PDA

View Full Version : changing from a 2.0 to a VR4

Nevets
27-01-2014, 12:15 AM
so, having owned my 2 litre for a little while, i love it, but would love some more power.

don't really see tuning it as a good return, so will stick with it for a year or two to build up more NCD other wise it would be stupid amount on insurance.

so my main question is whats it like going from a 2 lite, to a 2.5 V6 turbo?

I'm used to fast motorbikes ridden fast, so the car seems quite slow compared to my bike, but then again, most cars will seem slow unless its got 400+ bhp due to the power to weight ratio.

i know there are not many VR4's out there, but what are they like on reliability? as looking for parts for my 2 litre is getting a bit hard unless i want to get them from mitsi themselves then they are not cheap like any main dealer.

Chris.W
27-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Obviously the biggest thing will be fuel ecconomy, be prepared for around 27 mpg on the cruise and less round town.

Mainly tho, would say it depends on if it highly moded or stock. The cars a prety strong and as far as I know don't have any major issues, but then also depends on what age car you get (face lift or pre-facelift) bearing in mind both of mine are PFL on a P reg so are 17 years old. In my own experiance of ownership, I have not had any problems that with reliability.

Well that's not strictly true, one of them blew the rear diff the day I bought it, but a replacement was easy enough to come by the the club. It's like any performance car realy, as long as it is looked after, serviced regularly (my moded galant gets every 4k, my stock legnum every 8k)with decent fluids and you dont raz the arse of it all day every day they should last forever (almost).

As for parts, there is always someone on here breaking a car or upgrading and selling the old parts. Camskil is a comon place for folk to get parts and I believe you can get a club discount. With Opie oils offering good deals on oils and fluids.

All of the above is not discounting that there are the odd duff car out there, usualy owned by non club members that are not in the best of nicks and could prove to be troublesome down the road. Whilst looking for my first one I came across a couple of seriously dubious cars before I was put on to this one by a club member. It would appeare that many cars change hands between club members so history for them is well known and easily found out.

Hope this helps and i'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly to elaborate or poke holes in what i've said :)