PDA

View Full Version : swapping instument cluster dash clocks hi vis dash

Davezj
11-01-2014, 06:16 PM
has anyone swapped a hi vis dash for another hi vis dash. the same type just a different unit due to some kind of failure?

what i would like to know is, what happens to the milage read out?

i have a spare hi vis dash that i took out of my old black vr4 so it was an early PFL with a 7201 ecu.
In that car i replaced the hi vis dash on a temp basis while i did a colour change on the bulbs etc then refitted the original. as far as i can remeber the the mileage on the replacement hi vis dash did not match the milage on the original dash. So i always believed that the milage stayed with the hi vis dash when it gets removed.

i swapped the hi vis dash in my current vr4, for the old one out of my other car to do some work on it. and the hi vis dash i fitted just had a blank milage read out. i know this hi vis dash used to work but not any more. it has been sat not powered up for about 4 years. so i dont know if that would effect it.

Any ideas or info.

exevoowner
11-01-2014, 07:42 PM
milage stays in the dash as for blank milage could of just been bad connection

swinks
11-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Seconded.
Mileage is stored in dash eprom.
If it was sitting idle for such long, then maybe one of capacitors gone?

Davezj
11-01-2014, 09:56 PM
i was thinking the back up power might have just failed.

thanks for the responses guys, it gives me the point to go from.

exevoowner
11-01-2014, 10:28 PM
You could be rite dave mite be worth pluging it in for a few hours but check contacts first

MarkSanne
12-01-2014, 10:01 AM
I have had HC dashes laying in my 'spares department' for a few years and upon plugging them in a car the old stored milage is shown directly. I don't think a battery or capacitor is needed to keep it stored.