PDA

View Full Version : cheap compressor to paint car ?

nos monkeys
29-12-2013, 08:38 AM
any ideas on what compressor i should buy? i just want something cheap and basic but want to paint my car with it. the paint im buying its just $40 for 5lts for nothing special and im not guna clear coat it. just want a basic paint job. and wouldnt mind a compressor anyway

I was going to just paint it with a paint roller to difficult getting in the hard to get places.

so far the cheapest i can find is this bad boy here http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Blackridge-Air-Compressor-Direct-Drive-2HP.aspx?pid=223418&menuFrom=70101#Combo but would that do it? if not could someone point me in a place where i can get one thats awesome for under $400 bare in mind ill need to buy a gun and air hose etc

kiwigalant
29-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Wow that's pretty cheap. I saw the 2.5HP one for $249 in the super cheap catalog today. I remember people saying that the cheaper/smaller ones wouldn't be suitable for cars because of the flow rate or capacity or something?

nos monkeys
29-12-2013, 09:33 AM
yeah the deal for it is cheaper lol did you click the deal button? comes with a hose and 21 piece kit and all together its only $140 http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/bonusbuys/2hp-compressor-air-tool-kit-for-149.aspx?BonusBuyId=14WKN26_15 this right here.

Yeah thats what i thought as well. my last car i painted with a compressor was just a cheap repco one since then the compressor was stolen by an ex friend and i cbf driving 3hours to take it back and probably not worth it. but i have no idea what specs that compressor was so no idea about the minium requirments i need. i might end up just buying that combo and even if i end up doing 1 panel at a time it'l be sweet lol.

This is what my last car turned out, and i painted it out in the open with cheapest paint possible think it was $45 for 5lts and i didnt even primer or clearcoat lol but it stayed the same 3 years later.

Wish i never sold that car, my first car owned it for 6years brought at 240,000kms sold at 360,000kms never once did i have 1 engine trouble and i was younger back then so that car took one hell of a hiding!! tried buying it back from the new owner but hes not keen to sell it

kiwigalant
29-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks like its painted pretty good, how much experience have you got bro? That's pretty cheap, it wouldn't seem like a waste if you couldn't do a full car with it but what can you expect for that price range.

Btw where do you get your paint from? I would have a go at painting my car, I've already mucked around with it and wasted money and time. Having a go at painting my neighbors outdoor furniture with his compressor and gun so that'll give me an idea on how it works.

nos monkeys
29-12-2013, 12:04 PM
that was my first car lol this is how it first looked after the first time i painted it with free paint i found in the shed, but the paint was **** and didnt set it went all velvet like so had to sand it back and redo it! and the paint i got was from this guy here. the paint is just a base coat and does require a clear but it still was mint without the clear and lasted fine just never had that metallic shine because that blue was actually ment to be metallic http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=678132255

That other picture is my interior done all by myself, was about $25 for the blue vinyl then got some grollia grip glue i found in the shed ( was to cheap to buy some spray glue) and away i went, brought the seats for $150 the pair I tried to teach myself how to re-upholster the seats but was a tad difficult without someone showing me what to do. still really keen to learn how to do that though just needa find someone that will show me how. I done all the plastic surrounds in chrome as well

Id say my paint job will turn out just as good if not better this time as that time i got abit slack in the end because i had to redo it. only thing with that cheap paint is the lack of colour choice but my car is silver and chrome so im going to get any silver/grey paint he has that looks the best. I really want to sell my jaguar though just because the more it sits in my shed the more im going to do to it lol i have already found where to buy new v8 engine mounts and everything i need for a bolt in 383 chev stroker turbo. . . but of course im not allowed to spend money on my car when i have a baby coming so i get in lots of trouble when i buy stuff for myself lol

kiwigalant
29-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Lol yeah it does look a bit patchy to me. My step dad wants to paint his toyota granvia van that is fading, he was saying how the paint is the cheap part and how we could do it. I wouldn't mind giving it a go now, at the end of the day it isn't my car lol.

Awesome work on the interior, what a difference it makes. I've seen pics of a galant with an interior like that and think it would be awesome.

wintertidenz
29-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Get the 180lph one. It is the minimum you want for spraying.

My one is a bit touch and go with spraying, I have to keep stopping to allow the compressor to recover.

nos monkeys
30-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Lol yeah it does look a bit patchy to me. My step dad wants to paint his toyota granvia van that is fading, he was saying how the paint is the cheap part and how we could do it. I wouldn't mind giving it a go now, at the end of the day it isn't my car lol.

Awesome work on the interior, what a difference it makes. I've seen pics of a galant with an interior like that and think it would be awesome.

if only i had a picture of the stock interior on this comp, yuky blue carpet type stuff wasnt the best at all.

The cheapest way is just use a paint roller from the warehouse but get the foam one not the fluffy one, fluffy one leaves fluff in the paint lol i painted my mates car last month with a roller. ill go out and get a picture of it now, it turned out mint but just make sure you dont put enamel overtop of the other type because the enamel reacts and adds orange peels to the paint. other than that its a quick easy $40 paintjob, we didnt even sand it either

This car use to be white the paint we used was black enamel chassis paint because its the only stuff supercheap had and he didnt want to wait to buy some off trademe. the car is dusty as and hasnt been cleaned in a few weeks. the bonnet is the worse on his car because he painted it like 3 times with different white spray cans so the black paint went all weird but all the guards and doors which had the stock paint on it was good as. 65962

nos monkeys
30-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Get the 180lph one. It is the minimum you want for spraying.

My one is a bit touch and go with spraying, I have to keep stopping to allow the compressor to recover.

What size one have you got? i think those 180lph ones come on special quite often like those other ones so i think i might just get the paint and get the car ready and fingers crossed it comes up on special im sure since iv moved to nelson a few months ago iv seen them big ones on special twice already

wintertidenz
30-12-2013, 01:09 AM
I've got the BRC180 - 2.5HP high performance. My friend works at Super Cheap and told me the one to go for.

It's fine for spraying but the moment the compressor starts you have to stop and wait for it to catch up - maybe a minute worth of spraying each time?
It also works well with my rattle gun.

nos monkeys
30-12-2013, 02:40 AM
cheers, might get that one as well. Do you know if they come up for special often?

Edit: just seen this one here which is where i live, any opinions compared to yours? its pretty much the same price

nos monkeys
02-01-2014, 06:55 AM
would you look at that supercheap autos specials this week, that compressor hose and guns are on special for $250 for the lot when it woulda been $600 or so seperate lol

all this for $249 (: http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/search-results.aspx?keywords=168671+339246+340074

wintertidenz
02-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Go for it. I missed out on a special like that, and they couldn't do anything for me so I bought all the parts separately.

Badger_01
02-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Theres a reason their stuff is cheap :)

Luckily I work at a proper tool/industrial equipment place so I know what works and what Im buying and how long it will last heh

nos monkeys
03-01-2014, 01:02 AM
yeah but it does have a year warrenty so $250 for a years worth isn't to bad. the only thing on them which breaks is the shutoff switch so over time it wont shut off once it reaches the max psi and you have to turn it off manually. which is fine by me + a new switch is only about $40. i googled it before i brought it lol