for that lot is pretty good, but then I'm so used to forking out stoopid money, I fear my brain is warped when it comes to these things.

At the end of the day, if they give you good piece of mind and seem to know what they're on about then it's worth a lot of your hard-earned.

If track-rod ends means the same thing as lower-balljoints....(insert dumb-a$$ smiley here)....then these should be covered by recall if they haven't already been done. (If not then, don't worry, don't run away, I promise you there's far more knowledgeable people than me here !!!)

Axeboy
07-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I think i was most impressed with the repairing of the little faults.. they done them very easily.

wirdy
07-02-2005, 11:48 PM
No Jimbo, they're two different things. Track rod ends are a bit cheaper :-)

/Still gets me how I can get two new track rod ends for the Robin Hood for a fiver? They must cost a similar amount to manufacture.

Jimbo
08-02-2005, 12:21 AM
No Jimbo, they're two different things. Track rod ends are a bit cheaper :-)

LOL!!! Well my motto is: you only learn things by either breaking them or by embaressing yourself! :$

By the way, what is that word "cheaper"....what does it mean?

Kenneth
08-02-2005, 12:49 AM
LOL!!! Well my motto is: you only learn things by either breaking them or by embaressing yourself! :$

By the way, what is that word "cheaper"....what does it mean?

Cheaper: Anything non VR-4 (also see inferior )
Inferior: Anything non VR-4

Exceptions: Galant/Legnum non VR-4 owners. (Baby VR-4s)

Jimbo
08-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Ah yes, Cheeeeepeer! Yes, I think I understand!

"Anything that doesn't involve amputation of limbs".

Yes, yes, I see now!

Kieran
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Ah yes, Cheeeeepeer! Yes, I think I understand!

"Anything that doesn't involve amputation of limbs".

Yes, yes, I see now!

It is rather worrying when Mitsubishi Invent their own currency system of "MegaPounds" when you go to pay for a service... Still, the most expensive bill I've ever had from Mitsubishi was only 0.9 MegaPounds using this system, so I feel much better about it?!?!

/EDIT: And yes, £190 for all that lot is very good indeed.

Axeboy
08-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Well..

When i get the belt quote, ill let you guys know what it is.

Its going in next week for:

Boost Gauge/Timer to be wired up
Tein Ride Height increased a touch (i was impressed the Tein was adjustable)
Radio Expander fitted

So, ill keep you posted how it goes.

shooter
08-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Well..

When i get the belt quote, ill let you guys know what it is.

Its going in next week for:

Boost Gauge/Timer to be wired up
Tein Ride Height increased a touch (i was impressed the Tein was adjustable)
Radio Expander fitted

So, ill keep you posted how it goes.

Here was me thinking I was the only VR-4 doing damage in lanarkshire :D

I concur with the guys at the garage!! did me ok on a quote for nos on my ford probe 24V. that was before they moved to Pickerings corner. See I am from wishy really!

as ive sold the probe yesterday lets get back to the VR-4.

I must admit the stock suspension is pants - unlike yours!. makes me sea sick going round all the roundabouts in livingston. mind you I do get three bars of AYC regularly and loads of traction control so I must be doing something right :-b

are you going to the rolling road day the Jap club boys are organising?

Maybe see you on sheilds road?

shooter

PS please ignore this post as im in somerset (Bridgwater) on a training course pissed as a fart and surfing my favorites on a laptop. pretty obviously all the burds dont come out on a Tuesday round here:rolleyes5 :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

Axeboy
08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I wouldnt mind going to the rolling road, but dont know much about it.

I heard someone else mention it recently too...

The Tein suspension on my car is great, but its sitting just a tad too low.. very little body roll.. if any, but its hitting the ground on some B roads.

shooter
08-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I wouldnt mind going to the rolling road, but dont know much about it.

I heard someone else mention it recently too...

www.japclub.co.uk

shooter

Axeboy
17-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Just ahd the following quote for the belt change:

£47 Belt
£120 Lab

£197 inc Vat all in

£37 extra for the tensioner pulley at the same time.

So £200 for a belt change?

Sounds good... is it?

Kenneth
17-02-2005, 08:49 PM
The Tein suspension on my car is great, but its sitting just a tad too low.. very little body roll.. if any, but its hitting the ground on some B roads.

Is your suspension height adjustable? I a similar situation with my Legnum, raising the ride height improved the handling and meant that I didnt bottom out on the road.

This is how it worked in mine: increasing height increased pre-load on springs. this increased my ground clearance and also reduced sag. result is that ride is firmer, more comfortable, handling is better and i dont scrape on as much!

downside? doesnt look quite as cool.

Axeboy
17-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I havnt driven it enough to notice much difference yet.

It is height adjustable... it has 2 "C" spanners specially for the adjustment.

Ive been told its a good improvement over stock.

Kenneth
17-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I know my suspension is much better than stock.

My setup is adjustable with C spanners also.
My advice would be to play with the height until you get it how you want.

the quick way is use the age old divide and conquor method... take it up to 1/2 way on the thread, see how you like it. it will probably be too high, so take it down to 1/4 and carry on untill you get it how you want.

once you have a good height, measure the heights to make sure your car is flat. I try to have a bit of rake, so the back is a bit higher than the front (not much higer mind, just a bit... ) as it is supposed to improve the ground effect.

EDIT: You might have to compromise a bit between look and performance... up to you which you place higher value on. Personally, I went for performance.

Axeboy
17-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Cheers M8

I'll have to drive it for a bit to get the feel of it more.

nick-f1
18-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Just ahd the following quote for the belt change:

£47 Belt
£120 Lab

£197 inc Vat all in

£37 extra for the tensioner pulley at the same time.

So £200 for a belt change?

Sounds good... is it?

Yep Axeboy thats pretty good...... my local garage SVS quoted me £166 for belt and fitting, but I had to fork out another £110 on top for top idler pulley and tensioner pulley as they were badly worn still cheap at that tho`. The good news was that the water pump ( cambelt driven) was ok. Ask them to check yours is not on its way out whilst they're doing the cambelt

Good luck

Nick

Axeboy
18-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the advice mate..

I'll ask them to check in a few weeks.

strangebat
01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
I changed the tensioner and water pump at the same time as the belts, for the sake of an extra 40 quid for the pump and a couple of extra hours labour, it gave peace of mind, in changing the belts they would be half way to changing the pump anyway, but changing on it's own would involve a lot of work (and labour costs!!) - just a thought

Axeboy
02-03-2005, 07:49 PM
I probably will just do that...

Thanks for the advice