PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Upgrade V6 Estate

Gatchaman
21-01-2014, 01:16 AM
At Christmas took the estate up to Milton Keynes for a family meat and eat.
Coming from Southampton that has practically none to roundabout city, made me realise the car is handling like a whale.
Now has 80k on her, and all that rolling and wobbling made one of the girls honk up in the back - nice :(

Anyone have experience of Bilstein B6 or B8 shocks, I don't know what the difference is, pricewise there's not much in it.

Springwise, I have no idea, how does the self levelling enter into it, I'm not sure if I have it, I probably do.

I found these from H&R not sure if they will do?

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/hr-mitsubishi-galant-estate-self-levelling-039701-va35mm-lowering-springs.html

Any recommendations on the springs front?

adibobbin
03-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi! I have the V6 saloon which I'm pretty sure has the same suspension system as the estate, (different from VR4) and changed to Koni adjustable shocks and Apex springs (40mm lower) about two years ago, it totally transformed the way the car feels!

Gets rid of all the body roll that I used to experience which felt very unstable and unpredictable.

It's had a few set up tweaks since the shock and spring install, stiffened the rear shocks, softened the front shocks, adding about 1 degree of negative front camber and about half a degree of front toe out. It now feels extremely well balanced!

If this will help the travel sickness, who knows, but it's worth a go :upsidedow

Hope this helps!

elnevio
04-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Self-levelling was apparently very rare, I still haven't seen it in person!

Also, another great help to the handling is to install a VR-4 front strut brace. :thumbsup:

Scanny
11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
i had coilovers from a 1997 VR4 on my 2001 V6 estate. the springs and shocks are a straight fit if you do not have self levelling suspension

Scanny
11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Self-levelling was apparently very rare, I still haven't seen it in person!

Also, another great help to the handling is to install a VR-4 front strut brace. :thumbsup:

front strut brace makes a huge difference, especially in the wet. the V6 slides like hell in the wet as standard but a front strut brace really does sort that right out. a rear one makes a difference too on the estate

Atik
11-04-2014, 03:04 PM
If you are interested, I have a set of front AND rear braces for sale.
Stock VR4 front and Cusco rear brace. Transforms the handling immensely.

adibobbin
12-04-2014, 10:01 AM
If Gatchaman isn't interested I wouldn't mind getting a price for the strut braces!

Has anyone done anti roll bar upgrades, and is it worth it?

Gatchaman
12-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Great thanks, how much do you want for the braces?

Scanny
25-04-2014, 04:05 PM
i have a spare front strut brace

Gatchaman
28-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Pretty certain it has self levelling as the size of the rear shock is considerably fatter.

elnevio
28-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Please post a picture - just want to see what it looks like!!

Those springs you posted do indeed look suitable then. Not entirely sure how the self-levelling works - it may use feedback from the springs, at a guess, so with lowering springs, I imagine that the suspension will try to keep the rear height at the 35mm-lower height.

adaxo
28-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Please post a picture - just want to see what it looks like!!

Those springs you posted do indeed look suitable then. Not entirely sure how the self-levelling works - it may use feedback from the springs, at a guess, so with lowering springs, I imagine that the suspension will try to keep the rear height at the 35mm-lower height.

There is one http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?43616-Self-levelling-suspension&p=477272&viewfull=1#post477272

Ive got set of levelling spring for self levelling type suspension in Galant estate for sale, let me know if you interested, rear springs are new (newer used) and front are in very good nick, they lower the car about 30-40 mm.

elnevio
28-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Oh yes, it seems that I stood corrected in that thread about the rarity of the self-levelling suspension! /dunce