PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Stud size

frankoni
11-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi all, i managed to snap an exhaust stud on the rear downpipe a while ago. Now the cars off the road i thought i would have a go at repairing it...Ive tried welding a nut on the snapped stud but the welds kept braking so then i tried a stud extractor which just snapped of the remaining part of the stud !! There is only about 2mm's of the stud so all i can do now is drill it out and rethread it. i bought a new stud
Does anyone know what size the thread is so i can buy a drill bit and tap???????????

fassi1
11-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Stock nut size is 19 mm and I don't remember exactly the size of the stud but I'm guessing 12 mm.
I can check it for you later on.

frankoni
11-01-2014, 01:51 PM
cheers for the reply, what im actually after is the type of thread the stud is ,ie '10 x 1.25', ive got a new stud ready to go in but i dont know what thread it is? the thread on the the new stud seems to be very fine.....

Nick Mann
11-01-2014, 02:35 PM
If you have anything to measure with you can work it out. Put your ruler along the thread and count the threads then divide the distance by that number. So 10 threads in a distance of 15mm would be 15/10=1.5mm. The diameter is more tricky to measure with a ruler, but you know that it will be a whole mm so the difference between 10 and 12 should beeasy see.

Davezj
11-01-2014, 06:23 PM
you could get yourself a thread gauge.
It is a set of toothed plates that has teeth of various sizes to fit in the gaps of the threads on the bolts and studs, a bit like a feeler gauge measers gaps this little gauge does threads.
i am sure you can get them for a couple of quid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Blade-55-Whitworth-Screw-60-Metric-Screw-Thread-Pitch-Measure-Gauge-UNC-UFC-/370975392183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item565fdb41b7

elnevio
11-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Or you could just drill the hole out and put any bolt/nut combo through that fits?

frankoni
12-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Cheers guys for you help on this one, just to top it ive now lost the new stud so will probably go with what Nev said drill it tap it and chuck a bolt in it, thats probably easier than searching around for the exact tap for the original stud......