PDA

View Full Version : Dead battery

John TheAntique
27-03-2014, 04:06 PM
My battery was totally dead last night after I'd left it standing for 2 1/2 days. I've got it on charge now but I've just noticed the back door is not fully closed, on the latch so to speak, and I'm just wondering if the interior light could have been on. Would this have drained the battery after such a short time. I can't check it out until I put it back as the back doors are locked and if it's not that how am I going to find out what is draining it?

zanzibar
27-03-2014, 04:11 PM
i left my light on for 12 hours once and it drained my old tiny jap battery, so defo think your light is the cause.

Davezj
27-03-2014, 04:22 PM
depending on the size of the battery yes the interior light can drain the battery quite quickly.

that will teach you for not driving her every day. she has got the hump with you.

Atik
27-03-2014, 05:07 PM
The secret is to go all dark. Ninja-like. Take out all the lights then you can leave the doors open :p

I can do that with mine. I also have the extra Ninja option of smoke bombs to hide in! /lol

John TheAntique
27-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Atik, that is brill but will if affect my ejector seat?

TAR
27-03-2014, 08:13 PM
John, best to check the current draw on the battery with everything off, then check it with the boot open. You will see if its a large current draw.

Someone on another thread mentioned that the old bulbs can flatten a battery pretty quickly, so may be worth getting LED bulbs as replacements.

:happy:

scott.mohekey
27-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I've had a flat battery after leaving the boot open for as little as 6 hours or so.

Nick Mann
27-03-2014, 08:44 PM
It depends on the battery and the wattage of the bulb. Typically a reasonable car battery would be 60Ah ish. If the bulb is only 5W then it will be just under half an amp, so a maximum of 5 days from full charge to dodo status. Double the wattage, half the time. If the bulb is 10W and the battery is an older tired 40Ah then 2 days is plenty to kill the battery.

Atik
27-03-2014, 08:46 PM
I've also drained a battery with an open boot in around 8-10hrs.

And John, the ejector seat option must be top of the range Uber-Ninja mode. You don't see Ninja approach and you don't see him leave! Lol

Nick Mann
27-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah, thinking about it, is it possible to leave a door open and only have one light on? Multiple lights will obviously flatten the battery faster.

WOODY72
27-03-2014, 09:54 PM
LED deffo the way to go, much brighter as well. Got mine off fleabay!