PDA

View Full Version : A few things I noticed whilst relooming my TPS sensor and afterwards

Z-Kev
06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
This post is my view on the looming of the VR4 engine loom and its routing and condition from a recent reloom of my TPS sensor in a effort to eradicate a rogue intermittent missfire I was experiencing , as a aircraft engineer maybe I am being a bit harsh but its what I thought at the time.

1, Plastic loom wrap was in bad condition
2, Looming clips need to be replaced with softer rubberised clips
3, After unwrapping the complete loom the wire condition was ok but starting to become brittle from heat, also some wiring kinks had slipped into the loom on a few wires making wire breakdown and heat resistance issues a possibility.
4, The common earth for the TPS is **** as standard from factory, it goes from a large gauge wire to multiple thinner gauges which are wrapped all in one bundle, this area was definitely showing evidence of localised heat build up which
had affected surrounding wires.
5, Routing of loom could be better.

My issues with these were sorted out by removing the kinks ,I also unbundled the common earth and seperately wrapped the wires, at a later date I will increase the capability of these wires to a common 25 amp line ( 2mm ).

I loomed the TPS sensor seperately to the firewall and left extra cable loops in it in case i needed to pull it through to the ecu if the bay reloom didnt stop the issue, I also used rubber P clips to secure the loom to run it without any pulls which seemed to have happened on the standard fit.

After doing this and a ECU reset I noticed a few things, the first being that my gearbox relearn went a hell of a lot smoother and only took 40 or so miles until it was almost fully redone, previously it took up to 100 miles, secondly a rough area of the rpm range ( 2000rpm to 3000 ) had smoothed out significantly and throttle response from v light throttle has smoothed noticeably as well.

If anyone is suffering slight missfire issues its worth a look.

exevoowner
06-02-2014, 09:02 PM
one thing springs to mind the age of the car is showing i must admit that when i changed my rocker cover seals i had issues with the covering been brittle