PDA

View Full Version : the purfect VR4 gauges

dickytim
10-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I have found some gauges that would look really good in a VR4

Any one have any opinions ?

slider
10-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I agree those gauges would look fantastic in a vr4 how much and where from?

valmes
10-02-2005, 11:46 AM
they might look ok... but second one is useless...

dickytim
10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
they are from ebay $135USD delivered to NZ.
Valmes please explain ?

AllBeItMine
10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
hehe - second one looks like it comes pre-tuned to suit my car!

Kieran
10-02-2005, 08:13 PM
they are from ebay $135USD delivered to NZ.
Valmes please explain ?

I think it's because a lean/rich gauge such as that relies on engine vaccum. On a N/A car, Vaccum drops as revs/trottle opening rises in a progressive fashion - the gauge just shows this as a 'Most likely' indication of the air/fuel ratio.

On a Turbocharged car, the manifold/plenum gets pressurised by the turbos, so as soon as boost comes on, the gauge will simply flick round to maximum and thereby give false readings.

An EGT gauge for each bank would give a better indication of Fuel Ratio if you needed it.

Kenneth
10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I think it's because a lean/rich gauge such as that relies on engine vaccum. On a N/A car, Vaccum drops as revs/trottle opening rises in a progressive fashion - the gauge just shows this as a 'Most likely' indication of the air/fuel ratio.

On a Turbocharged car, the manifold/plenum gets pressurised by the turbos, so as soon as boost comes on, the gauge will simply flick round to maximum and thereby give false readings.

An EGT gauge for each bank would give a better indication of Fuel Ratio if you needed it.

I think you are thinking about a vacumme gauge, which are often used to tell the driver if they are using lots of fuel.

The lean/rich gauge should be run off the oxygen (O2) sensor.
the standard O2 sensors are very accurate around 14.7:1 AFR, which is ideal for NA cars.

Standard O2 sensors become inaccurate when looking at the AFRs that the VR-4 runs on when at WOT, which is when this type of guage is at its most useful.

It would be sufficient to see a dramatic rise in AFR, or fluctuations at WOT but thats about it.

Still, I wouldnt write it off as useless. At the present time I have a multimeter hooked up to my O2 sensor which tells me the same thing as that guage.

You can make your own AFR gauge for sweet bugger all..
click here (http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html)

Kenneth
10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
To reply to the original post however...

dickytim, I have seen those gauges around before (trademe) and was very interested.
I think they would look great in the VR-4.

dickytim
11-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Yeah, well the gauges will have to be put on hold for a while, I got bad news from Ralliart re my cars condition,

1/ 2 Buggered shocks (and wouldn't you know it FR & RL, so all 4 needed)
$704.22 at the cheapest for Munroe Reflex

2/ 100,000km spark plugs need replacing (at 70,000km)
$250-300 to have fitted

3/ ****ed rear diff
$1650 for the diff plus labour. This one will only cost me $250 plus oils and additives as I have a warranty, the shocks can be done under warranty but will only do the stuffed ones so will be cheaper to get them done at the Shock Shop.

So including the service I have just had done the cost

Service : $342
Spark plugs : $250 (with some luck)
Shocks : $704.22 (inc wheel alignment and fitting)
Rear Diff : $400 (ish)
---------
$1696.22

****ing VR4, atleast I am getting my monies worth from Auto sure.

dickytim
11-02-2005, 05:50 AM
on the plus side they did get rid of the Tap tap tap....