PDA

View Full Version : Improved Induction?

Erni902
30-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Right so I was bored earlier so had an idea.

Took my new wrapped bonnet off and put it on the grass.

Opened up the garage where my old bonnet stood.

Took out the angle grinder.

Put the old bonnet on the car to see how it looked.

Here are the results:

Now I know its not perfect by any means but its just to get the idea right. Its in the right place for the intake funnel and once tidied up etc will have mesh behind it.

Only thing is Im not sure whether to leave it as is (obviously tidied up and smoothed edges etc and supports down the sides) or whether to put some sort of scoop along the top edge to channel the air down aswell.

Any opinions feedback etc welcomed.

ebo06
30-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Rikki,

I would have possibly made the cut at the front of the bonnet and lifted the flap rather than cut at the back and having the slope down if that makes sense then tidied up the edges and making a scoop. Just my 2 cents but good idea.

swinks
30-12-2013, 07:13 PM
But you can still cover hole with universal scoop ;)

Erni902
30-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi Rikki,

I would have possibly made the cut at the front of the bonnet and lifted the flap rather than cut at the back and having the slope down if that makes sense then tidied up the edges and making a scoop. Just my 2 cents but good idea.

Did think of that but wanted the underside to be as smooth as possible. This would also have meant cutting through the reinforced (ish) bar where the bonnet catch is and didn't quite fancy it incase it had an adverse affect but cheers for feedback its always good to hear others ideas :)

wintertidenz
30-12-2013, 10:52 PM
I reckon tidy it up, chuck a scoop on there, and see if it helps.

adaxo
30-12-2013, 11:19 PM
I would newer say that snorkel sitting so deep, good effort and IMO if you be able to clean this up and fit some kind of universal scoop (mentioned above) it will end up not bad at all.

btw. who drive this white type v leggy?

Erni902
30-12-2013, 11:36 PM
I would newer say that snorkel sitting so deep, good effort and IMO if you be able to clean this up and fit some kind of universal scoop (mentioned above) it will end up not bad at all.

btw. who drive this white type v leggy?

I know I never thought it was that far down either lol. Need to find someway of strengthening the opening of the snorkel so that it is straight across the top as it is quite a bow. (Ive never seen one that is straight)

As this is my old surplus bonnet Im using it as a test and adjust piece. Been looking on ebay for some cheap universal letterbox scoops so may just grab a couple of these and see what looks best on then tidy it up.

As for the white Leggy this is gadboy007's new one

TAR
30-12-2013, 11:55 PM
you need to try an seal it so all the air enters the intake. if the air is free to enter the engine bay, it will decrease the low pressure area which in turn can affect how much air is drawn through the radiator.

:happy:

adaxo
31-12-2013, 12:13 AM
May something in this design (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-impreza-BIG-rally-roof-scoop-92-00-new-/151199931966?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233437de3e) will fit nicely, i know its say subaru in title, sorry /lol

Erni902
31-12-2013, 12:18 AM
you need to try an seal it so all the air enters the intake. if the air is free to enter the engine bay, it will decrease the low pressure area which in turn can affect how much air is drawn through the radiator.

:happy:

Totally agree Tim, need to find a way of straightening the top of the funnel and reinforcing it so it doesn't start to bow again. Once I have that sorted I will probably look at some sort scoop that allows me to lengthen the underside so that it comes into contact with the top of the funnel at an angle so it blocks air entering the engine bay and channels it into the funnel. If that makes sense lol.

Does anyone know if the stock funnels come bowed or if at one point they were straight? i.e. If I were to buy a replacement brand new from mitsy would the top be straight?

Erni902
31-12-2013, 12:21 AM
May something in this design (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-impreza-BIG-rally-roof-scoop-92-00-new-/151199931966?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233437de3e) will fit nicely, i know its say subaru in title, sorry /lol

Pretty much the sort of thing ive been looking at Adam there are a fair few on ebay. Not sure I like the thought of having 'Subaru' on my car though haha

fassi1
31-12-2013, 12:49 AM
That should make an improvement. As my test proved stock snorkel entrance is located in low pressure zone ( 0.056 bar of vacuum ) when under high boost.
If you add scoop, the snorkel entrance should always be in minimum atmosferic pressure zone, should never end up beeing in low pressure zone cause of the air rushing in to it.
The only thing is that snorkel's entrance size (cross section) remained unchanged, it's still smaller than its exit. You should try to enlarge the entrance as much as it's possible by cutting some of the snorkel's top section. If you managed to get the entrance as big as the exit that would be great success :thumbsup:

Erni902
31-12-2013, 01:11 AM
That should make an improvement. As my test proved stock snorkel entrance is located in low pressure zone ( 0.056 bar of vacuum ) when under high boost.
If you add scoop, the snorkel entrance should always be in minimum atmosferic pressure zone, should never end up beeing in low pressure zone cause of the air rushing in to it.
The only thing is that snorkel's entrance size (cross section) remained unchanged, it's still smaller than its exit. You should try to enlarge the entrance as much as it's possible by cutting some of the snorkel's top section. If you managed to get the entrance as big as the exit that would be great success :thumbsup:

Cheers for the advice Chris, much appreciated. I was hoping you'd stop by the thread what with all the testing you've been doing. The beauty of it is I have a spare bonnet and a spare snorkel so have the flexibility to mess around and get it perfect without compromising the actual car lol.

Off for a drive up Worksop way tomorrow and probably not going to be in a fit state to return until Thursday afternoon so nothing will happen for the next couple of days but hopefully be proactive with this while I have the chance :)

fassi1
31-12-2013, 04:54 PM
What you can try Rikki is to enlarge the scoop and entrance of the snorkel by cutting out a bit more.
The snorkel's entrance is really small with cross section almost identical to the MAF's cross section.

exevoowner
31-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Could you not cut a small peice of alu angel to fit to top of snorkel so it just sits to cut line in bonnet and make a scoop to fit over from front of bonnet with a slope inside to force air in to snorkel maybe if it works right made in carbon ?
or have top half of snorkel fitted to bonnet under side with away of matting it to air box with pipe

Erni902
22-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Right had a bit of a play earlier to open the entrance of the snorkel up a bit and below is the result. Yes it does look chippy but I didn't spend long doing it and I now need to find a way of keeping the new flap in position.

Maybe bonding the sides with some fiberglass or plastic welding or something I don't know yet but for now the bolts serve a good purpose. This means that I can wind the bolt more and the 'flap' will raise and I can then stop it from lowering down the thread by using the nut on the underside.

The cross-sectional area I was aiming for was upwards of 6786mm2 as this is the same as the exit. what I have managed with this method is around 8000mm2 so I'm happy with that. I also think this will fit nice and snugly to the bottom of the new hole in my bonnet. I also think I can make the entrance even bigger when I do the finished product as I will be doing it with my FL bonnet which has a bigger bulge therefore possibly gives me more room to work with.

The other thing I need to do is remove the old 'supports' inside the snorkel, as they now serve no purpose, and fill the holes up and smooth it down. This will also remove those as a potential restriction. (ok I'm being a bit anal here but every little helps) Then to test and adjust by putting the bonnet back on and then we can get to finalising the details and tidying up.

BubbaLeggyVR4
22-01-2014, 07:27 PM
This looks good, might do something similar :)

Gingerfish
22-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Excellent work there Rikki.

....... just be careful you don't start hoovering up seagulls!

Erni902
22-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Excellent work there Rikki.

....... just be careful you don't start hoovering up seagulls!

Hehe well I've got some spare mesh kicking around so I plan to put that over the gaping bonnet hole so only the blood and some of the guts get in there /haz

Erni902
30-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Right Ive made slight progress I suppose. I purchased an uber cheap scoop from ebay. I then chopped it up slightly to suit.

Swapped the snorkel on the car with the modified one and swapped the wrapped bonnet with the butchered one. The snorkel entrance is now closer to the bonnet but can still be raised a little more to make it nice and flush. Then placed the scoop over the top to see how it would look. Here are a couple of pics:

The scoop still needs to be modified more. Probably take a strip (about 1 inch wide) out of the middle of the scoop then plastic weld it back together then either shorten the scoop so it mates with the back of the hole and angles the air into the snorkel or keep the length angle a sort of flap halfway along to mate with the hole and angle the air into the snorkel.

Any comments/ideas welcomed as usual.

WOODY72
30-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Attachment don't work Rikki!

Davezj
30-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Only comment so far is the picture links do not work

Beat me to it graham.

adaxo
30-01-2014, 05:13 PM
All would be easier to see if pictures actually work.

galantnight
30-01-2014, 05:29 PM
the links for the photos dont work? tells me they are not valid?
sorry should have look before i posted lol

Erni902
30-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Try again guys. I could see them as soon as I posted them but went back and they disappeared. Just re-uploaded them :)

Confused
30-01-2014, 05:55 PM
I wonder if you could use a Shogun/L200 bonnet scoop - that'll be OEM-y0!

Erni902
30-01-2014, 06:14 PM
I wonder if you could use a Shogun/L200 bonnet scoop - that'll be OEM-y0!

Aha I actually thought about that too but it was not quite the right size and I thought it was a bit pointless in spending more than a few quid for the 'prototype' that I was going to have to hack up any way. Once Ive finished and decided the way forward then I will go for the more expensive quality parts etc so the L200 scoop is still on my radar for the final product as are a few others :)

fassi1
31-01-2014, 09:00 AM
That's looking good Rikki. Nice big air entrance directly in front of air box so no extra bends on the way to air filter.

Erni902
31-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Cheers Chris :)

As I said earlier the scoop was a bit wide for the hole and needed a bit of modification itself. I chopped about 1.5" out of the middle and it seems to be near as dammit bang on the same size. I also thought that maybe the scoop was too long??!! I chopped the scoop down to the same length as the hole. This obviously makes it smaller but also means it naturally forces the air down into the snorkel.

Not too keen on the look of the smaller scoop so re-attached it. This means that I will need to place a piece of angled plastic on the underside of the scoop halfway down to force the air down into the snorkel.

have a badgers at some pics:

fassi1
31-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah looking good.
So what is the cross section of the entrance with bonnet slammed down?
Is it bigger than snorkel's exit?

Erni902
31-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Yeah looking good.
So what is the cross section of the entrance with bonnet slammed down?
Is it bigger than snorkel's exit?

Sure is bigger :) bonnet hole is around the same as the snorkel entrance now so roughly 8000mm2 as is the cross section of the entrance of the scoop :)