PDA

View Full Version : installing heated seat element

mitsuchick
26-12-2013, 07:58 PM
i have a heated seat element that i want to install in my car

is there a write up anywhere on how difficult its going to be to take the upholstery apart?

ALSO
does anyone have a picture of the heated seat buttons on a legnum that had that option?

Atik
27-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Have a read of this thread for info on the Galant electric/heated seats.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?36523-Electric-Heated-Seats-Question&highlight=HEATED+SEATS

I did a seat swap a few years ago and had similar questions, but yours might be a little different due to putting in a different set of heating elements.

mitsuchick
27-12-2013, 06:54 PM
ya, i already read through that post.

what im trying to do is actually take my seat apart in order to put aftermarket heated seat elements inside.
i do not have airbags in my seats so it shouldnt be too bad.

i was GOING to use the oem heated seat switches but not if it takes up a precious cupholder.

Atik
27-12-2013, 11:14 PM
The oem switches can be relocated if you are willing to carry out some fabrication. I find it very annoying having no cupholders and the space that I have is not suitable to put anything but a can in as it always topples forward.

mitsuchick
28-12-2013, 12:23 AM
so it looks like i found quite a few walkthroughs on youtube for installing seat heaters in.
none for a mitsubishi specific but once i go through with it ill have to post photos!

mitsuchick
28-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Soooo i got this far... and the freaking argggggggggg stupid cloth is GLUED to the FOAM.......
so now i had to put everything back together before i can go out and buy fabric glue to put it back together also being extremely careful of the 17 years old foam and not to rip chunks out ... i dont even know if this is worth it.... :(

Atik
28-12-2013, 08:31 PM
The material will most likely stretch out of shape and wont go back on like it should. Its probably too much work in my opinion.
If you have a friendly re-upholsterer near you it may be worth looking into if you really want the heated seats.

mitsuchick
30-12-2013, 08:48 PM
YUP, moral to this story

its not worth it.. unless you are or have access to a professional upholsterer

Atik
30-12-2013, 10:38 PM
/lol

Did you try taking the fabric off then? Or give up before trying? You could possibly get a set of leather seats which should come off easy as I don't think they are glued down.
Or if you can locate a set of heated leather seats, they should fit without issues. That said, the fact you are in Canada might make that a tough search, and I suspect leather isnt too desirable when it is super cold!

mitsuchick
31-12-2013, 05:20 PM
i tried peeling it a little bit, but i didnt look like it was going to be nice.
i was originally really interested in leather heated seats but the 100's of $ to get them to canada... not really worth it since my interior is mint anyways

i just decided that my car is too rare to be ripping the seats apart.. hah its not like i can go to a local wrecker and get new interior .. i mean even if i found galant seats the "drivers" seats are backwards :(