PDA

View Full Version : ECU upgrade

frankoni
22-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi all, I have an auto pfl legnum vr4 with a few basic mods, I've fitted one of Chris's stainless downpipes, decat and a 3 inch exhaust system. I've also fitted a k&n panel filter. I'm thinking of upgrading the ecu, am I right in saying the standard ecu is a 7201 260bhp and if I change it to a 7202/3 it should be 280bhp??
I'm also thinking of upgrading the intercooler, can anyone recommend any??
Cheers
Frank

TAR
22-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Stock power output is independent of the type of ECU that you have.

Pre-facelift auto was 260 BHP
Pre-Facelift & Facelift manual was 280 BHP
Facelift auto was 280 BHP

You most likely have a 7201 (metal case) ECU which can be flashed using MMC Flash
You could upgrade to a later 7202 or 7203 (plastic case) ECU which can be flashed with ECUFlash.

There are quite a few threads on here about peoples experience doing this.

For the intercooler, again there are lots of threads about this. You can spend lots and get a model specific one or pay less and get a generic one from eBay. There are pro and cons with both.

:happy:

frankoni
23-03-2014, 01:58 PM
So is the facelift ecu a straight swap ?? Does the facelift still have the traction controll ??

CANDEE
23-03-2014, 10:40 PM
So is the facelift ecu a straight swap ?? Does the facelift still have the traction controll ??
Yes it is a straight swap. It doesnt bolt in like the metal ecu does though, but nothing a bit of duct tape wont fix. Traction control is an option on the FL cars so it does still work. I have had a fl ecu in my old leggie and everything worked fine.

frankoni
23-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Cheers for the reply Candee, so what number ecu do I need 7202/03 ?? Or am I better off having the one I've got flashed ?

TAR
23-03-2014, 11:30 PM
you can make more modifications to the 7202/7203 ECU's. There isn't really any difference in what you can do with these two.

You could get some sensible gains from a modified 7201 ECU.

You could also buy a Map2ECU (pigybaack ECU) and have that mapped

:happy:

fassi1
23-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi all, I have an auto pfl legnum vr4 with a few basic mods, I've fitted one of Chris's stainless downpipes, decat and a 3 inch exhaust system. I've also fitted a k&n panel filter. I'm thinking of upgrading the ecu, am I right in saying the standard ecu is a 7201 260bhp and if I change it to a 7202/3 it should be 280bhp??
I'm also thinking of upgrading the intercooler, can anyone recommend any??
Cheers
Frank
What kind of back box do you have? Does it have the same 3inch ID diameter as all the rest of the exhaust?
Swapping ECUs wont guarantee good result. I reckon each car should be tuned indvidually.
Stock rome is very good base, it only needs few tweaks.

frankoni
24-03-2014, 12:44 AM
The back box is an Apexi 3 inch, the middle section is 3 inch until it gets to the cat where it narrows for the cat, also got a decat on,You say a few tweaks , what like??

fassi1
24-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Hava a look inside of your back box. Most I come across had 3inch entrance and big at least 4inch tip but inside only 2.25inch clearance.
if you run ebc you may onky need to tweak injector scaling, afr and timing advance tables.