PDA

View Full Version : LHR power window not working...

Poita
02-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi all,

I am stumped. The left hand rear power window isn't working. All the other switches are working, windows go up and down.
But neither the drivers switch or the passenger door switch work for this particular window.

There are 3 wires going to the switch. Red/Black, Green/Black and Black.
The Black seems to be the common. When the switch is pressed up or down this cable is shorted to either the Red/Black or Green/Black.
I measured the volts and they all are high, none is ground which I thought was a bit odd, but I don't know what the circuit is so am not sure how it is set up.
I can't hear any clicks from a relay, groans from a stuck motor or anything. Just nothing.

I bought a second hand power window motor assembly and just plugged the cable into that (didn't install it in the door just held it to see if it did anything). Nothing. So either I'm unlucky and my second hand motor assembly is dead as well or something else is the problem.

I have tried another switch from another car and still no luck. It happened when I installed new speaker cables but I can't see any obvious signs of any damaged wires.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Pete

Poita
09-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or pinout description which might be helpful? I have an oscilloscope which I can use as from what I can find out by reading it is a CAN bus communications setup. But it would be helpful to know what wire does what.

Rich101
03-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Go back n check the screws haven't broke the wire or pinched n stretched it plastic might b intact but wire snapped. Take loom out of door n with a mate or girlfriend get them to work the button n u bend each wire near to the speaker screws

Rich101
03-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Will have a look on my car tomorrow to see wat u might of done

Rich101
03-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Wat car u got

GalantOnly
03-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Don't bother the switch. Measure on the yellow/blue wire to the window motor. Must be 12V when ignition is ON. Then check for continuity between black wire on the motor and chassis.

Davezj
04-05-2014, 08:50 AM
If this is in a VR4 then the wiring is none standard as the only door that has multiple switches on it is the drivers door. All other doors should just have the single switch to oppersate that doors window. Has someone fitted a multi switch window contral to the passenger door as well. This could be a whole heap of trouble.
I say this as you comment that you are trying to operate the rear windows from the passenger side as well as the drivers door.

You do realise there is a window lock on the driver window control panel? This stops the other windows in the car from being operated from anywhere in the car other than the driver door control panel. I am assuming you do know this as you say the other windows work.

I had a none working window in the rear, it turned out to be the plug in the switch had not been pushed in all the way a little extra push and it clicked into possition.