PDA

View Full Version : possible manual gearbox humming or transfercase???

rajvr497
04-02-2014, 10:00 PM
hi guys i am faced with a humming noice coming from the left front of my vr4,i checked the two wheel bearings(turning it with my hand with the rotors and calipers off)both good,took out the inner wheel arch,drove the car and i am still getting the same howling,humming noice after about 80km/h on the highway,the strange thing is while driving on the highway and i instantly backoff the noice will dissappear after i press again the noice will return,anyone ever had this issue your help will greatly be apreciated thanks........

SLX
04-02-2014, 11:00 PM
cv joint I would say.

Nick Mann
04-02-2014, 11:07 PM
If it is a bass thrumming noise then it could be the transfer box. Drop the oils in the gearbox and transfer box - if there is a bearing disintegrating then the oil should show the problem up.

rajvr497
05-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Drained both oils and they are both clean just some minor filings in the magnet, assuming it's the cv joint, how can i check it, will it be visible????

rajvr497
08-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Here is a video of the humming noice i am getting. Please listen to it. The noice is clear from about 30secs in the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvoWhuTynZ8