PDA

View Full Version : roads are terrible terrible suspension squeaks

mitsuchick
08-01-2014, 08:04 PM
So, ill link a short clip of how terrible my car sounds

i have already changed all the front control arms just 2 months ago.

http://youtu.be/mOWG3DF-0z4

charlesjohn
08-01-2014, 09:19 PM
It could be the ball joints had mine go twice in 3 months

mitsuchick
08-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Ugh Really? ill have to check them out
they are only 2 months old :(

Nick Mann
08-01-2014, 11:06 PM
When you say control arms, do you mean the lower straight arm that comes from the subframe through the bottom of the suspension strut and finishes at a ball joint into the hub carrier? That's the one that often makes that noise and sometimes fails catastrophically. I guess it could be something else, but 9 out of 10 are that ball joint.

charlesjohn
09-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I forgot to add most places offer a warranty on their parts and if you got the work done at a garage it will cover the labour to replace them i got mine redone at their cost.

Davezj
09-01-2014, 12:19 AM
did you get genuine mitsi replacement part or did you go for much cheaper after market arms. you get what you pay for with suspension arms.
not sure if the weather out in canada has something to do with it as well did you say the temp was getting down to -20 deg C or so.
if it is these arms again then it should be a 15-20 mins a side to swap the lower arms out, as you know none of the bolts are seised as they were removed 2 months ago.

crazydriver81
09-01-2014, 08:51 AM
result of a ball joint falure from the front lateral arms...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?46750-Another-ball-joint-failure&highlight=ball+joint+failure

Squeaking sound often comes from the front lower arms (either lateral or the bent arm). Check the ball joint immediately as these parts are subject to wear and given the age of your car it could be that it is time to replace them...

mitsuchick
10-01-2014, 06:04 AM
i replaced Both control arms on both sides including ball joints

i did them myself... as you say it really isn't a hard job to do. took me all of 1 hour to do everything

and also ordered online
so no warranty for me

it got down to half/double that LOL -40 actually

and ya i cheaped out because i wanted to replace everything at once but they actually looked like better quality arms than OE

originally i noticed the arms touch each other because they are bulkier and figured they would just wear each other down enough to not touch anymore.

ive had other cars have the balljoints go really bad but never heard a sound this terrible or even anything like it before :S

last but not least es i do know how CATASTROPHIC it will be if the balljoint decides to let go...

Davezj
10-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Have you taken the wheels off and had a good look at the lowsr straight arms since ou had the noise come back.
reason i ask is i believe the issue is with the squeaking is water ingress into the ball joint itself. i have seem lower arms were the rubber dust/moisture cover do not seal on the arm and actuall pop off from round the base and allow as much water/moisture into the ball joint as reaches that area of the suspension.
i would imagine if you are in snowy conditions thenthis ball joint area will get snow packing in it as you drive round (or sideways) and when it melt it will find it's way into any seal that is not tight.
all you can do really is either get it onto a 4 post ramp so the wheels have wieght on them and listen to the squeal as it happens to see if you can tell where it coming from or try and do a similar thing on the ground if a ramp is not avilable.
If you can reproduce the noise with the car in the air on axle stands then even better. you could try disconnecting each arm in turn from the hub carrier and then moving the hub carrier to see if the noise has gone.
but i don't hold out much hope for you duplicating this without height on the ball joints.

you could try this to load up each ball joint in turn,
I have not thought this through or tried it, it is an ides that has just come to me.

get car in the air, no weight on the front wheels, use a rachet strap to put weight on each arm in turn, loop the ratchet stap throught the top wishbone and then down and round the arm then tighen it up, this will put pressure on both the top wishbone ball joint and the lower arm ball joint. do this for each arm in turn then move the wheel and see if it squeals.
you will have to work out if it is lower or upper ball joint squealing though, it could be upper.

just a thought on the diagnostic option, not sure if this will work, lets us know if you try it.
i cant see why it would not work.

mitsuchick
10-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a plan, ill have to see what i hear