PDA

View Full Version : gear box

dinger1983
25-01-2014, 11:26 AM
hi can any one tell me the going rate for a gearbox these days oh and amsoil atf if this is still the best oil to run on and possibly best place to find both

think 3 years is to long to have been away

horndog
25-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I paid £500 for a FL Auto Gearbox last year from ebay, it was the only one I could find that was a straight swap,
Ive not heard of anything being recommended over amsoil, and i always found Don @ performance oils to be excellent service (he is still a sponsor on here)

dinger1983
25-01-2014, 12:57 PM
cheers bud

Nick Mann
25-01-2014, 03:16 PM
In the last three years we have discovered there is a difference between VR4s age wise regarding auto boxes. You should always try and replace the box like for like - eg if the car is a prefacelift with traction control and the gearbox is a OWC (One Way Clutch) and has an external filter, then that is the gearbox you should try to buy. Matching the ECU if you can;t get the right box is the next preferred option, but even that doesn't always work. If it isn't right then gear changes can be clunky/jerky or sometimes not work at all.

dinger1983
25-01-2014, 07:15 PM
In the last three years we have discovered there is a difference between VR4s age wise regarding auto boxes. You should always try and replace the box like for like - eg if the car is a prefacelift with traction control and the gearbox is a OWC (One Way Clutch) and has an external filter, then that is the gearbox you should try to buy. Matching the ECU if you can;t get the right box is the next preferred option, but even that doesn't always work. If it isn't right then gear changes can be clunky/jerky or sometimes not work at all.

and thats why we have forum so helpful ppl can pass on good upto date info. this is a refeshinge chang from some places

was shot down few weeks ago on a forum because i said removal stripping down and rebuilding an rx8 rotary engine was a pile of piss apparently even though i am an engineer who fixes compressors genorators, road pavers , rollers , drill machines every day and the fact i actual had the engine out my rx8 and stripped down wasnt enought to convice some ppl the rotary engine is some kind of black magic lol

Gingerfish
26-01-2014, 12:24 PM
hi can any one tell me the going rate for a gearbox and possibly best place to find both

Is this any good to you chap? http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?70594-PFL-Autobox-matching-ECU&p=773382#post773382