PDA

View Full Version : What drive train should I run?

vr4cobra
29-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to put about 330awkw/450awhp into my 96 Galant but I donno what power the standard drive train can handle. I was thinking maybe an evo s-ayc diff but un sure about the transfer case and transmission, was thinking evo 7 5speed mainly due to gearing. There arnt alot of VR4's running much more then 200awkw in Australia so very limited information over here on what to run.

Thanks in advance guys..

Nick Mann
30-12-2013, 12:06 AM
The gearbox and transfer box are evo 5/6 as far as I know and should cope with that. Evo boys with sayc start struggling with their rear diffs first at around 450 bhp at the fly. They tend to go evo rs lsd which is a possibility on the vr4 too. I think how hard and how often you intend to launch the car will be a factor too.

vr4cobra
30-12-2013, 01:18 AM
Hmm I will be taking her to track days and the odd test n tune drag night so maybe RS lsd would be way to go for trans case as well?

wintertidenz
30-12-2013, 01:26 AM
It depends if you're running an auto box or manual. No one really knows how much power the auto boxes can handle - although I do recall seeing posts on here about some people taking their autos down the drag strip using NOS all day and they were fine.

IIRC the AYC can give a bit of trouble around the point that Nick said - the transfer cases also don't like launches as the casing flexes.

vr4cobra
30-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry my car has been converted to manual due to 2 auto box failures (first was on way out when I bought the car, second very poor rebuild by a so called respectable transmission place). So stock manual box "should" handle the power and better to go RS diff and transfer case incase I launch a little too much. Next is the tail shaft and CV's, can they handle that sort of power or will I be twisting shafts?

Nick Mann
30-12-2013, 11:56 AM
You should be okay on those. The only drive shafts I am aware of people breaking have been on 2wd conversions. I think you would need to get to 500 hp plus before the drive shafts would be an issue. The only shaft I would be concerned about is the smallest hollow shaft from the gearbox to the transfer box. You can buy uprated versions of that simply because the evo guys have had issues. A couple of vr4 owners including myself have twisted them too.

vr4cobra
30-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Do u know wat that shaft is called? And where to get the uprated one from?