PDA

View Full Version : Front outer CV boot replacement

Dougie
16-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi does anyone know of a how to guide to change the front outer CV boot on a Legnum?

Nick Mann
16-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't think we have one. And it's not a job I remember doing. But you can easily separate the shaft at the inner CV boot/joint, which should allow you to slip the boot on over the shaft, maybe without needing to remove the shaft from the hub.

SEAN-NZ
16-12-2013, 06:45 PM
when i did mine, the cv wouldnt separate, had to remove entire shaft, remove old boot, then find a way of stretching new boot over, hot water works well, i made a cone out of an old ice cream container with a bit of grease for lube to make it easier, i did it that way because i didnt want to remove the inner cv boot because i didnt have anything to secure it back on

Tam
17-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi when i did mine i was able to split the cv, i think it was only a circlip holding it on. I bought the cheaper one from camskill and it even came with enough grease in a packet. Hardest part was doing the circlip as you need to close the clamp and we used some pliers that looked like they could remove teeth. Not to bad of a job to be honest. On mine the driveshaft was out of the car.

My wifes brother has a special tool for stretching the boot over a cv boot it looks like one of those head massage cages.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Davezj
17-12-2013, 12:58 AM
inner joint is an 3 roller bearing in an sliding cup joint. just remove the cover and pull the 3 roller spider out of the inner cup then you can get a circlip off and the 3 roller spider will pull off the inner end of the drive shaft, and this means no streching of the outer boot when you fit it.just slide it up the drive shaft.

well that is how i would fit the new outer CV boot.

or you can buy the super strechy outer boot and use the suplied cone to roll it up and over the outer CV joint.

SEAN-NZ
17-12-2013, 04:02 AM
the inner cv comes apart, never saw a way to get the outer apart

Subaru ETA
17-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Release the clips on the boot. Smack the **** out of the joint with a cooper hammer and it will come off.

I then put a cable tie on the cir clip to crush it in enough to tap the joint back on over it.

Or you can do it the way Dave suggested and pull it apart from the inner joint.

I wouldn't use one of those stretchy boots as they don't last as on

Dougie
17-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Amazing cheers for the replies definitely some useful info there. The Camskill boot kit turned up today so gonna try get it on over the Xmas break. Keep the replies coming if anyone has any other genius ways of doing it. Cheers, Dunk

MarkSanne
17-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I´ve unsuccesfully tried to knock the outer CV´s loose several times and gave up. I gave it all, had a BIG hammer, I´m over 2 meter and over 100 kilo and consider myself strong, but the damned things seem to get stuck on the little circlip. Only once it worked, but I would not do it like that again. Getting the inner CV loose is piece of cake and will get the job done for the outer boot speedy and without sweat, cursing or frustration.