PDA

View Full Version : How do "you" get moving up a hill (manual)

Tayhlor VR4
25-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Hey guys just wanting to get your own opinions on stop and go traffic on an incline . Personally I don't really like to use the handbrake because it just involves so much more movement and can get annoying having to release the handbrake at least 3-6 times on one hill

Nick Mann
25-01-2014, 11:00 AM
It depends on the hill and the length of time stopped. I'm not a fan of holding the car on the foot brake due to disc warp and irritating the driver behind. The VR4 has 7 brake light bulbs! If possible I will drive as slow as possible without slipping the clutch and see if I can avoid stopping. I will use the foot brake for a few seconds and then it is the handbrake.

Gingerfish
25-01-2014, 11:11 AM
You wouldn't pass a British driving test without using the handbrake on a hill start.

Depending on the incline, the handbrake is the safest and easiest option.

Agree with Nick about the brake lights. Not really necessary to annoy other road users with constant bright red lights.
I get annoyed with people leaving their fog lights on round town in 20/30 mph limits with only 'light' fog.

Tayhlor VR4
25-01-2014, 11:11 AM
It depends on the hill and the length of time stopped. I'm not a fan of holding the car on the foot brake due to disc warp and irritating the driver behind. The VR4 has 7 brake light bulbs! If possible I will drive as slow as possible without slipping the clutch and see if I can avoid stopping. I will use the foot brake for a few seconds and then it is the handbrake.
Thanks nick I'm still new to manual so I'm always thinking of other people's ways of driving stick

97vr4
25-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Hand brake.all the way. Pull it and hold it until you release the clutch a touch and feel the pressure of the driveshafts wanting to move but being held by the hand brake. high horsepower drag cars well slip the clutch a little and hold the hand brake on a hard lunch to prevent the drive shafts from damage. O it eliminates the slack between the transfer of power. Going up a hill just hold the car on the handbrake so you feel you have enough throttle and clutch release then let it go and you will be fine

Davezj
25-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I would use the hand brake in an auto as well.
when i get to a stop situation, if i know it is going to be longer than a couple of seconds, i put the handbrake on and put the gearbox into neutral.

AKKO
25-01-2014, 05:03 PM
As above deffinately hand brake to avoid 'hot spots' on your discs and warping.

Nick Mann
25-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Dave, the "shunt" in and out of drive in the auto is supposed to be worse than leaving it in drive for a short period. Not saying what's best, just letting you know that is considered better by some.

Davezj
26-01-2014, 01:06 PM
yes i have heard this as well.
but i have seen the llooks i get from behind when the brake lights are on particularly in darkness, so i try and limit the amount of time i am on the brakes holding the car at a stop.
i am like you and i try an come to stop only if i have to, i would much prefer to do a contiuose slow glid than do a stop start stop start.
the only time i usually find i have to knock it in to N is at traffic lights.
but thanks for the heads up.

WOODY72
26-01-2014, 03:43 PM
I always go from neutral to drive in traffic/lights or whatever without my foot on the brake so the drivetrain is free to move thus eliminating the "clonk" as much as possible!

Atik
26-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Depends on the length of the stop and the car Im driving. The MR2 with is super soft clutch I'll just hold at bite. The VR4 with the heavier clutch, I'll go for the handbrake. Most other times, I tend not to come to a complete stop and keep the car rolling enough to not apply any brakes.

Chris.W
27-01-2014, 02:19 AM
I prefer to leave a larger gap between me and the car infront and just crawl along. If I realy have to stop then it is defo handbreak for me. With the twin plate competition clutch mine doesn't like pulling away in first. It is esentially on or off :)

Nevets
27-01-2014, 02:23 AM
as others have said.

I hold it in first when coming up to a line of stationary traffic sometimes pretty much on tick over, then roll the few/10/15 yards, perhaps even more, if i know the lights not will be a long time to keep moving so i don't have to use a clutch (probably a biker trait as I have ridden bikes for 5 years more than cars and its easier t roll up to lights then throttle on than stop)

but if I have to stop for more that a second or two, then i stick the hanbrake on, then give it a tiny bit of throttle, then fit the clutch till I can tell the car wants to pull forward (certain cars front lifts ever so slightly or its revs slow a little bit, then let off the handbrake then lift clutch, give a bit more revs and go.

SEAN-NZ
06-02-2014, 02:01 AM
depends on the incline and whats behind me, usually just slip the clutch a bit with other foot on brake so car doesnt roll back between taking foot off brake and giving it gas, although on bigger inclines il use handbrake a bit