PDA

View Full Version : restrictive exhaust??

Nevets
12-01-2014, 08:10 PM
So after having my 1998 2.0 GLS for a week, I'm starting to think that the exhaust and air filter are a bit restrictive.

the exhaust and even engine don't really make much noise at all (only done 26k so just about run in)

i was thinking of starting to do a few things on it, so was looking for a new decent air filter (cone or replacement oem style) and a decent but not too noisy but less restrictive exhaust.

was looking on demon-tweeks and they have a couple for under 200 quid, an thats sort of what i was looking to spend as i don't have that much money.

something like this was what I am looking at, as it shouldn't be that loud as it has dampening in it but more gas flow.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/exhaust-systems/jetex-performance-exhaust-system

what would your view be on an exhaust like that? I didn't want to spend stupid amounts on mods, just something to make it sound and go a little bit better.

Trotty
12-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Looks like a good bit of kit. Should work well enough.

Nevets
15-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I have just read, that the CAT is pretty restrictive and strangles the engine.

how easy is it to pass an MOT with the CAT removed? i've never removed one before, as I have only ridden motorbikes before this and the ones I have had have not had cats as they are either really old, or just didn't have them for the newish ones.

orionn2o
15-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Probably impossible.

You'll need to have a Cat at MOT time

Nick Mann
15-01-2014, 05:54 PM
I have no idea how restrictive the cat is on the 2.0

As Matt says, you will need a cat on the car at MOT time, even if you can pass the emissions without one. (It's very difficult to pass the CO without a cat on - in the past a few members have got away with it.) The only easy way now is to either run the car without a cat and then replace it for the MOT (potentially illegal) or to buy a sports cat.

Trotty
15-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm not condoning this but in aus they don't put the sniffer up the exhaust for mot. So punch the cat out and get straight pipe welded up the centre. This way it looks like its still fitted. But this is highly ILLEGAL! Upto$ 10,000 fine.

Nevets
27-01-2014, 02:41 AM
buy a sports cat.

do you, or anyone know how much to sports cats up the emissions numbers? as i don't really want to be fitting a normal cat again when MOT time comes around