PDA

View Full Version : ecu scan software/tool

nos monkeys
17-03-2014, 04:18 AM
Hey, I'm just looking for some help and opinions on some ecu reading software. I have a problem with my vr4 but since it only happens sometimes its hard to diagnose. I'm still have way through my list of things to check but though for future i might look into getting ecu software anyway.

its a 1997 vr4 manual. i take it that its obd2, would this here work http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-705446876.htm I'll want to get some software on my laptop so when my car does play up i can plug my laptop in and go for a drive while its playing up hoping i can find the fault.

Now if that plug will work (I'm just looking for a cheap option so i dont want to spend hundreds on a plug and software.) is there any cheap or free softwares out there i can download which will display most the engine stuff, like a software that would tell me if a coil is breaking down or if its an injector failing or things like that while its plugged in.

I would be willing to spend a bit on software if it will also work on my nissan 300zx. what is evoscan software like will this find the fault im trying to find also will evoscan software work with a nissan 300zx ecu as well.

i am having a look on google to try find these answers as well but would be good if someone knows for a definite

Nick Mann
17-03-2014, 07:36 AM
The vr4 is not obd2 compliant. Evoscan is the best software for reading ecu parameters but there is no sensible way to read codes other than the flasy dash method. The codes that Evoscan shows are not reliable.

nos monkeys
17-03-2014, 07:58 AM
oh i see, thanks for that. think ill just stick to the flashy codes then lol

kiwigalant
17-03-2014, 08:06 AM
The vr4 is not obd2 compliant. Evoscan is the best software for reading ecu parameters but there is no sensible way to read codes other than the flasy dash method. The codes that Evoscan shows are not reliable.

Why is that, I thought it would show the same codes. My friend bought the ELM327 cable like nos monkeys found. I know on ozvr4 in the DIY datalogging cable thread everyone seems to have got VAG-COM cables that look different but the ELM327 auctions don't seem to mention that.

Nick Mann
17-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Why is what?
It's not obd2 compliant due to its age.
I can't explain why evoscan reports different error codes to the flashy dash but it certainly does.

Davezj
17-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Evoscan will log the ecu correctly it is just the error codes that are a bit dodgey, the codes don't cleare reliabley somethimes they do sometimes they don't, evo scan reports error code that are not stored in the flashy dashamd vice versa. i would always believe the flashy dash. so i don't bother using evscan for error code.
you buy evoscan for $25 so it is very cheap and for data logging only the VAGcom cable is fine and you get those for about £5 off ebay, it has to the cheapest datalogging package out there for any car.

however if you want to do anything other than logging data from the engine ecu then you will have to buy an Openport 2.0 cable which are about £120 from Tactrix.

nos monkeys
18-03-2014, 08:41 AM
will the cheap data logging cable and evoscan show up why my car is hesitating at about 4k rpm and being weird on me when driving? Thats the only real reason i was looking at getting it since i cant seem to find the fault as its so unpredictable im hoping if it has a real time monitoring i can see what is causing it, if it can be an injector failing spark failing fuel cut boost cut or god knows what else.

I really have no idea what it could be thats doing it and its really hard to explain and i really dont want to waste hundreds trying to get the mitsi dealership shop to look at it as they have already looked at it once and said everything is fine

I'm also a little confused with what cable to buy, on ebay the VAGcom cable says it works for all obd2 plugs and says the same as the cable in the link i posted which was told wouldnt work. I thought all cars 96+ were obd2 how come vr4s aren't ?

Nick Mann
18-03-2014, 08:52 AM
You would see fuel cut. You won't see boost levels though. It won't tell you if an injector is failing because the ecu won't know. It will only tell you the injector duty cycle, so what it wants the injector to do, not what it is actually doing. Evoscan tells you what all the sensors are reading and what the ecu is trying to do. If a control us malfunctioning where there is no sensor then you might not understand the problem from just Evoscan.

Nick Mann
18-03-2014, 08:54 AM
VR4s were designed just before the obd2 system was finalised. The socket is the right shape but the protocol is not a quite right. The vag cable will need modifying to work on the vr4.

nos monkeys
18-03-2014, 09:00 AM
hmm i think it might still be worth getting, it will at least eliminate any sensors failing. evoscan if i buy it will last forever i wont have to rebuy or anything? is there any cheap cords out there that will plug in and work or any idea how easy it will be to modify that cord to work?

Would it show up if my boost solenoid isnt working or playing up?

Davezj
18-03-2014, 10:27 AM
this topic of evoscan and VAGcom cables has been covered many times in other thread.
all the links to thread should be in this thread
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?67698-Basic-Introduction-to-ECUflash-rom-tuning-and-Evoscan-logging&highlight=basic+ecuflash
the first couple of vdeos going it how to read evoscan logs, and post 2 goes into the the links for evoscan and the cables.

firstly the best think you can do is fit a switch that makes the connection of shorting pin1 and pin 4 in the diagnostic connector, then anytime you want to check the error codes just flick the switch, very easy. if you do this then you do not have to modify the VAGcom cable to do basic dara logging.
if this is beyond you then stop now don't bother going any futher. you have to know what you are looking at and what you are expecting to see when logging evoscan other wise you are just looking at number and it will be meaningless to you. you have to know how the engine and control system works. you have to be willing learn, to put the time in to understand how evoscan works, and how to interpret the data.
evoscan will not log data, and amazingly just throw out a message and say X Y Z is not working on you car. fix this and everything will be perfect. it does not work like that with data logging software. they do they say in the tin and just log data. the fashy dash will tell you if there any error code stored. which is exactly what the obdII scan tools do for the compliant protacols.

i don't want to sound off with this info but you have to know you limitation and the limitation of the tools available.

nos monkeys
18-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for that, I dont really know to much about data logging and all that yet but i can learn anything by spending enough time reading around on the net so it wouldnt take me long to work the program and be on my way to find a problem or even just monitor my engine for the rest of its life, i have a piece of wire in my glove box now for when i want to read the error codes takes me like 30seconds to do i might put it onto a switch later on.

Davezj
18-03-2014, 11:44 PM
i posted in the wrong thread.

glad to hear you are not put off by my comments.
it will not take you long before you want to remap your own car and all you have to is watch the rest of the videos and you will have a mutch better idea of what to do and why.

nos monkeys
20-03-2014, 07:03 AM
which one of these cables is the right one. Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 USB Cable $237, EvoScan 1.3U Universal USB Datalogging and Reflashing Cable $137, EvoScan 1.3R USB Datalogging and Reflashing Cable $97,

Would be good to have the cable that can reflash my ecu so i can try reflashing it, but im not sure which cable to get. id like the cheapest but no idea on the differences in cables.

Also i think i read somewhere not all ecus can be reflashed? if so what numbers/case does my ecu need to be to be reflashable, although ill try search this answer now

Nick Mann
20-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Which year is your vr4? If newer than October 98 then it will most likely be reflashable. It needs to be a 7202 ir 7203 chipset. If you want to reflash it then you need the openport 2.0.

nos monkeys
20-03-2014, 07:38 AM
its a 97 im taking my ecu out now to check, but so far its a metal case and probably not flash able =[

would this cable here work just for data logging, its the cheapest one http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables/details/13/1/performance-vehicle-pc-diagnostic-interfaces/evoscan-13d-usb-obdii/mutiii/ssmii-datalogging-cable

Davezj
20-03-2014, 09:58 AM
its a 97 im taking my ecu out now to check, but so far its a metal case and probably not flash able =[

would this cable here work just for data logging, its the cheapest one http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables/details/13/1/performance-vehicle-pc-diagnostic-interfaces/evoscan-13d-usb-obdii/mutiii/ssmii-datalogging-cable

you have 2 choices,
1. cheap VAGcom cable from ebay £5 but will just log data.
not sure if this cable allow the bleeding of the AYC pump, it has been a long, long time since i used my VAGcom cable, i seem to remember something about removing pin 9 to be able to access the AYC ecu actuators.

2. openport 2.0 with reflash addon cable for mitsubishi.

anything else is a wast of money.

to flash a 7201 metal case ecu you will have to buy additional software MMCflash from evoscan website. you would need module 0 about £135.
all the MMCflash software does is read and write the rom to the ecu, you don't modify the rom with MMCflash, you still have to use ecuFlash for this.

ecuFlash is free software and for 7202 and 7203 (plastic case) ecus it does the reading and writing of the rom to the ecu. so you can see the benefit of having a 7202, 7203 ecu.

just to confuse things there is another itermadiate ecu that was released between the 7201 and 7202 ecu which is comonly called and H8 ecu, this has a plastic case but still requires the MMCflash software to read and write it.
but has the internal structure that allows the modified Kenneth 1.03 rom (extended fuel and ignition maps, launch control, antilag, knock detection on engine warning light) to be written to it whare as the 7201 does not support kenneths rom.

just thought i would sare the info.

nos monkeys
20-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks, I"ll just get a data logging one don't really have money to get another one and another ecu yet.

I don't want to sound dumb here but this is the cable you are taking about here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-ELM327-USB-OBD-II-2-Cable-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-/360886731913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5406868489

Because this cable is the same as the cable i can get locally ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-708085355.htm ) which i was told wouldnt work so im a tad confused.

Davezj
21-03-2014, 12:41 AM
The Vag cable is the one you want, but you will need to connect gnd pin 1.
pin 4 is Gnd so most people just connect pin 1 to pin 4 inside the cable.
but i am not most people and i don't carry the cable in the car all the time so i fitted a switch to connect pin 1 to chassis on te car which gnd. so i cab check the error codes whenever i want to in the car with a flick of the switch. Which is useful.

kiwigalant
21-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Looks like that one has the ELM327 chip too. Hmm...

Davezj
21-03-2014, 01:14 AM
you need a VAGcom cable not a elm327 weather it says it is elm327 compliant or not, it is less then $6 what more do you want. evoscan is $25 you can not complain at that. I have been using evoscan since version 0.97 i paid $25 for it and it came with free updates for life. i presume it still comes with free updates.

nos monkeys
21-03-2014, 03:15 AM
yeah ill get evoscan, and was just curious about the 2 cables since the one from ebay will take over a month to arrive here. so the one in the first link is the correct cable to buy?

Davezj
22-03-2014, 01:53 AM
yes the one in the first link looks to be the correct one.
i have not bought that particular cable but as long as it says VAGcom it should work.

nos monkeys
22-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Thanks

WillVR4
22-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Think some of the Oz guys found issues if it was the VAgCom cable without the FT232 chip.

kiwigalant
22-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Have you ordered a cable yet? I found one on fishpond for just $23!
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Electronics/Blue-USB-OBD-II-2-OBD2-KKL-4091-OBD2-Cable-VAG-COM-for-VWAUDI/9999012014954

kiwigalant
22-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Think some of the Oz guys found issues if it was the VAgCom cable without the FT232 chip.

I think it was the FTDI chip? But yeah that seemed to be necessary, I'll go back and check the one I posted.

nos monkeys
23-03-2014, 08:07 AM
nah havent brought one yet was just about to buy that one from ebay until i checked this :P will look at that one on fishpond now, Thanks for the help btw.

That one on fish pond was the same as the one on ebay. However i did do a search on ebay with the FT232 chip and i found this which is still in my price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-Scanner-Software-USB-Plastic-with-FT232RL-Chip-Software-Version-V1-5-/271430863460?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f328a4a64&vxp=mtr

Is this the one i need?

WillVR4
24-03-2014, 08:15 PM
This is the cable I recently got. Soldered pin 1 to pin 4 and works logging with Evoscan! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171175298869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Davezj
24-03-2014, 08:38 PM
i give up!

kiwigalant
24-03-2014, 09:44 PM
This is the cable I recently got. Soldered pin 1 to pin 4 and works logging with Evoscan! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171175298869?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I would get this one nos monkeys.

nos monkeys
24-03-2014, 11:11 PM
yup ill get that one. there were just so many with the same name but wanted to know it was going to work lol didnt want to buy one wait ages for it to arrive to find out it was the wrong one. thanks for the help.

kiwigalant
25-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Sweet I'll probably get it when I've got money too. Why are there never the things we want on trademe/in stores here grr.

nos monkeys
26-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Sweet I'll probably get it when I've got money too. Why are there never the things we want on trademe/in stores here grr.

So far 3 sellers that have that cable wont ship to nz, bloody useless. . . I got this one here hopefully it'l arrive lol not even sure if my payment worked or not i hate using ebay and paypal and all that crap ^.^ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vag-409-VAG-COM-409-Interface-VAG-COM-409-Cable-With-FT232RL-Chip-OBD-Diagnostic-/151230599711?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item23360bd21f&vxp=mtr

Davezj
26-03-2014, 11:28 PM
if you both want this cable then i can buy it and ship it over to you at cost.

you send me the money for the initial purchase cost, and then i will find out what the shipping will be to NZ and you can paypal me the shipping money and will send the cables.
if you want me to do that then let me know via PM with the ebay link to the cable and i will send you my paypal address and we can take it from there.
if don't hear from anybody then i will assume you don't it.

kiwigalant
26-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Check out YouShop by NZPost, you get it sent to their warehouse in the USA, or UK as well I think, and they send it over here to your address :)

nos monkeys
27-03-2014, 04:10 AM
if you both want this cable then i can buy it and ship it over to you at cost.

you send me the money for the initial purchase cost, and then i will find out what the shipping will be to NZ and you can paypal me the shipping money and will send the cables.
if you want me to do that then let me know via PM with the ebay link to the cable and i will send you my paypal address and we can take it from there.
if don't hear from anybody then i will assume you don't it.

Thanks for the offer, i'll keep it in mind if i hear nothing back about this one i just brought. hopefully it should arrive here with no problems though but this is the first thing i've brought off ebay so not 100% on how it works but ill see if the money came out from my bank tomorrow and if it did ill give it 35days to arrive if not ill try again haha

scott.mohekey
27-03-2014, 04:42 AM
I can vouch for youshop. I used it to get a Google Chromecast recently.

nos monkeys
27-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Awesome cheers, i might look into that for future buying as well.

kiwigalant
07-04-2014, 11:56 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-714777414.htm

A few VAG-COM cables on trade me at the moment