PDA

View Full Version : rear shock

fassi1
23-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Can somebody tell me how to separate rear shock from the hub?
Undone bottom bolt but thing doesn't want to come off.

Davezj
23-12-2013, 06:07 PM
give a tap with a hammer, but put some wood between the shock and the hammer, or prise it off with crow bar right at the bottom of the shock where the bolt goes in.

it should slide off, the is a bigger and smaller opening in the busshing in the bottom of the shock, so it fits on like a cone, not much of a cone but a cone never the less.

or soak the joint in penatrating oil over right and see if that releases it, after the initial release it should just slide off. you could try releasing some tention off the spring with a spring compressor, just a little bit to make it easier.

i have never had to do any more than tap it with my hand to get mine off once the bolt is out. i normally have the top nuts off the shock at this point so when it does come off it just drops straight out in my hand

fassi1
23-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Behind bottom bolt on the inside of the car there is someting what looks like metal cone, does this come off and then shock slides off?

Davezj
23-12-2013, 06:17 PM
that is part of the bottom bushing of the shock, if i am understanding you correctly.

i will see if i have a pucture.

sorry not got a picture.

the inside of the metal part of the shock bushing flars out on the inside and that comes off with the shock.

i can dig my camera out tomorrow and take a picture of the one i have in the shed if that is amy help.

Have a look at the first couple of sets of pictures in this thread you should see what comes off with the rear shock.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?63304-Nicks-Project-Hamilton&highlight=rear+shock

fassi1
23-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I only read somwhere that it's easy but this thing is not comming off, no chance.

adaxo
23-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Spray a lot wd40 or may you can try something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Piece-Bearing-Wheel-Hub-Gear-Puller-Remover-Tool-Set-75mm-100mm-150mm-/221324756644

Nick Mann
23-12-2013, 08:50 PM
The rear shock (& spring) is only held in with three nuts/bolts. Two nuts at the top and one bolt at the bottom. You should be able to push the bottom of the shock inwards after the bolt is released. It shouldn't be a big issue to give it a whack at the bottom, but make sure you whack the ring at the bottom and not the cylinder of the shock itself.

fassi1
23-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks fir the tips. Tried that Nick, kept whacking the ring (cone) but it didn't move at all.
Had to give up.

wintertidenz
24-12-2013, 12:28 AM
You could always undo the bottom bolt on the hub itself to bring the shock lower - on mine it was undo the top and bottom, make sure that the hub is sitting as low as possible, then give it a good yank (or a whack from the back with a rubber mallet).

Davezj
24-12-2013, 01:15 AM
just thought i would ask chris, you do have both rear wheels up in the air and not just one side?
the rear antroll bar will hold the shock tight if only one rear wheel is up in the air.
i know it is and obvious one but worth asking just in case, i know i have tried to remove a shock with only one rear wheel in the air and it is almost impossible, due to the upward pressure of the anti roll bar.

kiteman
24-12-2013, 11:17 AM
just thought i would ask chris, you do have both rear wheels up in the air and not just one side?
the rear antroll bar will hold the shock tight if only one rear wheel is up in the air.
i know it is and obvious one but worth asking just in case, i know i have tried to remove a shock with only one rear wheel in the air and it is almost impossible, due to the upward pressure of the anti roll bar.

Daves advice is bang on.
Another thought comes to mind, have you removed or at least loosened to the top 3 nuts. If not they will prevent the shock seperating at the bottom bolt.

Davezj
24-12-2013, 11:39 AM
yes that is a good point from tommie, this must be why i always remove the top nuts first before removing the bottom bolt. i knew there was a reason why i did it this way round.
you have to remove the top nuts to allow the rear shock to move inwards to slide off the mount.

Nick Mann
24-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Agreed, Tommie, but there are only two nuts at the top of the rear strut. ;)

WOODY72
24-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Plus the one on the end of the spanner! :lipsrseal /lol/lol

kiteman
24-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Ok so I hit the wrong key, just checking who's awake maybe???

fassi1
24-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Had the car on the ramp, disconnected arb link and all three bolts (2 at the top and 1 at the bottom), unloaded the spring so the shock was free.