PDA

View Full Version : Want to borrow: UK Spec Wheels & Tyres

Kieran
10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Chaps,

Has anyone got a set of Standard 15" V6-24 Alloys with road legal tyres I can borrow, please? I'm in no urgent need for them and would probably only need a day with them to test out a theory on traction.

Hope someone can help!

K

Nick Mann
10-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Saw some on ebay for £40 ish a couple of weeks ago. Think ther may be some 14" ones now?

I-S
11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Probably no help, but I have a set of GLS 14" with tyres that might be legal (although they have picked up a nail or two, but are holding air). You'd be welcome to give them a go, esp if you'd help me with ATF change... ;)

Big Ian
11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Chaps,

Has anyone got a set of Standard 15" V6-24 Alloys with road legal tyres I can borrow, please? I'm in no urgent need for them and would probably only need a day with them to test out a theory on traction.

Hope someone can help!

K

out of interest....what theory? tyre-grip=braking-ABS/accelaration/test beween size's of either tyre or wheel's??...go Kieran "TELL!"

shame too as i have a mint set of 14" with spankin Good Year tyre's on them :sad2:

Kieran
21-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Bump!!! :oops:

Surely someone must have a set of UK-Spec wheels that aren't doing owt? :huh2: I'll even take a set of 14" GLS rims if someone won't be needing them for a week or two - In fact, I don't even need a full set of four, just two will do! I can try one axle at a time!

What I'm after them for is so that I can test out what effect they have on ride quality and handling -There's so much conjecture on why the Sport models tend to make a mess of cornering that I thought it'd be interesting to see if it's springs, dampers, tyres, wheels or a combination!

Also, as I'm now going to be selling Hordak, having a spare set of wheels for a week or two will allow me to get the originals refurbished and ready for sale, as they're a bit Kerb-tastic at the moment! :oops:

Big Ian
21-02-2005, 07:11 AM
not sure if the sport has stiffer suspension but i'd think the sport wheel's should add to the handling,17" tyre's will use a smaller side wall so less tyre roll and normally they have more rubber on the road?
i know i had an "instand change" in ride quality when i changed from 14" to 17" wheel's,slightly harder feel on the bump's and a lot more corner power
(not to mention the fact that 14" alloy's look stupid on our car's /yes...far 2 small lookin! )

on what your saying about cornering,i'd think it's more to do with the standard suspension,maybe Mitsy though the UK buyer's would like an American feel to there Jap-built car :rolleyes4

ritch_w
21-02-2005, 08:40 AM
I would place my money on springs & shocks - the shocks are defo over damped, springs are the too soft

Kenneth
21-02-2005, 08:48 AM
when I got my Galant VRG 1.8 GDI I spent a chunk of cash on a suspension kit. Best money I ever spent. A couple of times I got into trouble and honest to god, having awsome suspension was the only thing that kept me from writing the car off! worst I got in the end was some minor curbing.

Best thing about it was that the suspension went straight into my VR-4! And seeing as the suspension was actually designed for the VR-4, it handles pretty well.

tyres are a bit crap, but the suspension keeps it pretty well stuck to the tarmac. and when it does slide, you hardly know it.

...i get carried away...

psbarham
21-02-2005, 08:50 AM
mines running 17" wheels -40mm springs and standard v6-24v shocks and is spot on ,the ride is good no tramlining and loads of grip as well

The Vee
21-02-2005, 09:24 AM
K,
Made the change from the wheels you mention (15") to 17" and found much improvement on handling. Have made the comparison you're looking at, coz I have put the old 15" back on for the winter including my last trip to combe. While the handling was still good it's not quite as crisp as with the lower profile 17". I would think then as mentioned earlier possibly it is your spring/shockers maybe worn. Have you also checked alignments etc. Also do those Mitsi 17's flex a little under hard cornering as they are known to be a little soft.

Kieran
21-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Guys...

Hear what you say - Especially andy, *BUT*... That's a V6-24, and Mitsubishi do quote different part nos for the shockers if you ask em.

I still need a set of alloys so that I can refurbish my Sport rims anyway - So can *anyone* help here? Thanks! :2thumbsup

Big Ian
21-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Guys...
I still need a set of alloys so that I can refurbish my Sport rims anyway - So can *anyone* help here? Thanks! :2thumbsup

Kieran,
next time your passing my house,pop in and you can borrow my standard 14" :rolleyes4 No Problem mate :2thumbsup

I-S
21-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Or mine mate... exactly the reason I bought them (£27) was to get the existing ones refurbed.

Kieran
21-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Yipee! :2thumbsup

Thanks guys... I think I will be in Issac's area before Ian's, so if/when I'll be around, I'll drop a PM to the relevant party :)