PDA

View Full Version : Vr4 power in nz

GOFASTVR4
09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
8just bought me a vr4 last week always been a massive fan of the motor an car shape of all gens
i have a 8g legnum vr4 i want some ideas on what i should put on my list for stage 1 upgrades so far all i have done is had the ecu flashtuned atm its bumping 300hp speed cut taken out rev limit is 7600 but i want to do

*Front mount intercooler
*free flow 3' cat back exhaust system
*daul stage boost tap
*oil catch can
*upgrade fuel pump
*fuel pressure regulator
*transmission oil cooler as i have a tip
*new lifters
*dont know about injectors yet though i think ill save that when i get a single turbo conversion

ideas?? please an thankyou

horndog
09-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Youve got most of the mods people usually go for (+ freeflow pannel in standard filter box)
A good service usually gets a couple of BHP back as well

Dont forget the traction side of things, good tyres, decent brakes and suspension

Adam.Findlay
10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
*Front mount intercooler
*free flow 3' cat back exhaust system
*dual stage boost tap
*oil catch can
*upgrade fuel pump
*fuel pressure regulator
*transmission oil cooler as i have a tip
*new lifters
*dont know about injectors yet though i think ill save that when i get a single turbo conversion

ideas?? please an thankyou

-bigger front mount intercooler is defiantly needed as the stock one is pretty rubbish

-a good free flowing exhaust INCLUDING the front pipes is key (I am selling my catback if you are interested)

-boost controllers are a waste of time as you can control the boost via the stock ecu by re flashing it, but replacing the stock boost control solenoid with a 3 port aftermarket item is very beneficial when trying to get a smooth boost curve

-Catch can is a bit of a waste of time but if you get one cheap enough its worth while.

-Lifters are not necessary, cleaning the stock ones and running good oil such as amsoil or mobil 1 means they will be silent, although the 3rd gen lifters are pretty cheap these days

-If you have a tiptronic a trans cooler would be #1 on my list of things to do

-Stock injectors are fine for the stock turbos. you will be doing bloody well to exceed the stock injectors flow without upgrading the turbos. you will however need to upgrade the fuel pump if you wish to get the most out of the stock injectors.

when it comes to getting power after you have done the list above, upgrading the turbo(s) will give you the best gains. as the stock ones are pretty pathetic. but a cam regrind can give you some good gains also and is cheaper than changing the turbos.

Tam
10-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi Adam,

With what your saying about EBC's, confirming what Kenneth says, what 3 port solenoid would you recommend, i have seen some on Ebay for about £50. I was saving to get a Greddy Spec B but totally undecided, I was going to speak with Ben at Eurospec on our meet later on this month.

Jordan,

First mods i fitted was a K&N Panel filter, De-cat and free flowing exhaust(Cat back) and the difference was significant. The car is easier to get going and felt like it had more grunt, mines a manual.
I am now in the process of fitting swinks FMIC and i have his 7202 ECU that is getting a map thrown on it at our open day. My next mods i am planning is the Walbro pump and either a EBC or 3 port solenoid. I also have a SARD FPR but thats going to wait till i get the pump.
With the lifters i removed all mine and i clean them with terpentine but mine were not that noisy i just did it when i had to change my engine.

Cheers
Marc