PDA

View Full Version : KAD's & Brembo's & Nationals etc

bernmc
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
I was wondering what sort of noticeable difference a set of brakes like the Kads or Brembos make as compared to cheapie nationals or black diamonds? I think Spirit had a 96 with what looked like std brakes, now has a newer model with massive KADs... worth all that extra money if they don't come with the car?

And how about pads for those big beasts? Do they last any longer?

And finally, as I am powhitetrash, what do you think a good price for a set of ex-evo brembo brakes and pads would be?

Spirit
09-02-2005, 08:29 AM
My 96 VR4 had standard discs/pads which I changed for the National discs and Ferodo DS2500's and I was very impressed with them and highly recommend them.

My 99 VR4 has KAD 6 pots with 330mm discs and Ferodo DS2500's which the previos owner (Simon) had fitted (approx £1500) - tbh I would not have been able to afford them had they not been on already - so to summarise, get the best you can afford I guess

SGHOM
09-02-2005, 08:37 AM
these are on my shopping list !!

http://www.potn.com/hi-spec-brakes_c2918_3422_3800_4565_p1127266.htm

Nick Mann
09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
My 96 VR4 had standard discs/pads which I changed for the National discs and Ferodo DS2500's and I was very impressed with them and highly recommend them.

My 99 VR4 has KAD 6 pots with 330mm discs and Ferodo DS2500's which the previos owner (Simon) had fitted (approx £1500) - tbh I would not have been able to afford them had they not been on already - so to summarise, get the best you can afford I guess

Can you quantify how much better they are?

Simon
09-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Put it like this....it allowed me to outbreak that R34 GTR!!!!!

Simon
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
We all know the standard pads/calipers are ok for fast road but wont last 5 hot laps of a track day.....As Spirit says its down to what you can afford. PS Im still paying off those KADs on my credit card!!!!! WTF! :)

I would say IMHO that.....(Castle Combe for example) the first two laps going against other cars with normal breaks that there is no real difference, on the third lap the others cars start to get brake fade whereas with the KADs they are just starting to really bite. By the fourth lap you notice others breaking 20 metres earlier than they have to whereas you dont!!. The KADs are then up to temperature for the last two laps. :) and you can easily keep up the speed for longer allowing for quicker lap times.

On a small circuit like CC with heavy breaking you dont need huge horsepower but you do need good brakes.

If you can get around CC in around 1m 40sec you are doing good, the big brakes could save you up to 10secs on a 1.8m course, so a lot really based over 5 laps.

Whatever car i get next i'll be looking at KAD's or Hi Spec, depends on who is the cheapest! Ask Jimbo what he thinks about his AP Racing.......

To finish.... I use to stamp on the brakes after a track session just before coming off the track (to see how bad the pads were) and with the original brakes, nothing much happened........the first time i tried this with the KADs i threw myself and co-pilot forward...into our belts...with my co-pilot swearing!....and a brief lock up of the front wheels....The hotter they get the better they brake...............If you do three track days + a year consider the big breaks, if its not that often go for uprated pads, increase brake fluid quality and braided hoses......they should just about last for 5 laps......:) :)

Spirit
09-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for posting that Simon, an experience I have yet to enjoy - hence I was going to postpone my reply until after Saturday

SGHOM
09-02-2005, 11:36 PM
On a small circuit like CC with heavy breaking you dont need huge horsepower but you do need good brakes.

:)

anyone want to swap 100 bhp of nitrous kit for some AP brakes ??

Physician
10-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Ironically I spoke to KAD a few days ago.

For VR4:

Front brake upgrade kit is £1,458.00. You get the 6 pot calipers, discs, braided hoses, DS2500 or Pagid alternative pads plus a bottle of Dot 5.1 fluid.

Within a couple of months they will also have a rear brake kit including handbrake.

Delivery about 10 days depending on what colour calipers you want. Fitting takes about two hours and they can do it for you if you wish at approx £120 plus VAT.

Think I'll go for this as Simon has given such a good recommendation.

bernmc
10-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Front brake upgrade kit is £1,458.00.
:rolleyes4 Eeeek! How long do those discs and pads last before you have to fork out again (minus the calipers of course)?

Anyone have any ideas on 2nd hand brembo prices?

Simon
10-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Pete, you should enjoy them saturday, just build up a bit of heat in them first!!!!, dont want anyone coming off at the first corner!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes4

Spirit
10-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Plan is not to come off at all, tbh I hope it's damp conditions to look after the tyres a little - also gonna need to order some pads soon as they are down to 40%

Slimshady
10-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Fitting takes about two hours

Yahhh right, I am not a mechanic but I am an engineer – 2 hours to completely change a full set of disks, pads and callipers on your own – it took me close to 6 hours to do this – sure if you don’t have to smash the disks off, clean off the rust and paint the callipers you could save yourself a couple of hours but who in their right mind would not clean the hubs and callipers before fitting a new set – errrrr perhaps the Mitsi garage in Lincoln or any garage for that mater.

I opted for BD’s – not bad at all and now the ABS works if you jump on the peddle – sure these are not racing disks or pads (simple drilled and grooved performance) but I will never take the car on the track (quick look over the shoulder to see if she is watching me type – ok maybe once or twice if I get the chance) – short runs to the shops or work are fine – perhaps a small amount of heat is required to get them up to speed – but at least I don’t have to drive heal and toe for the fist mile or two to get them up to temperature.

Sorry the point I am trying to make, after this long rubbish is – if the car is for the road – fit road disks and pads (race versions are no good) – if the car is solely a track car, go for it – I F’ing would!!!!!!!

I have posted a document on how to do it yourself in the members section if you are interested

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6896

(doesn’t work – go on pay up £20 for full membership – a fair price to pay)

psbarham
10-02-2005, 11:52 PM
belive it or not i doesn't that long to do all the brakes on a galant i did all the pads , front disc's and calipers and full system bleed up in just over 1 1/2 hours . ok i am a mechanic but mainly on plant / HGV's . but i did do all that at home on a gravel drive and no specasiled tools apart from an easi-bleed .

RED
11-02-2005, 12:03 AM
You will pay about £250 a corner for second hand brembos. If you are lucky you might get discs with them aswell!!! Discs are about £120 each and pads are about the same. There are always some for sale on MLR forum. :2thumbsup

Marcus

zedy1
11-02-2005, 12:22 AM
You will pay about £250 a corner for second hand brembos. If you are lucky you might get discs with them aswell!!! Discs are about £120 each and pads are about the same. There are always some for sale on MLR forum. :2thumbsup

Marcus

bought a set of bremo from fleabay for £330 for 4 calipers,need to save up and buy discs and hubs now.

:oops: foegot to mention i need to sort my gearbox oil leak

RED
11-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Bargain :2thumbsup What sort of condition are they in? Get Bradi discs if you can as the Brembo originals are made of chocolate :thumbsup:

bernmc
11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
So now: G-Tech meters everywhere... assuming the things can measure g's on decelleration... how do people feel about getting together to do a mini brake test. If we could find a decent spot, we could either measure g-s on serial stops, or do a white line-break-from-60 and measure the distance etc....

Or, with the G-tech, people could just do a couple of runs in their cars, and post results on the forums?

Obviously conditions, tyres etc will affect things, but it would be interesting eh?

EdmundVR4
13-02-2005, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Spirit]My 96 VR4 had standard discs/pads which I changed for the National discs and Ferodo DS2500's and I was very impressed with them and highly recommend them.

Hey Spirit, Do you have the model or part numbers for your brake set up ? Where did you get them & how much did it cost ?
I also have a '96 VR4 & the Evo 6 Brembo brakes are available here but are a problem to fit....so I am looking for the next best thing as my stock set up is just about done.
Thanks,
Edmund

Wodjno
23-08-2005, 07:46 PM
So now: G-Tech meters everywhere... assuming the things can measure g's on decelleration... how do people feel about getting together to do a mini brake test. If we could find a decent spot, we could either measure g-s on serial stops, or do a white line-break-from-60 and measure the distance etc....

Or, with the G-tech, people could just do a couple of runs in their cars, and post results on the forums?

Obviously conditions, tyres etc will affect things, but it would be interesting eh?

I know this is an old thread, but just thought i would post my results up for GTech braking distances. A few months ago i did 10 consecutive 0-60-0 runs.. My first 60-0 was 121ft. then they steadily started to decrease as my brakes warmed up and my best was 102ft..

This was on GS-D3 tyres. Dry and warm conditions and EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff Ceramic Pads.. Standard VR4 Calipers.

Quail
23-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Whats the general conscencus (sp?!) on budget disks? EBC Turbo Grooves, Black Diamond, or National? Ive heard good things about National from this forum, but had never heard about them before?

Wodjno
24-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Whats the general conscencus (sp?!) on budget disks? EBC Turbo Grooves, Black Diamond, or National? Ive heard good things about National from this forum, but had never heard about them before?

Black Diamond i had on my 620ti where very good braking but i mullered them .. Overheated and cracked to buggery and warped as hell and that was in 1 set of pads(can't remember what they were thou0
The Turbo groove have minor surface cracks in but they are still true. The Vr4 is a lot heavier than the 620ti aswell. I have gone through a set of EBC Red stuffs on them and they aren't that badly worn. I think the Red stuff ceramics are a cooler running pad.. ? I have never had fade with them ..

Quail
24-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks; I think ill stay away from drilled disks and go for just grooved

Wodjno
25-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just thought i would post my results up for GTech braking distances. A few months ago i did 10 consecutive 0-60-0 runs.. My first 60-0 was 121ft. then they steadily started to decrease as my brakes warmed up and my best was 102ft..

This was on GS-D3 tyres. Dry and warm conditions and EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff Ceramic Pads.. Standard VR4 Calipers.

Just wondering if anyone else hand tested the braking abilities with Gtech or other device.. I'm inquisitive to see how much difference the Big Pot Calipers make .. :inquisiti

pezza
25-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone else hand tested the braking abilities with Gtech or other device.. I'm inquisitive to see how much difference the Big Pot Calipers make .. :inquisiti

Uh oh, the start of a slippery slope, I'm tellin' ya :leer:

As long as I don't talk to Heath or NickM I will be OK /yes

AP racing solution is how much (if available)? :anxious:

Nick Mann
25-10-2005, 06:46 PM

I never checked with the quaint little brakes it came with, so I couldn't say! I would say the big difference is with hard driving - the third and fourth time you stop hard, the car still feels the same rather than the brake pedal informing you politely to give it a rest!

Wodjno
25-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I never checked with the quaint little brakes it came with, so I couldn't say! I would say the big difference is with hard driving - the third and fourth time you stop hard, the car still feels the same rather than the brake pedal informing you politely to give it a rest!
The 102ft i attained was on the 10th run. I was braking from around 70mph.. Just wondered if we could get a comparison chart.. I am expecting the KAD's to perform quite a bit better than my standard calipers /yes But probably not as good as a Porsche 911 Turbo that was once tested on Top Gear and achieved an EyE PoPpInG 72ft from 70mph to 0mph :o

Wodjno
26-04-2010, 12:52 PM
The 102ft i attained was on the 10th run. I was braking from around 70mph.. Just wondered if we could get a comparison chart.. I am expecting the KAD's to perform quite a bit better than my standard calipers /yes But probably not as good as a Porsche 911 Turbo that was once tested on Top Gear and achieved an EyE PoPpInG 72ft from 70mph to 0mph :o

So any resultls yet :vulcan:

Beastlee
26-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd try if I had something to measure with.

psbarham
26-04-2010, 09:41 PM
So any resultls yet :vulcan:

ooh, now there's an idea, i have new discs on order so as soon as they are fitted then i shall have a play/rally

Wodjno
27-04-2010, 12:28 AM
ooh, now there's an idea, i have new discs on order so as soon as they are fitted then i shall have a play/rally

Perfect way to bed them in /yes

dinger1983
27-04-2010, 06:12 PM
brembos on ebay right now very cheap

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360254661240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT