PDA

View Full Version : Trunk "popper" fitment

GalantOnly
29-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Just to share something with you, guys... :)

If you ever considered to buy those China trunk release kits with those very ugly red/green/whatever-strange-colour buttons for saloons, because you're very tired to use the key for that, or just want to remote open it with your fancy alarm and impress some lame chicks......

I found out, that this is the easiest way to connect the solenoid to the locking unit, instead of trying to attach it to the same place, where original "pull-wire" is:

Very straight forward and takes about 10 mins to attach whole thing inside the trunk. And it's strong enough to pull it up without any hesitations at this angle /yes

GalantOnly
29-03-2014, 03:48 AM

And the wiring idea...
The button is outside and can only be activated while the ignition is ON (the head unit is on).

MarkSanne
30-03-2014, 09:31 AM
When I bought my first 8G (the VR2) I had a company build in a 2-way alarm system with remote start and a similar trunk release popper. I disconnected it after a few months as:
1. it made the manual trunk release from inside the car unusable
2. pushing a button on the remote for 2-3 seconds isn't really much of a convenience when you have your hands full with e.g. groceries
3. the trunk still doesn't open op, it's just unlocked! so you have the remote control in hand, but you still need to use 'something' to lift up the trunk, effectively less convenient than just putting in the key and lifting it in 1 move.

Well, this is my my experience, maybe your idea is better than what I had Alex, but the 'killer-application' would be if the trunk would completely open up :)

GalantOnly
30-03-2014, 12:43 PM
It's the statement (1), I tried to avoid, Mark. Because the common technic for alarm installing companys, is just to use the same lever for the popper, that original wire is attached to (cause they don't want to waste any time trying to find better options). And it may jam the manual opener...:)

GalantOnly
30-03-2014, 01:48 PM
And for fully open version... The spring must be stiffen up a bit... Maybe like that:

The downside of it can be "smashing" of the tailgate up like crazy...:)

Or just use some small dampers instead of springs...