PDA

View Full Version : removing bearings form the hub?

Davezj
25-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Ok guys, i now have a hydraulic press and i can press the bearing off the hub with no problem, but it leaves half the inner bearing race still on the hub.

i supported the back flage of the bearing (the bit with the threaded holes in) and press the hub out, but this is where the bearing separates. how do you get the remaining bit off.
is it possible to grind it off, i know it is ultra hard bearing steel, but it might work.
i have tried to heat the bearing bit with a blow torch, and use some pry bars to try and remove the bit of bearing. but no joy.
i also tried putting the whole asseble in the oven at 250 deg C and then pry the bearing bit off, but no joy either.

may be the only way i can bet this part of the bearing off now is to try and grind it off, without damaging the hub itself, it will be difficult.

i don't know if there is any whay to support the bearing from underneith to get a bit ,ore purchase on it to stop it coming apart in two pieces.

any help thought are most welcome.

this is what i am left with after the rest of the bearing has been pressed off.
rear

Front

peter thomson
25-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I use a 3 leg puller but you need to make sure it fits between bearing and hub

Davezj
25-02-2014, 02:19 PM
yes i have 3 leg pullers, the rear bearing maybe you could get one on there, but the front don'r seem to have the room to do it, and the rear only just fitting.

i will see if i can dig out my pullers but there is not really anything to get the legs on to as the thin dust cover bit that sits on the inside of the bearing and sticks out just seems to pull off and leaves the inner bearing in place.
the rear bearing one has already pulled off but the front one is still inplace, you can just about see this in the pics.

off i go to to find a puller

Anderz
25-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Same happened to me last time. Ended up carefully cutting it almost trough with a small compressed air grinder. Got it off with a bit of force after that
They can be as welded so a 3 leg puller may not be enough if you don't heat the the inner race and then immediately freeze the hub axle with cold spray, that usually does the trick

MarkSanne
25-02-2014, 02:34 PM
THis is what I have done previously on bearing-remains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDrioMDe1k

c0xxy
25-02-2014, 03:00 PM

2nd this, i used a 115mm grinder with out damaging the flange. managed to break an ebay special 3 leg puller prior to trying this

Davezj
25-02-2014, 06:10 PM

the 3 leg puller did not budge the bearing race so i think i will try this method of removing the race. it is a good one.

i will try this tomorrow. maybe not tomorrow as i am going LPG.
so this will take a few days to install and setup.

scott.mohekey
25-02-2014, 07:22 PM
You want one of these: http://www.enerpac.com/en/industrial-tools/mechanical-hydraulic-pullers/bhp-series-bearing-puller

They come in different sizes.

menno3x8g
25-02-2014, 08:35 PM
I use a dremel with heavy duty cut-off wheels. Its smaller than a grinder, and gives a smaller cut. It cuts the inner scale in a few minutes.
You dont need to cut through. With a chisel you can make the final split.

Davezj
25-02-2014, 11:48 PM
You want one of these: http://www.enerpac.com/en/industrial-tools/mechanical-hydraulic-pullers/bhp-series-bearing-puller

They come in different sizes.

i have one of those somewhere, but never used it so forgot i had it. Not quite sure where it is at the moment.
I will have to dig it out and give it a go before i go down the grind/cut it off , and see what happens.

scott.mohekey
25-02-2014, 11:53 PM
If you use the correct size for the bearing, it makes it a LOT easier than messing around with grinders etc.

Davezj
25-02-2014, 11:57 PM
i would just like to thanks to all that have contributed to this thread so far you have given me some brilliant solution to the issue i was have. i will be dishing out Rep to all as each and every suggestion has it's own merit and can be used to solve the problem
thanks to all
dave

Subaru ETA
26-02-2014, 01:18 AM
From experience, best way is to grind it with the bench grinder until 1 spot is nearly flat and then break it with hammer and chisel.
Alternatively, grinder with a cutting disk. Cut a couple of slits the smash it with a hammer and chisel

Davezj
27-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I use a dremel with heavy duty cut-off wheels. Its smaller than a grinder, and gives a smaller cut. It cuts the inner scale in a few minutes.
You dont need to cut through. With a chisel you can make the final split.

well i could not find my bearing separater, i have one somewhere, but i am not sure where somewhere is at the moment.

so i went with your suggestion and used the heavy duty cut off disk on my dremel it work really well, i never thought it would be powerful enough to cut through the bearing race but it did and very quickly. i think it is to do with the fact the disk is so thin it slices though like a cold knife through hard butter. then a couple of whacks with a chisel and hammer, job is a good'un.

Thanks again for everybodies help, you are all stars.