PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette lighter wiring

xp67
16-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Quick question for you all :)

Is the cigarette lighter power switched or constant on? If it's switched, is it on Accessory or Ignition?

Is the light for the cigarette lighter part of the dash lighting (i.e. comes on with the side lights, and is dimmable from the dimmer by the steering wheel)

Ideally I'd like the cigarette lighter to be on Ignition switched and the lamp to be constant 12v on, only when the sidelights are on. But that's wishful thinking!

Oh, and if anyone wants to sell me a cigarette lighter unit (with a lamp and some wire ends), send me a PM :)

Nick Mann
16-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Pretty sure it is dimmed. Pretty sure it is switched with the accessory circuit. I can check both of these statements, but I guess you can too?!

exevoowner
16-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Yes its switched with acc and lighted with side lights and dimmable think if you wanted it constant its just a case of changing it with the radio memory

xp67
16-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Cheers guys. The Legnum is in pieces right now - I'm sorting out the mess of wiring from various aftermarket installs (side note - why are there no grommets into the engine bay that are even remotely accessible!!). I really should have checked the cigarette lighter wiring before taking it apart as I knew I'd need to use it as a switched source.

If anyone is able to check and confirm, that would be a great help!!

Nick Mann
16-02-2014, 11:33 PM
I'll try and check tomorrow. Send me a text or something to remind me if I haven't posted up by mid afternoon!

Nick Mann
18-02-2014, 02:25 PM
To confirm, my assumptions in post 2 are both correct.

The cigarette lighter socket is switched with the accessory circuit and the light illuminating it is dimmed by the dash dimmer.

xp67
18-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Many thanks! I was able to finish my wiring and get the car back up and running.

I also found out that the illumination line for the stereo is fixed at 12v when the side lights are on (with the key in any position), which good for items which only need a trigger.

exevoowner
18-02-2014, 08:49 PM
if you still need the bits you said in post 1 i have them here along with some wire with connectors

GalantOnly
18-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I also found out that the illumination line for the stereo is fixed at 12v when the side lights are on (with the key in any position), which good for items which only need a trigger.

All illumination lines are fixed 12V /yes
It's the same 12V tail lamp relay signal, that routed to the stereo and to the cigarette lighter lamp. The difference is grounding. The dimmed lamp ground wires goes throught the rheostat, but non-dimmed are connected directly to the chassis.

If you want to make the cigarette lighter illumination to be "constant", just cut the black/yellow wire from the lamp connector and splice it with the black wire from the cigarette lighter itself...

xp67
18-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Good to know that it's done by moving the voltage on the ground rather than on the positive side. Oh well, my wiring is all done now :)