PDA

View Full Version : Floaty front end.

Chris.W
30-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Right folks I'm starting to pull my hair out here.

Replaced all the suspension arms on the front end + track rod ends. Fitted FL hub carriers, Brembo calipers, Evo discs and 17" Enki's.
The hub carriers, Brembos and wheels came off the Legnum that I am breaking and all worked well there.

The issue I have is after having the tracking done, the front end still feels all over the place. Everything is tight, done a spanner check on all the nuts and ball joints, just cant seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Chris.W
30-12-2013, 10:22 PM
The only other thing I have done is raise the ride height on the coilovers.

Atik
30-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Tyre pressures ok? Wheels are ok, not buckled or anything?
Raising the coilovers might have altered the camber/toe so might be out of alignment even though it looks straight.

Nick Mann
30-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Track rods or rack ends? (Same thing, different names.) I had uneven tyre wear and a vague front end until I finallyddiscovered a small amount of play in one of the rack ends.

97vr4
31-12-2013, 01:13 AM
have you checked the sway bar?
I had a lot of understeer on my skyline until i put on a whiteline front sway bar
i found i could throw the car into corners harder after installing it
i also was at my witts end. replaced all bushings, suspension components, alignment, ect..... in the end the single sway bar made the world of difference.
the sway bar on my skyline was a joke from factory. When i pulled it off it was a cheap quality metal and felt very light. the whiteline sway bar was massive and much thicker

97vr4
31-12-2013, 01:16 AM
also forgot to add
many companies make coilovers that try to do the job or a sway bar
a sway bar is for sway
coilovers are for stance
i was stupid and neglected to repalce the sway bar until almost 5 years of owning the car. i assumed it was decent from factory
cusco and whiteline are the way to go

Chris.W
31-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Tyre pressures are fine Attik, like I say the wheels were on the Leggie on std suspension and there was no driving issues.

Nick, it was the ball joints on the ends of the rods from the rack. Both ball joints were brand new. Tracking set after fitting.

97vr4, I changed the droplinks and roll bar/swaybar bushes at the same time. The ride height (Tein Super Wagon Coilovers) was adjusted before the tracking was set.

Will deffo look in to the track rods Nick, just gona have to keep looking untill I figure it out. Cheers Guys.

TAR
31-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Could the tracking be incorrect? What settings did they use? Did you get a print out?

:happy:

Z-Kev
10-01-2014, 07:21 AM
if you have done all the lower susp items then only the upper arm remains

Chris.W
10-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Nick - checked the track rods, they seem fine. No play or any such thing.

Z-Kev - The upper arms were changed at the same time.

Tar - You could be right. The tracking was set with the wheels that are now on the rear fitted to the front. After the wheels were swaped front to back, it went from driving straight to a mild pull to the left.

Starting to think that the wheels are out of balance or buckled, plus the tyres are crap. So this may well be the issue.

Z-Kev
10-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I fitted budget tyres for the winter and my front end feels a lot less stable, quite light in fact

Chris.W
10-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Yup I think that's my big problem. The tyres didn't feel bad on the Leggie but then that was standard ride height and suspension.

To be honest when they were on the Leggie you could light the tires up and get the car sideways out of junctions from a standing start.

Just need to get some coin together so I can get rid of the Ditch Finder 3000's I have at the moment.