PDA

View Full Version : Fault codes 71 and 77 vacuum / ventilation solenoids

Braddy40
24-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi , I have owned a v6 Galant for the past 5 years and I am in the process of buying a vr4 Legnum which has an engine management issue causing fault codes 71 and 77. Would anyone have any information on this or past experience as I would be very grateful? Is it a serious issue as I have been informed that engine management lights staying on are going to become an automatic failure in the near future.

Nick Mann
24-03-2014, 02:26 PM
/Welcome

A bit more info would be good, as your description is not quite complete. How did you get the codes? Which system/ecu is reporting the codes? Which lights are on the dash?

The check engine light and TCL light coming on together and staying on is usually indicative of a vacuum system issue for the traction control. This is usually not a big issue, sometimes as daft as an old pipe not sealing properly. The system is found on the bulkhead near the throttle body and has a few thin rubber hoses going from the throttle body to some solenoids on the bulkhead, via a small plastic canister. Just reseating all the pipes and the electrical plugs to the solenoids can sometimes solve the problem.

If the car is what you want and this is the only issue, I wouldn;t let it put you off, but I would certainly try and use it as a bargaining chip for a bit of money off!

Hope that helps.

Braddy40
24-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful advice. I am about to set off on a four and a half hour journey to view and hopefully buy it.
Sorry about the lack of detail.The codes were from the present owners diagnostic machine. The owner did clean the system and it solved the problem for a short time. I was worried I might be opening a can of worms and taking on someone else's problem.

SGHOM
24-03-2014, 03:13 PM
It's a VR4..... you're always taking on problems ! ;)

Braddy40
28-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Sorry for my late reply!
I bought the Legnum and am very happy! I have owned V6 Galants in the past but have always wanted a Vr4. The power is unbelievable compared to preludes and civics I've owned in the past.
The Engine and TCL light stayed off during my visit to buy the car and has now 3 days later decided to come back on as I was slowly driving up a steep hill. On restarting the car the lights have stayed off. Guess its something that is only going to get worse and as the initial codes given by the previous owner (71 and 77) and Nick Mann's helpful suggestion will focus on cleaning and possibly replacing the 2 solenoids.
The legnum was purchased from Andy in Northampton and is in excellent original condition. The drivebelt area seems a bit noisey which isnt tappet noise and hope it is a simple case of new belts and tensioner.
Thanks again for the reply

babasvr4
30-03-2014, 05:00 AM
I had these both show up on my Galant but it was being reported via Evoscan.
Using the flashes only and shorting pins 1 & 4 it was actually the AYC power relay
located next to the battery, opened it up realigned the contacts and polished them with 600 wet n dry.
I went through the rigmarole or testing and cleaning the solenoids etc and did find massive amounts
of what I assume is dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion and provide a good contact.

Engine and TCL lights also flashed on and off for me.
Hope you have a ball in the new car Braddy!
As Nick and Dave always..."trust the flashes".