PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions regarding major service, belts, pulleys, alternator etc.

upshotbravo
17-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Vancouver Canada.

I took possession of a recently imported Legnum VR4 about a month ago.... it is generally in quite good shape with a couple of issues I am trying to address and since my mechanic here has never seen one of these cars (they are exceptionally rare in North America), I am trying to gather as much info as possible to make their job easier and keep the number of labor hours down to a minimum.

Is there a guide to the 100k/major service? I ordered all the parts (timing belt and other belts, tensioners, pulleys, water pump) from ralliart New Zealand and i also ordered a new 100amp alternator (MD336781... its a warm spec car and the 120amp alternator is unobtainable here) up from the US because mine was not charging the battery correctly, (battery is being replaced too) I have found the alternator removal guide and that looks simple enough.

So I guess what I need is some info, step by step (if such a thing exists) of how they change out all the pulleys, tensioners, timing belt, water pump... all that, stuff... ive had a look around the resource library but cant find exactly what im looking for.

Before anyone asks, I am leaving the spark plugs alone for the moment until i get the requisite gasket sets sent here. I have already had the auto trans fluid and transfer case fluid and coolant and the engine oil flushed and changed, the AYC diff/speed gear and clutch packs are up next, that is another story.

Another option, one of the younger techs at the shop I deal with is a Kiwi, he was planning to call a few shops back home and ask around about the procedure... is there a particularly good shop in NZ that people trust to work on their legnums? anyone friendly down that way I should steer him to for a brief chat?

Thanks everyone for any info in advance.

Humpty's Revenge
17-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Vancouver Canada.

I took possession of a recently imported Legnum VR4 about a month ago.... it is generally in quite good shape with a couple of issues I am trying to address and since my mechanic here has never seen one of these cars (they are exceptionally rare in North America), I am trying to gather as much info as possible to make their job easier and keep the number of labor hours down to a minimum.

Is there a guide to the 100k/major service? I ordered all the parts (timing belt and other belts, tensioners, pulleys, water pump) from ralliart New Zealand and i also ordered a new 100amp alternator (MD336781... its a warm spec car and the 120amp alternator is unobtainable here) up from the US because mine was not charging the battery correctly, (battery is being replaced too) I have found the alternator removal guide and that looks simple enough.

So I guess what I need is some info, step by step (if such a thing exists) of how they change out all the pulleys, tensioners, timing belt, water pump... all that, stuff... ive had a look around the resource library but cant find exactly what im looking for.

Before anyone asks, I am leaving the spark plugs alone for the moment until i get the requisite gasket sets sent here. I have already had the auto trans fluid and transfer case fluid and coolant and the engine oil flushed and changed, the AYC diff/speed gear and clutch packs are up next, that is another story.

Another option, one of the younger techs at the shop I deal with is a Kiwi, he was planning to call a few shops back home and ask around about the procedure... is there a particularly good shop in NZ that people trust to work on their legnums? anyone friendly down that way I should steer him to for a brief chat?

Thanks everyone for any info in advance.

Trev search is your friend dude, there is plenty of info within the club to answer most of your queries & as you are a paid up member you will have access to all this.

Nick Mann
17-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Sometimes stuff can be difficult to find. I knew this existed and I still had trouble finding it!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?28501

upshotbravo
17-01-2014, 06:49 PM
That's exactly what I was hoping to find! Thanks!

Z-Kev
17-01-2014, 09:29 PM
this is a bosche alternative to 120amp alternators Pt No 0986045591

upshotbravo
17-01-2014, 11:02 PM
this is a bosche alternative to 120amp alternators Pt No 0986045591

OK, well, ive got a 100amp alternator i found in the US for $152 coming my way already... but let me see what, if anything i can find for that part number.