PDA

View Full Version : Rumble in 5th at low revs?

marsh
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Recent transmision flush in November, but I've now got the dreaded rumble in 5th gear. Car seems a bit skitty and noisy from the back as well.

Any ideas?, I've had most things changed on the car, bar the ayc fluid.

Getting concerned that I've bought a very fast but expensive dog. :huh:

Kieran
10-02-2005, 08:59 PM
...Any ideas?, I've had most things changed on the car, bar the ayc fluid...

I think you have answered your own question there, my friend! The diff & clutch packs will start to grumble when the fluid gets a bit cacky. Check it to see what colour it is (filler in the boot) and change it if it looks tired. I believe it looks like fresh ATF when all is well, and degrades in a similar fashion to a yucky brown colour.

marsh
10-02-2005, 09:09 PM
I think you have answered your own question there, my friend! The diff & clutch packs will start to grumble when the fluid gets a bit cacky. Check it to see what colour it is (filler in the boot) and change it if it looks tired. I believe it looks like fresh ATF when all is well, and degrades in a similar fashion to a yucky brown colour.

You sir have restored my faith in the car. Is this an expensive task to take care of?.

Could I even do it myself? :rolleyes4

marsh
10-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Hmmm...............found the sump, but the color of the fluid is much the same as the color of the fluid in the gearbox.

Back to the drawing board. :huh:

Nick Mann
10-02-2005, 10:03 PM
There are three fluids in the AYC.

1. The hydraulic fluid where the filler is found in the boot. This is ATF fluid.
2. The clutch fluid in the rear diff. You have to get under the car to investigate! This is also ATF fluid.
3. The diff gear oil. Also under the car. This is a gear oil - GL5.

If you look in the members section, then articles, Wirdy has written a very worthy Haynes chapter on it! (Plus t/f box and gearbox oils.)

It should be noted that the hydraulic part of the system in mine did not need changing. The other two parts did! Which one of the above have you checked?

marsh
10-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Only checked the one in the boot. I did see the article and thought to myself that somebody mentioned three different fluids.

Armed with that info I shal now seek some expert advice as I have neither the time or inclination to start messing with my wheels.

Nick Mann
10-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Armed with that info I shal now seek some expert advice as I have neither the time or inclination to start messing with my wheels.

Heh! No need for wheel changing! Just need to get the car high enough to crawl underneath!

It is awkward to replace those fluids, though, as there is not much space around the fill holes to get the oil in. I didn't have the syringe that Nigel had, so it took me a long time and much cursing to get the oils back in after draining them!

marsh
10-02-2005, 10:30 PM
You're trying to tempt me into breaking it aren't you?!?!

I have syringes with extensions on and all sorts so it wouldn't be much bother.

I just can't be bothered :sunny:

Kenneth
10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
You're trying to tempt me into breaking it aren't you?!?!

I have syringes with extensions on and all sorts so it wouldn't be much bother.

I just can't be bothered :sunny:

hehe, sounds like you have a bit more money than motivation /lol

Nick Mann
10-02-2005, 10:38 PM
:P /yes

But obviously you can throw money at it if you want!

marsh
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I think it's the fact that I've got an evo 2 spare, just on the off chance the Legnum isn't working.

Life is hard.

I do like to get my hands dirty, but usually only when females and 2 stroke engines are involved.

Not at the same time, natch :beatnik2: