PDA

View Full Version : Quick Brembo Advice

bernmc
13-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I've found a set of brembos+discs off a lancer evo 6. My Legnum is a 96 - pre-facelift. As I undertand it from reading these forums, I can use lancer 4 bits, but need different hubs for 6 bits? The seller says the calipers will fit a 4 with the bolts supplied (?longer than the 6's), but he's not sure about the hubs.

Anyone know for sure?

psbarham
13-02-2005, 11:29 AM
as far as i know the stud pattern is the same for the vr4 & evo so you should be able to drop the disc's straight on its whether or not the caliper flanges (childish snigger) line up with the vr4 ones on the the hub carrier , if they are not to bad then a local engineering company should be able to knock up a couple of adaptors for next to nowt.

mike
13-02-2005, 12:49 PM
The discs will go on with a little playing about with the back plates - i.e. remove from the front setup.

The calipers however will not fit on a '96. The offset is the same but the bolt hole centres on the hub carrier is different to the calipers - you can't get adapters made as there isn't the room. The only option is to replace the hubs and carriers with post '98 ones - which I've been trying to find for ages to no avail!!

Have you already bought the calipers or how much are they up for?

Mike.

bernmc
13-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Have you already bought the calipers or how much are they up for?

No, I haven't bought yet - wanted to be sure. £550 pre negotiation ;)

psbarham
13-02-2005, 01:17 PM
i'm still fairly certain a good engineering company could do something even if means moving the calipers round by an inch , if you were a bit closer i could take a look and make up some patterns for you , this would also come in handy for me as i've been looking at the same calipers for mine . the other possibility is a set of a 3000gto they would also be cheaper coz they haven't come of an evo!!

bernmc
13-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm still waiting for my car which is on a boat atm! So do the GTO's have brembos then..? I must have a look... Can't afford to be sitting with £500 worth of bits that I cant use though.

When the car arrives, I'll have a good look at what's going on with the discs and calipers, and then try to go from there. May be a good excuse for a little trip and a visit (remember me - in the pub - about three years ago... you said if I was ever in the area :) )

Zeke
13-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm still waiting for my car which is on a boat atm! So do the GTO's have brembos then..? I must have a look... Can't afford to be sitting with £500 worth of bits that I cant use though.

When the car arrives, I'll have a good look at what's going on with the discs and calipers, and then try to go from there. May be a good excuse for a little trip and a visit (remember me - in the pub - about three years ago... you said if I was ever in the area :) )

A friend has a JDM GTO. They have Mitsubishi OEM brakes (not brembos) with insanely huge calipers. Even if the rotors fit the calipers certainly wouldn't.
:thumbsdow

Sulli
13-02-2005, 04:42 PM
They'd fit mine (MY2000) ;)
Looked at a few for sale on MLR though, and they were going for £300-£400 I think, for discs and calipers.

Zeke
13-02-2005, 04:58 PM
They'd fit mine (MY2000) ;)
Looked at a few for sale on MLR though, and they were going for £300-£400 I think, for discs and calipers.
:o
Then you must have rims with BIG clearance! Once installed the GTO calipers protrude ~12cm out from the disc plate.
This is why GTO owners are very limited to their selection of rims and often go for the 3-spoke ADVANs.

Sulli
13-02-2005, 05:01 PM
:o
Then you must have rims with BIG clearance! Once installed the GTO calipers have ~12cm depth from just the disc plate.
I meant the Brembos.
Not sure about the GTO ones - I have 18" BBS RX's???
Not in a position to buy at the minute anyway, plus discs and pads are brand new. If I ever have any spare cash again, /brembos are on my list /yes

Zeke
13-02-2005, 05:12 PM
If I ever have any spare cash again, /brembos are on my list /yes

:2thumbsup

bernmc
13-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Another quick Q: would an EVO 1's alloys fit my pre-facelift hubs?

psbarham
13-02-2005, 09:34 PM
i think the early evo's are 4 stud , as for the gto calipers and i had a sneaky peek at our local one in tescos car park and they didn't look that much bigger than the ones fitted to the new evo , the other option is look up brembo/ap racing/ 4 pot calipers on e-bay a while back there was a set of magnesium brembo's off a vanquish they'd look cool just imagine going to get some new pads from halfrauds that'd be so funny (mental image of spotty youth looking on their computor and saying i've got austin and audi but no aston martin are you sure sir???) tee hee . any way you don't want to come round here for it is a silly place . oh dear it's started again!!

bernmc
13-02-2005, 11:53 PM
i think the early evo's are 4 stud
Well spotted that man! Just had a look at an EVO1 and they are 4 stud :(

You lot are determined to make this difficult for me, aren't you!

psbarham
14-02-2005, 12:13 AM
ah but it makes it easier for me coz my little old V6 is 4 stud, ooh that gives me an idea that my missus might not understand /grr oh well i'm sure she'll get round to my way of thinking ...NOT