PDA

View Full Version : Good Price yeh or nah

GalantLover
25-01-2014, 04:45 AM
Hi

I viewed a galant im looking at buying but the mechanical check came back not too good. i just wanna know what u think.
galant vr4 1996 sedan
cambelt needs replacing, window wipers are torn, brake fluid needs replacing, anti freeze is leaking
engine oil is leaking around turbo, seepage around sump gasket? (cant read the mechanics handwriting i think thats what it says)
headlining is dirty, clock on dash dont work. the roof inner sags a little. needs new coolant

car drove nice and smooth gear changes seemed good. few dings and scratces (which is fine from age etc)

so in NZD they want $3200.00 so with all the repairs needed the car will cost me mayb over 4,000 im not sure if its worth it
maybe because of work needed (mainly cambelt) and leak problems i could give a lower offer?

any ideas, i love the car im keen on it just think with work needed to it maybe they asking too much, what are your thoughts on this?
i suck at cars so work be done at workshop so labour costs etc also
Thanks for ya help

nos monkeys
25-01-2014, 05:33 AM
not worth 3200 if it needs a cambelt imo, that alone is $1200 unless you do it yourself for $400-$500. clock on dash they always break its a simple fix. roof lining wouldnt bother me. the anti freeze leaking could be something bad it should only leak at either of the radiator hoses (split or not done up tight enough) unless the radiator itself is stuffed. otherwise it's probably the waterpump ( which gets replaced when doing cambelt) leaking oil around the turbo could be a few things ( I think a common problem is the banjo bolt thingy which bolts into the turbo leaks, if thats the case its not to much of a problem) sump gasket isn't that hard to replace id just be worried about undoing the 2 turbo dumppipe bolts (mine are rusty as and might snap when trying to undo) other than that its straight forward fix providing its just the gasket. but it could be leaking oil down from anywhere.

But thats just my opinion and i don't know all that much about vr4s yet as iv only had my vr4 legnum for a short time. but for 4-5grand you probably could pick up a really nice one that doesn't have problems and has the cambelt fix. so paying 3200 for something that would need 1500-2500 of repairs might not be the best. unless the body is tidy and it has very very low kms. then at least that way it will have everything fixed. most cars you buy always have some small minor things that could be fixed. some worse than others

nos monkeys
25-01-2014, 05:34 AM
if it's on trademe throw up the link on here and someone will probably have better info than me lol