PDA

View Full Version : WTB Bonnet Catch Mechanism

Erni902
18-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Possibly want to buy a bonnet catch mechanism but must be in good condition. Phoned Mitsy today and they said they would call back but didnt so they either have no idea where to source it from or just dont want my business. Tried Camskill but they don't list them.

I say possibly as I am going to try and clean mine up, the springs have come up ok but its the release part that is all covered in crap and grime and its uber difficult to get to. Hopefully a good old soak in WD40 will do the job but if it doesnt then I will be after a replacement.

xp67
18-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Mine is pretty stiff as well - is this a common thing? I was thinking of pulling mine out to have a look at it.

Erni902
18-03-2014, 11:14 PM
No idea if its common to be honest Tom but its got to the point that at any speed over 50mph makes the bonnet pop open!! I bought some bonnet springs and planned to fit them at the end of the bonnet and stretch down to the bumper but they are slightly too taught and dont stretch quite long enough. Took mine out and it was stiff as hell and proper grimey! Ive resorted to stealing my dads bonnet catch from his VR4 and put on mine ;)

Tam
18-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Hi Rikki,

If its a case of just your springs have sagged motorbike shops sell springs for performance exhausts and dirt bike exhausts. Might be able to take th eold ones down and compare them. Can also get cable lubricaters to free up the cable.

Marc

Erni902
19-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Hi Rikki,

If its a case of just your springs have sagged motorbike shops sell springs for performance exhausts and dirt bike exhausts. Might be able to take th eold ones down and compare them. Can also get cable lubricaters to free up the cable.

Marc

Hi Marc cheers for the advice but unfortunately the springs and cables are all fine, its the mechanism that the cable releases/pulls that is all clogged up with cr@p but its a PITA to get to lol

Davezj
19-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Just spary it with WD40 and get a tooth brush in there, it will clean up fine.
my bonnet release started to stick so that when i opened the bonnet i had to push the release arm back into position before i could cluse the bonnet again, otherwise the bonnet would not click down and hold shut.
my issue was a bit of a rusty cable and the release arm pivot was a bit crudded up. the WD40 cleaned it up nicley.

Tam
19-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Hi rikki,
Are you at eurospec this Saturday. I have done stuff called breakfree that we use at work to lubricate and free things. Just let me know if you want me too bring it.

Marc

Erni902
19-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Cheers guys, Davezj I am soaking the damn thing in WD40 as we speak. I shall keep at it all day spraying and cleaning etc. I will be outside anyways as I am giving the old girl an oil change and changing the plugs as well as a few other bits and bobs.
Tam cheers matey I will let you know how the WD40 goes but yes I am off to Eurospec on saturday so if WD40 is no good then I shall kindly ask you bring it along.

Cheers guys

Rikki

Scanny
19-03-2014, 12:20 PM
bonnet pins might be an option if this persists. i had a sticky spring on the old V6 so i just kept using WD40 every so often. bonnet pins wont help with that issue but at least the bonnet wont open while driving which was my concern with the fibre glass bonnet. the corners lifted at speed so rather than trust the bonnet catch i had pins fitted to secure it

crazydriver81
19-03-2014, 09:48 PM
new bonnet lock is about 50 EUR from dealerships. Mine took 8 weeks to arrive from Jap, but since on your island exist more RHD cars, probably some dealers have a bonnet lock stocked? There is no difference amongst the 8G Galant (except RHD and LHD of course)

Erni902
20-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Yup correct Stefan Crazydriver81 got a call back finally from the stealers and they quoted £42 odd plus the VAT. but alas none in stock so up to 6 weeks from Japland apparently. I have potentially sorted it but its still not as loose as it should be, the issue is the grime between the mechanism and the plate that you just cant get to. It does operate so I will leave it as is for now and see how long it is before it sticks again. If its too soon then Ill just get a new one.

elnevio
20-03-2014, 03:07 PM
It is the sort of thing that for the money, is well worth having a new one from the dealer.

John TheAntique
20-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I've got a small ultrasonic cleaning tank ( 6 1/2" X 3 1/2" ) that I could bring down to Eurospec All you would need is some suitable solvent and a loan of one of Ben's three pin 240v sockets.